Brewer Fanatic

2020-08-08: Reds (DeSclafani) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 4-1]

Eye Black
Hiura reminds me so much of Weeks. Elite bat speed, tons of strikeouts and awful defense.

They are oddly similar. Hiura struggles with the high fastball and Weeks always struggled with the slider low and away.

Hiura is way worse on defense though. Weeks, when he hit, had bad defense you could live with. Hiura? Even when he is hitting he has a noodle arm, horrid throws, and embarrassing fielding. It’s honestly amazing how much Hiura embarrassing himself with basic routine plays. It’s not just dumb decisions with throws...it is flat out bad throws when they should be simple.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that Hiura likely ends up a DH sooner than later, but left field would be another position they could try to get him experience at in the offseason/spring training before punting.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I agree that Hiura likely ends up a DH sooner than later, but left field would be another position they could try to get him experience at in the offseason/spring training before punting.

Hiura cannot play left field with that arm.

Does Hiura have the yips? Looks like it.

That would infer he typically has fielding skills...he does not.

We've probably watched him the same amount of times. I would say his biggest issue are his throws, but yeah it's not like he's got a great glove but can't throw.

I’m not sure he can even attempt it with his arm. His throws from 2nd are weak, let alone deep in the outfield.

The way he struggles with the basics he likely wouldn’t be a great fielder in the outfield either even before factoring in his arm. People hated Khris Davis and his weak arm.... but Davis graded out decently in other outfield stats (routes/reaction time). I’d guess he would be as bad or even worse than Khris Davis.

Not against attempting it...but it probably will end poorly.

Hiura reminds me so much of Weeks. Elite bat speed, tons of strikeouts and awful defense.

Weeks didn't strike out that much. Only 23.4% Hiura so far has struck out in 31.3% of his plate appearances.

2 days ago CC was talking about all the hard work that Hiura has put in to,improve himself defensively and how great it was for him to see the results.

Fast forward after 2 bad games and here we are........good times.

Its not a matter of effort with Hiura he just will never be even decent defensively. Luckily he can hit and we will probably have the DH going forward so he does still have value.

Urias better be good because Grisham looks like a potential star.

I remember a few years ago I mentioned if he finds a way to hit just a little he would be a great asset to a team. He has consistently held an OBP .100 points higher than his AVG...that’s incredible. Even a .250 average gives him a .350 OBP which is quite decent in today’s game. Add in his speed and you have a real sweet #1 or #2 hitter.

Always liked him since they drafted him...hope he makes us look dumb to be honest.

Urias better be good because Grisham looks like a potential star.

I remember a few years ago I mentioned if he finds a way to hit just a little he would be a great asset to a team. He has consistently held an OBP .100 points higher than his AVG...that’s incredible. Even a .250 average gives him a .350 OBP which is quite decent in today’s game. Add in his speed and you have a real sweet #1 or #2 hitter.

Always liked him since they drafted him...hope he makes us look dumb to be honest.

I just hope that Urias pans out because we sure could use a high OBP bat like Grisham who is really starting to show power as well.

Nyjer Morgan stuck his elbow out like that once and the ump called it a strike...want to say it was Joe West.

I'm pretty sure it was Bob Davidson.

You are correct sir. It was a huge power move by that ump. I remember him looking at the dugout looking for someone to eject when Morgan struck out.

Hiura cannot play left field with that arm.

His arm would no doubt be below average for even a left fielder, but I wouldn’t say he couldn’t do it. As MrTPlush mentioned it would come down to other skills beyond arm strength. His arm would probably play pretty similar to Khris Davis’, which again is certainly well below average.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Anderson experiment should be ended. He isn't any good.

It should have never started.

This roster construction is a hot disaster in this young season.

Agreed. It's like they said let's bring in every journeyman in the league and make a run.

Archived