Brewer Fanatic

taxi squad for road trips what you want five now twelve

djoctagone

mark mathias was part of the taxi squad in st. louis, and possibly in cincinnati as well.

seeing as ryon healy, eric lauer and j.p. feyereisen were all activated on this road trip, it's probably safe to assume that they were also part of the taxi squad.

if anyone can identify any other players in this photo, then we likely have our final taxi squad of the 60-game season revealed. david freitas perhaps, because of the requirement to carry a catcher?

the playoff pool of 12 reserve players will not be made public, for reasons outlined here.

this also gives insight as to why the brewers were so secretive all season about who was on the taxi squad of each road trip.

I guess I just don't see the value in keeping this secret, unless it is to protect any 40-man players left off the list from criticism. In all likelihood, it is made up of the remaining guys on the 40-man (minus a couple of injuries), Brown and Broxton. I guess maybe you would want to hide if Brown was your next starter up, but if that was the case they evidently didn't tell him that. Maybe someone like File has passed Brown and Lauer and is also on there, but if not, it just seems like secrecy for secrecy's sake, which is frustrating.

take a look at the brewers.com transactions page.

on 28 september, a bunch of players were recalled or activated from the injured list.

on 30 september, a bunch of them were reassigned to the minor leagues--including a player out of options (manny pina). the ones recalled or activated on 28 september that are on the postseason roster are david freitas and mat gamel.

thus, it's safe to assume that the other players reassigned to the minor leagues make up the 12-man taxi squad for the postseason roster:

1. brett anderson

2. phil bickford

3. j.p. feyereisen

4. mark mathias

5. billy mckinley

6. angel perdomo

7. manny pina

8. corey ray

9. bobby wahl

10. devin williams

there is not a recall transaction and a subsequent minor league reassignment transaction listed for eric lauer.

we know that non-roster zack brown is in los angeles, so that makes 11.

i am assuming that eric lauer isn't even in los angeles, and there's been speculation that non-roster keon broxton is the 12th guy.

Archived