Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-12: Twins (Maeda) at Brewers (Lauer) [Brewers lose, 12-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I can see Trego's point on Santana. I thought he was a pretty good value sign for the Indians. They got him on a small deal plus a team option year, similar to what we gave a lot of our vets this year.

Problem with Santana is that you don't want him playing the field much, but with the DH next year and this year that would have been avoided.

Career stat wise and age wise, Garcia and Santana compare quite closely. For 10M a year for Avasail compared to what Santana got, I can see the value. He was still a reasonably decent hitter last year.

Garcia still may turn out to be a decent sign, it's too early to say. But most of us were quite fond of Santana's bat when he was a Brewer. I think it's a little biased to act like he's crap now just a year removed when he was pretty much the same hitter he always was during that year.

So in keeping with the spirit of this disaster, what is the biggest Major League game blowout you've witnessed live? Mine was the Brewers over the Yankees 14-0 at old County Stadium in 82 or 83.

Was on a business trip in Denver. Saw Rockies beat the Dbacks 19-2.

So in keeping with the spirit of this disaster, what is the biggest Major League game blowout you've witnessed live? Mine was the Brewers over the Yankees 14-0 at old County Stadium in 82 or 83.

Several 8-1, 9-2, etc type games, mainly against the Reds. I remember driving from Madison when Dave Bush was pitching and before we got to our seats it was like 3-0 in the first and we seriously contemplated just going back to our car.

You should really look up his numbers. Hell, I wasn’t even sure he was on a big league team still.

.450 SLG % and .800 OPS for his career so far ... the Brewers could use a hitter with those stats on this year's team I'd say.

Career numbers do not mean that is what you’re going to get, unfortunately. He’s really had one stellar season that helps inflate his career numbers a bit with a few solid ones before that. Then he fell off the cliff and hasn’t found his way back. He’s just not a very good hitter on top of being a lousy fielder. He’s just not good.

He didn’t fall off a cliff...his one great season does seem to be an outlier though. He has posted at least a .740 OPS every single year of his career. Garcia? He has done it a grand ole 2 times and has had two more years in the MLB compared to Santana. Garcia also has two sub .700 OPS seasons.

I will take Garcia...but I think Garcia is a vastly overrated acquisition and not all that great himself.

Opening Day, 2015. The one time I went to opening day and the last. The worst value in Major League Baseball.

10-0 blowout

He didn’t fall off a cliff...his one great season does seem to be an outlier though. He has posted at least a .740 OPS every single year of his career. Garcia? He has done it a grand ole 2 times and has had two more years in the MLB compared to Santana. Garcia also has two sub .700 OPS seasons.

I will take Garcia...but I think Garcia is a vastly overrated acquisition and not all that great himself.

Yeah pretty much this. Honestly, if you put the profiles of Santana and Garcia side by side without showing me names and show me the contracts, I would have guessed Stearns would have done the Santana contract every time. It just seems like an odd signing with little value. You're basically counting on a breakout from a 29 year old for it to pay off.

The major league product is a mess. The minor leagues are considered one of the three or four worst in baseball. I feel like I'm back in the Sal Bando ERA. Stearns has earned some credit but he's spending it fast.

Hard to believe just two short years ago he finished 2nd in Executive of the Year voting.

The major league product is a mess. The minor leagues are considered one of the three or four worst in baseball. I feel like I'm back in the Sal Bando ERA. Stearns has earned some credit but he's spending it fast.

LOL ... I lost count of how many times you gave up on last year's team.

I'm probably forgetting one somewhere but opening day 2016 lost to the Giants 12-3. Back in 2006 against the Tigers they lost 10-1. Rick Helling threw an immaculate inning in the 1st and it was all downhill from there and also the home opener in 2004 but that ended up closer than I remember. They were losing 13-4 going to the bottom of the 8th and scored 3 to make the final 13-7.

You still commenting on things you don't agree with. New name same tired act. I forgot all is well. Go Brewers!!

You still commenting on things you don't agree with. New name same tired act. I forgot all is well. Go Brewers!!

Just pointing out facts my man. I do agree ... this year's team is not last years. This year's team looks pretty flat.

Hard to believe just two short years ago he finished 2nd in Executive of the Year voting.

Yes. The thing is Stearns has proven to be a smart guy who does well with some bargain bin types. Just not an entire roster made up of them.

Archived