Brewer Fanatic

2020-07-26: Brewers (Peralta) at Cubs (Chatwood) [Brewers lose, 9-1 -- Eric Lauer makes strong Brewers debut]

Eye Black

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Braun hurt already? Or are we giving him days off already? Maybe he’s locked in a closet somewhere with Brock holt. Oh well, it’s fun complaining about baseball again.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Community Moderator
Is Braun hurt already? Or are we giving him days off already? Maybe he’s locked in a closet somewhere with Brock holt. Oh well, it’s fun complaining about baseball again.

Tyler Chatwood is much better against RHB than he is LHB, and the next two days the Brewers will face LHP starters (Steven Brault and Derek Holland) that Braun should be in the lineup against. I am more surprised they didn’t give Holt a start today.

Edit: Last year Chatwood allowed a .580 OPS to RHH and a .823 OPS to LHH. For his career LHH have a .817 OPS against him (and that’s a sample of 1,874 PAs).

Makes sense that they loaded up on LH bats today. I would have preferred Holt starting with Sogard possibly being used as a late inning left handed bat.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

CC is going to continue using the Nerd leading off no matter what. Yes, he had a clutch "single" yesterday, but c'mon... I'd much rather see Cain in that spot.

CC just has to play Sogard as much as humanly possible, it just can't be changed.

I just don't see Braun being any kind of a factor this year. If he can't stay healthy as a semi full time DH, then why bother?

I agree, nice to be able to complain about Brewers baseball again.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Counsell said Braun is available today.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

Not a popular opinion but I’m fine with Sogard leading off. He was on 3 times yesterday. It’s been a long time since he had that big slump with the Brewers.

Holt apparently stepped on a baseball...

Over the last three seasons, Sogard has an OBP+ of 108, a BB%+ of 127 & a K%+ of 65, all of which indicate he is a perfectly cromulent lead off option.

So he is a better option than Cain?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Over the last three seasons, Sogard has an OBP+ of 108, a BB%+ of 127 & a K%+ of 65, all of which indicate he is a perfectly cromulent lead off option.

Against RHP, easily

Over the last three years versus RHP Sogard has a 355 OBP & 96 wRC+ while Cain is at a 356 OBP & 101 wRC+, it is essentially a wash.

If we look at just 2019 vs RHP it is Sogard at 356 OBP & 112 wRC+ compared to 324 OBP & 79 wRC+ for Cain.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
all of which indicate he is a perfectly cromulent lead off option.

This is my new favorite word.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It’s so weird to me that the Cubs want to force Schwarber into being an outfielder when they have a DH to use.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It’s so weird to me that the Cubs want to force Schwarber into being an outfielder when they have a DH to use.

He always looks awkward out there, and I've seen some horrendous misplays, but don't the metrics have him better than folks think?

bWAR has him as basically Yelich in terms of dWAR (both around -1 win). Defensive stats are strange...

They are trying to give him some mental confidence or something...seems dumb to me me, but whatever.

Archived