Brewer Fanatic

2020-07-25: Brewers (Burnes) at Cubs (Darvish) [Brewers win, 8-3]

Eye Black
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to have Suter back :)

Cubs fan?

Suter has been solid. Unless you were making a joke. I missed it.

I saw your post right after Schwarber’s HR.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Community Moderator
Maybe it will prove to be overblown, but I do think having all of these different styles of relievers could be an effective strategy over a short season and short series playoff format.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Cain with 3 hits.......nice

Rather see him leading off than Sogard. I just don't understand why Sogard is batting there, Cain is better in every way.

If we're essentially getting Arcia and Sogard batting one after the other let's just put them 8th and 9th rather than 9th and 1st.

Sogard outhit Cain last season, right? It's not a slam dunk decision. Sogard is a lefty too.

The key to getting wins against the Cubs is getting to the pen. That pen is a dumpster fire.

Plus a rookie manager. I like the odds of more blow ups and misuse.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Rather see him leading off than Sogard. I just don't understand why Sogard is batting there, Cain is better in every way.

If we're essentially getting Arcia and Sogard batting one after the other let's just put them 8th and 9th rather than 9th and 1st.

Sogard outhit Cain last season, right? It's not a slam dunk decision. Sogard is a lefty too.

Cain was dealing with injuries. His 2nd half showed a rebound to his usual numbers. This isn't Sogard hate, I'm willing to see if he can be productive coming off a decent season last year, I just don't think lead off is his ideal spot in the order as his career OBP doesn't suggest he's the greatest option there.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Sogard put together some very good ABs today. The whole lineup did, really, and getting to Darvish helps. Hope they can hang another big one on Chatwood tomorrow and Good Freddy shows up.

I sort of thought this series would be a sweep, so having a chance to win it is a good start.

I’d rather just start with Yelich and put Sogard/Cain at 9. They become “lead off” hitters second time around rather than getting the most opportunities for at bats every single game. It’s much like the Cubs do with Bryant and Happ.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nice overreaction on my part.

You only got 60 games, you gotta get em in.

Nice win and great to have a short start and a well rested bullpen. That’s a oddity that the expanded rosters provide. Without the extra arms, key guys in the pen have to eat innings in a 5 run game.

Yelich will be fine, but he's been looking rough all throughout "extended spring."

Presumably he will be fine eventually. But in a short season they can’t afford a month long slump from him because there isn’t anyone like Moustakas or Grandal to carry the team for a week or two.

Well, Narvaez is about a wash with Grandal offensively. Keston should be one of those guys, too. A .938 OPS in 348 plate appearances last year is enough to sell me.

It's true that they don't have a lot of offensive studs besides those guys, but they do have numerous guys who should project in the average to somewhat above average territory offensively. The nice thing they have this year as opposed to previous years is a ton of IF depth to where they can mix and match a lot and avoid having to ride cold bats.

Also keep in mind 30-30 is probably good enough for the playoffs this year and aside from the Dodgers who are usually head and shoulders better on paper than everyone else, 2-8 in the NL is pretty much a crapshoot.

I don't understand why Sogard is starting either. Frankly, I don't know why he is on this roster...

I don't understand why Sogard is starting either. Frankly, I don't know why he is on this roster...

The options are (2019 stats) | [2017-19 stats]...

Eric (116 OPS+, 2.6 WAR) | [98 OPS+, 3.4 WAR]

Brock (101 OPS+, 1.4 WAR) | [94 OPS+, 2.5 WAR]

Jedd (33 OPS+, -0.4 WAR) | [102 OPS+, 3.7 WAR]

I would guess Sogard is starting because he had the best 2019 out of the available options & because batting lefty gives him the platoon advantage versus the right handed pitchers the Cubs have started thus far.

Archived