Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-11: Twins (Clippard/Bullpen) at Brewers (Lindblom) [Brewers win 6-4 -- Piña hits two HRs, Gyorko hits go ahead HR in 8th]

Eye Black

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Twins last bullpen game, a 3-1 win over Cleveland, they used the following 6 bullpen pitchers:

[pre]PITCHERS IP

T. Clippard 2.0

D. Smeltzer 2.2

M. Wisler 1.1

T. Duffey 1.0

T. May 1.0

S. Romo 1.0[/pre]

The last three of those pitchers threw in last night’s game, here is how the Brewers hitters have fared against the first three...

Tyler Clippard (Batter vs. Pitcher)

Devin Smeltzer (Batter vs. Pitcher)

Matt Wisler (Batter vs. Pitcher)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Two vents:

1) There should be NO TV blackouts this year. You can't attend the game, so why are blackout rules still in effect?

2) The game is in Milwaukee. Why am I blacked out in the Twin Cities???

:angry /rant

No TV blackouts should be in effect this year.

Is Fox Sports Wisconsin blacked out on your TV? Is the game available on Fox Sports North?

I'm not so sure about blackouts via the MLB app, since the conditions for that haven't changed due to COVID-19. If you're using the MLB app to watch the game in the Twin Cities, you aren't watching the commercials that would run during Fox Sports North's broadcast. That's how it is here in Central PA whenever the Brewers play Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, or Washington: you have to watch the game on the local regional cable sports network and not the app. I can understand why that might still be in effect. (But don't get me started on Iowa and MLB broadcasts and app blackouts there; lived through that foolishness.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yes, I'm watching MLB.TV. Last year, I could watch the Twins/Brewers games in Milwaukee because I live in the Minneapolis area. Not sure why that changed.

And having paid for the subscription, I'm not sure why not watching commercials would matter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Excited to see more Lindblom filth. Hopefully he can keep it sorta near the zone.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes, I'm watching MLB.TV. Last year, I could watch the Twins/Brewers games in Milwaukee because I live in the Minneapolis area. Not sure why that changed.

You shouldn't have been able to. If you're in the Minneapolis area all Twins games, home and away, should be blacked out.

And having paid for the subscription, I'm not sure why not watching commercials would matter.

Teams make lots of money on local TV deals. The local channels make their money on commercials. The home market games are blacked out on MLB.TV to force you to watch the local channel so the ad dollars and TV deal money stays rolling in.

Two vents:

1) There should be NO TV blackouts this year. You can't attend the game, so why are blackout rules still in effect?

Why would you want to watch this version of the Milwaukee Brewers? I ask myself this question every day.

Braun will serve as the DH tonight.

Through 15 games here are the players that have served as Brewers’ DH (including number of times)...

Logan Morrison (4)

Ryan Braun (4)

Keston Hiura (2)

Ryon Healy (2)

Avisail Garcia (1)

Justin Smoak (1)

Christian Yelich (1)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

You shouldn't have been able to. If you're in the Minneapolis area all Twins games, home and away, should be blacked out.

Teams make lots of money on local TV deals. The local channels make their money on commercials. The home market games are blacked out on MLB.TV to force you to watch the local channel so the ad dollars and TV deal money stays rolling in.

Yup, the later is the reason black outs still exist...doesn’t have much to do with trying to get people to attend games. You could argue black outs are even more important and relevant this year.

Community Moderator

NL DHs are hitting .213/.302/.371

Only 3 NL teams have accumulated >0 bWAR from the DH position.

That said, the NL is outscoring the AL this year. And those crappy DH numbers are still twice as good as what pitchers were hitting last year.

For the most part the DH is a spot to throw a replacement-level player.

Two vents:

I've been angry at MLB for years over this. I'm a cord cutter and would be willing to pay for an mlb.tv deal just to get the brewers, but it had been literally impossible to get it w/o a cable or satellite subscription (and associated fees and contracts). Thus I always ended up watching pirated broadcasts on the internet.

However, Hulu turned me into an honest citizen. Half the price of cable/sat and gets everything I want on a month to month basis with no contracts or equipment. Gets like every sports channel (except MLB network, NBATV, and NFL Net). All the ESPNs, FS 1/2, WIs, North+alternates, B1G, NBCSN, CBSSports, golf channel, etc.

Brewers are always behind by no later than the third inning and the Bucks are going through the motions. I expect the MLS tournament final to be more entertaining than either.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Just saw Braun was back but stunned they got rid of Mathias to do it. I should not be but I am. Unbelievable.

Well, Urias came back yesterday, so it was more like Braun for Morrison and Urias for Mathias. And they just sent Mathias down. They had to DFA Morrison though.

Archived