Brewer Fanatic

Summer Camp (aka Spring Training 2.0)

Players agreed to Report by July 1st with season starting July 23rd.

I have many seemingly unanswered questions about this.

First and foremost, WHERE is this even happening ?

in most cases, it is happening at clubs' home stadiums and at facilities nearby if additional fields are needed. the blue jays need clearance from the canadian government to practice there (in the interim, they might conduct 2.0 in buffalo, home of their triple-a affiliate).

for the brewers, the majority of the players will be at miller park.

So for Spring Training 2.0, teams are not playing actual exhibition games vs other clubs but instead just physically getting back up to speed?

Looks like I finally located an online article that explains that it will be handled in 3 phases, with exhibition game vs other clubs only happening in the third and final phase.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/06/mlbs-spring-training-20-will-be-three-phased-plan-that-ends-with-exhibition-games-up-to-60-players-can-be-invited-to-camp.html

The article still explains very few details about exhibition games in phase 3. Looks like MLB is pretty much "winging it" at this point.

I would guess that each member of a teams starting rotation may only get to start one (or two) actual Spring Training exhibition games vs other clubs live batters to build up their pitch counts.

Oh boy.

So for Spring Training 2.0, teams are not playing actual exhibition games vs other clubs but instead just physically getting back up to speed?

Looks like I finally located an online article that explains that it will be handled in 3 phases, with exhibition game vs other clubs only happening in the third and final phase.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/06/mlbs-spring-training-20-will-be-three-phased-plan-that-ends-with-exhibition-games-up-to-60-players-can-be-invited-to-camp.html

The article still explains very few details about exhibition games in phase 3. Looks like MLB is pretty much "winging it" at this point.

I would guess that each member of a teams starting rotation may only get to start one (or two) actual Spring Training exhibition games vs other clubs live batters to build up their pitch counts.

Oh boy.

I would be shocked if they were “winging it” after all of the time that the league has had to prepare and all of the safety measures that are seemingly in place

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Oh boy.

I would be shocked if they were “winging it” after all of the time that the league has had to prepare and all of the safety measures that are seemingly in place

Right. Just because there hasn't been a ton of information released regarding the plan doesn't mean there isn't a detailed plan.

With 60 guys in camp I can’t see why each team couldn’t just play intersquad games every day if they wanted to. It’s about arm strength, timing, etc it shouldn’t matter who is out there.

That's my thought as well. They'll be able to play a 30-on-30 game every day. Might not add anything for the fans, but it keeps the players isolated.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How exactly will it work for the Blue Jays since Canada is off limits to Americans...

as mentioned above, the blue jays are considering buffalo, home of their class aaa affiliate. as for when the season starts in late july? mlb is hoping that the canadian government will have policies in place that allow for travel to and play in canada.

How exactly will it work for the Blue Jays since Canada is off limits to Americans...

as mentioned above, the blue jays are considering buffalo, home of their class aaa affiliate. as for when the season starts in late july? mlb is hoping that the canadian government will have policies in place that allow for travel to and play in canada.

Toronto should just play all their games in the US. Even if the Canadian government allows it now there's no guarantee it will be allowed the whole duration of the season. Avoid that potential mess and just play in the States.

Is anyone in the best shape of their life yet?

Braun. Always.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived