Brewer Fanatic

Will teams actually trade guys this summer?

With the news about the expanded playoffs, that ultimately means that there should be less teams in sell-mode this year - especially since there shouldn't be many teams at all that will be buried in the playoff standings. Then, when you factor in COVID and the impact that it is having financially on all of these teams - will we see any trades at the 8/31 deadline this year? That's hardly enough time to even gauge what your teams needs might be anyway.

There are probably going to be no more than 6 teams that will suck so bad to be truly out of it at that point. You can only trade off your 60 man roster which makes trade targets for the acquiring team incredibly limited...and not all that attractive. Guys controllable past 2020 are probably very unlikely to be traded.

If players get traded it will likely be minor BP arms, bench players, and other not all that attractive players. Part of this year that will be interesting is reinforcements and outside help mid season isn’t happening.

I think some moves happen...but it will be pretty quiet unless a horrible team has a soon to be free agent at the end of the year. It that happens the bidding war for that player would be real interesting.

Maybe I’m in the Minority but I think the trade market will be very active,now I don’t believe it will mean A lot of big name players will be moved But I do see a lot of movement from each other’s 60 man roster as the season moves on injuries ,Covid ,and expanded playoffs all point to more movement ,it may not be big earth moving trades but I think end of the roster or 60 man moves may be very active.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think there will be trades of convenience swapping AAAA players to patch holes in the rosters with 1 for 1 player swaps. I doubt there will be the multiple prospects for one type trades given the 60 man restrictions.

The more I think of the 60 man roster, the less I understand why it was necessary? The 40-man roster dictates who can play MLB ball, why not leave it at that and the rest of the MiLB squad in development (per the club's discretion). Then trades could be done as normal.

Tinfoil hat time - the Marlins' ownership planted COVID inside their clubhouse at the start of the season so guys they plan to trade in a few weeks have already dealt with the virus and have antibodies in their system, theoretically increasing their value.

I wouldn't even kid about this if it was any team but the Marlins dealing with a teamwide set of COVID cases right now...

In all seriousness, now seems as good a time as any for teams looking to unload bad contracts and not have any concern about receiving equal value in return from a prospect standpoint, simply to reduce financial obligations headed into very uncertain waters with how MLB's business model will be structured a couple seasons from now. There will be some teams that view their window to try and compete for a title is now or never, that will probably be ok with taking on veteran salary if it fills an immediate roster hole. IMO it's unlikely Opening Day 2021 looks any different to MLB than right now from a COVID standpoint (which is incredibly depressing) - couple that with their current CBA expiring after next season and obvious friction between the players and owners that could result in extended labor problems, and it's not that difficult to predict that regular season games with fans in the stands might not be happening for a few years.

I really don't see trades involving prospects of any significance or bonus pool money happening - too much uncertainty.

• 3 weeks later...

Some insight from Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto (the below text is from Jon Morosi)...

Very interesting point today from Jerry Dipoto in his conversation with Jim Bowden and Jim Duquette on MLB Network Radio:

Dipoto said he expects we'll hear "rumblings" of young player-for-young player trades across industry leading up to Trade Deadline.

I understand the logic: Teams are generally more averse to adding payroll when compared to prior deadlines, and there's uncertainty regarding the upcoming free agent market. So, make some 2021 moves now (and re-balance your depth chart) at low financial cost.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived