Brewer Fanatic

2020 Standings and Playoff Races Discussion

Eye Black

Wait, how can the brewers be #6 when they take the first and second place teams from each division, that would be Cubs and Cards, right? Must be based on the fact the Cardinals haven't played so many games so we get bumped to second place?

Giants have a better record than us, they are not in?

Marlins have a better record than us, not in?

Mets have the exact same record as us, not in?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, how can the brewers be #6 when they take the first and second place teams from each division, that would be Cubs and Cards, right? Must be based on the fact the Cardinals haven't played so many games so we get bumped to second place?

This morning the Brewers were second place in the NL Central. They had a better winning percentage than the Cardinals before today’s games. The second place teams from each division will fill the #4-#6 spots regardless of whether the third place teams in other divisions have better records.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This morning the Brewers were second place in the NL Central. They had a better winning percentage than the Cardinals before today’s games. The second place teams from each division will fill the #4-#6 spots regardless of whether the third place teams in other divisions have better records.

ok, should have looked at the time it was posted. Makes sense now.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This Phillies Braves game is wild.

Braves hung a 10 spot in Arietta on the 2nd.....10-0 lead.

Braves started Tommy Milone who ARod compared to Jamey Moyer.......well he gave up a run in the 2nd and then got got knocked out in the 3rd.

Now 10-7 in the 4th.......

Saw the Reds made some more win now type trades. They're just determined to be all in in spite of the blah results. Can't blame the FO really, team on paper is good. guys on the field have to do it now.

GM knows that if they don't do something this year, he's going to be out of a job. That team has been lesser than the sum of its parts for years.

Saw the Reds made some more win now type trades. They're just determined to be all in in spite of the blah results. Can't blame the FO really, team on paper is good. guys on the field have to do it now.

GM knows that if they don't do something this year, he's going to be out of a job. That team has been lesser than the sum of its parts for years.

Very much like the Nats until last year...

i'm glad there is baseball this summer. Even with a bad next 10 days the brewers could get hot in the last 2 weeks and make this season more fun than it has been, anyway. 10 of the last 16 against the Cards and 3 more against the Reds in that final stretch means that anything can happen.

Updated playoff probability tiers with 538/FanGraphs odds...

Tier 1 (virtual locks): LAD (>99%/100%) ATL (>99%/99%) CHI (99%/99%) SDP (99%/99%)

Tier 2 (leg up on 5/6 seeds): PHI (82%/86%) STL (78%/71%)

Tier 3 (battling it out for last two spots): MIL (55%/53%) SFG (39%/42%) CIN (35%/40%) COL (35%/35%) NYM (32%/40%) MIA (32%/29%)

Tier 4 (better luck next year): WAS (10%/5%) ARI (6%/3%) PIT (<1%/0.1%)

Heard this stat on the Effectively Wild podcast today and turns out it’s true...

The Giants and the Brewers are currently both two games under .500 and are the first two teams out of the NL playoff picture. The Giants have 7 hitters in their regular lineup with a higher OPS+ than the Brewers best hitter’s OPS+. The Brewers best hitter in terms of OPS+, Christian Yelich, is actually currently tied with the Giants 7th highest mark (Brandon Crawford) at a 118 OPS+.

The 6 other Giants hitters above Crawford/Yelich are as follows:

Brandon Belt (183 OPS+)

Mike Yastrzemski (176 OPS+)

Alex Dickerson (140 OPS+)

Donovan Solano (133 OPS+)

Wilmer Flores (131 OPS+)

Evan Longoria (127 OPS+)

If you are wondering, Mauricio Dubon currently has an OPS+ of 83.

Another Giants player, OF Austin Slater, has an OPS+ of 203, but is on the IL and has just 59 total plate appearances.

The Giants currently being out of the playoff picture with a lineup that hot is sort of incredible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

EyeBlack up early (or staying up late) to give us the latest playoff picture!

ws7i1Ed.png

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
EyeBlack up early (or staying up late) to give us the latest playoff picture!

ws7i1Ed.png

Pretty sure his bio says "Global Moderator". Since he might be moderating from anywhere on the globe, who knows what time it is where he is?

He may not even follow time as a straight line and instead as a recurring loop by which he posts after we have already read the post which he just posted.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Where in the World is EyeBlack San Diego?

:laughing :laughing I loved that show, but the final “bonus round” was effectively the same odds as winning the grand prize on the jug toss at the county fair.

He may not even follow time as a straight line and instead as a recurring loop by which he posts after we have already read the post which he just posted.

Close, just a little more wild than that.

The Cubs started the season 13-3, but have gone just 12-16 in games since August 14th.

Makes sense, they were never some juggernaut. Plus with injuries to Chatwood, Quintana and Bryant. They were always more a true win 84-88 win team over a full season anyways so that’s just natural/deserved regression. They probably are due to play a little bit better here soon. But hopefully not until after the weekend.

It’s looking most likely the NL Central champion will get the #3 overall playoff seed, and the 2nd place finisher in the NL Central will get the #6 seed. Meaning, the first round of the playoffs would feature two NL Central teams facing off against each other. I wouldn’t exactly hate the Brewers chances in a 3-game playoff series against the Cubs.

One other observation, I think the Brewers will need to finish .500 to make the playoffs. At this point that will require a 10-8 finish going forward.

It’s looking most likely the NL Central champion will get the #3 overall playoff seed, and the 2nd place finisher in the NL Central will get the #6 seed. Meaning, the first round of the playoffs would feature two NL Central teams facing off against each other. I wouldn’t exactly hate the Brewers chances in a 3-game playoff series against the Cubs.

One other observation, I think the Brewers will need to finish .500 to make the playoffs. At this point that will require a 10-8 finish going forward.

Granted, who knows once you get to the postseason, but I'd much rather be the six or seven seed than the five seed. Avoid the Dodgers and Padres in the first two rounds.

I thought there was some “event television” selection show with the top seeds picking whom they are playing. Or was this just something discussed but never officially made to happen? If it is, why the speculation of whom anyone would play?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I thought there was some “event television” selection show with the top seeds picking whom they are playing. Or was this just something discussed but never officially made to happen? If it is, why the speculation of whom anyone would play?

That was discussed, but they went with a specific seeding system instead. The three division winners get the top three seeds (#1-#3), the second place teams in each division get the next three seeds (#4-#6), and the two remaining teams with the best records get the “wild card” seeds (#7-#8).

This has been one of the least enjoyable Brewer teams to watch in recent memory. I'm not even sure I'd want to watch them beyond 60 games.

Devin Williams and Corbin Burnes have been fun to watch.

That's literally it.

A season like this would make watching following the minor league system that much more interesting.

When the team looks as bad as this, you want to at least see what's up and coming. Burnes and Williams at least provide some of that...

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived