Brewer Fanatic

2020-07-26: Brewers (Peralta) at Cubs (Chatwood) [Brewers lose, 9-1 -- Eric Lauer makes strong Brewers debut]

Eye Black
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How many lineups have more than 2 studs? It can’t be that many.

It's not so much the studs, its what comes after.

Exactly. Moustakas is by no means a superstar, but going from him to Gyorkgard at 3B is a substantial downgrade. The Brewers took the quantity over quality approach to this offseason, and while a few of these guys will get hot at points, the offense will likely lack consistency.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nice showing from Lauer, he looks nasty vs. lefties.

K meister

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don’t mind our roster makeup but none of our players looks to be hot to start the year and in a 60 game season, that’s tough.

The flip side of that is you probably only need 30 wins to make the playoffs this year. But yeah, they look like they just started spring training this weekend.

Probably need about 25 wins to make the playoffs actually.

I would be really surprised if 25 wins makes the playoffs unless it is in a division in which 25 wins is good enough for second place. I don’t think that will happen in the NL Central.

The last two years 9 of the 15 NL teams have finished over .500 and I wouldn’t expect it to be that different this “season”. Maybe this year will be different because the bad teams will be in theoretical contention longer, but usually as things wind down the contending teams feast on the teams that have given up. In a division like the NL Central there could be 4 teams close to .500 with the Pirates lagging behind. If one division has 4 teams close to .500 that would eliminate everyone else from wild card contention.

I think it’s more likely that exactly 30 wins falls short than that 25 wins gets in.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Hopes that Yelich was snapping out of his slump with the HR and line drive in his last two ABs yesterday were dashed pretty quickly. Summer Camp Yelich returned today.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

There's 3 more playoff spots in each league. 5 wildcard teams. (3 division winners, 3 second place teams, 2 next best records)

I could definitely see a 25-28 win team getting in.

25-28 wins is significantly different than the original statement that all a team needs is 25 wins. In a 60 game season a difference of 3 games is like a difference of 8 games in a 162 game season.

I would say that a team with 28 wins is maybe 50-50 and a team with 25 wins is most likely out.

This Grimm guy is putting on a show.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Love when Brian and Bill pick out the scrubs having a decent spring training and proclaiming that they turned their career around and they inevitably turn back into scrubs when the regular season starts because they aren't facing other scrubs anymore. Justin Grimm is one of those guys.

There's 3 more playoff spots in each league. 5 wildcard teams. (3 division winners, 3 second place teams, 2 next best records)

I could definitely see a 25-28 win team getting in.

25-28 wins is significantly different than the original statement that all a team needs is 25 wins. In a 60 game season a difference of 3 games is like a difference of 8 games in a 162 game season.

I would say that a team with 28 wins is maybe 50-50 and a team with 25 wins is most likely out.

I think this is close to accurate. The 98-99 NBA season had 50 games, 16 teams, and nobody was below .500 in the field. Worst team was 25-25. Not a perfect comp by any means, but decent.

In each of the eight seasons since the implementation of the second Wild Card expanded the playoff field to five teams per league, the club with its league’s fifth-best record through 60 games has always fallen between 30-34 victories, averaging between 32-33.

Archived