Brewer Fanatic

60 man Roster

MVP2110
a reminder that clubs are limited to trading players only in their 60-man player pools, and all acquisitions must be added to the player pool.

That is a really interesting note to keep in mind as it means teams kind of need to add "expendable" players to the player pool that they don't mind getting rid of in trades. It makes you wonder how many players (and who) are being added just as potential trade bait options.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Takeaways:

1. Unless the back injury is still an issue, Miguel Sanchez is the biggest surprise omission for me.

2. While I didn’t see Kelly coming, I should have as he is the definition of a guy who could benefit from more work but unless the Dillard as catcher experiment is restarting, they must be much higher on him than I thought.

3. Pencil Bickford in for a 40-man spot next season

4. The Brewers obviously either view File as the best prospect, most big league ready or both of last year’s AA starting trio (Francis and Bettinger)

5. Heavy prospect focus with the last wave meant minor league vets like Gosewisch and Wilkerson left off

a reminder that clubs are limited to trading players only in their 60-man player pools, and all acquisitions must be added to the player pool.

That is a really interesting note to keep in mind as it means teams kind of need to add "expendable" players to the player pool that they don't mind getting rid of in trades. It makes you wonder how many players (and who) are being added just as potential trade bait options.

Very little I’m guessing. There are only 60 games which will keep almost any team in it past the trade deadline (which is the end of August I think...?). It takes one little outbreak in your camp to suddenly need reinforcements fast so they probably care more about putting helpful talent on the roster versus thinking about trades. I’m guessing any player that has control beyond 2020 has almost zero chance of getting traded because their value will be utter trash considering a team can only trade off their 60 man roster.

I’m guessing the trade deadline will kind of suck this year. Not sure how many potential bad teams have decent players that are set to be free agents. Most of those guys were traded in the offseason. Some minor trades will surely happen, but I think you have trade chips by default constructing a 60 man roster you don’t have to go out of your way to add guys for the potential purpose of trading them. That is already 39 guys past the regular MLB active roster and 20 past the 40 man roster. Looking at the Brewers roster it looks exactly how you would expect it to.

Community Moderator
I’m guessing the trade deadline will kind of suck this year. Not sure how many potential bad teams have decent players that are set to be free agents.

I agree that I don’t expect many true rental players to get traded at this year’s deadline. I do think teams may be willing to make deals for players under control through next season or beyond. For instance, the three team trade involving the Reds acquiring Trevor Bauer last year is something I think we could see if some typical non-contending teams look to take a shot in this shortened season while also getting a head start on building their team for next year. Overall though, I also don’t have high hopes for an exciting trade deadline.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I haven't looked over every team's 60 man roster but if they don't have their top prospects on it, then they can't be traded, and teams aren't likely to trade impact MLB'ers if there's nothing prospect wise to get in return.

Couldn't they just make a trade for "a player to be named later"?

I haven't looked over every team's 60 man roster but if they don't have their top prospects on it, then they can't be traded, and teams aren't likely to trade impact MLB'ers if there's nothing prospect wise to get in return.

Couldn't they just make a trade for "a player to be named later"?

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm guessing that is something we will see a lot of this year, as long as MLB allows it, which I'd imagine they would pretty much have to.

(the announcement of the miller park summer camp roster) leaves the brewers with two non-roster invitees who were still in major league camp when spring training was suspended who will not working out at miller park:

tuffy gosewisch

aaron wilkerson

both remain candidates to be included in the club's 60-man player pool, like any player in the organization, to work out in grand chute. both have major league experience.

we know now that both have been excluded from the 60-man player pool. as long as they remain in the organization, they can still be added. presumably, both players have been following instructions from the club on how to stay fit and game-ready if need be.

the player pool stands at 58 players. if spots are needed beyond 60, technically, the club could remove angel perdomo and/or luis urias from the 60-man player pool by formally placing either on the special covid-19 injured list if they each are unable to produce two negative tests in their recovery from positive tests at intake. the brewers may have already exercised this formality.

I believe current rules dictate a player must be eligible for trade the day it is agreed upon to be a PTBNL. You can’t bend the rules to simply wait until a player is eligible to make it official. I think the origination of that rule was because team(s) we’re making newly drafted guys PTBNL and finalizing it after the season when it was allowable to trade them. So unless they specifically change the rules for the year technically only guys on that 60 man roster could be traded and/or be a PTBNL.

Of course that’s how I recall the rules last I checked. They could change those rules, but I don’t know why they would. Clearly they have their reasons for not wanting those players not on the 60 man roster traded. I would expect a team is stuck trading off that 60 man roster if they want to make something happen.

I'm kind of surprised Payton Henry isn't on the list.

we've also talked about the omission of tuffy gosewisch, a catcher with over two years of major league service, who was still in major league camp when the cactus league was suspended.

the brewers have five catchers in their 60-man player pool--four of whom have been working out at miller park to support intrasquad scrimmages and workouts for 41 other players. those four have 40-man roster status. two of them were already optioned in march, so unless the brewers want to carry a third catcher during the 30-man and 28-man roster days, both david freitas and jacob nottingham appear destined to optioned to alternate summer camp in grand chute.

that would leave grand chute with three catchers to support up to 27 other players . . . but consider that clubs are permitted to bring a taxi squad of up to three players with them on roadtrips. if they take three players, one of them must be a catcher (who may serve as a bullpen catcher). thus, grand chute could be down to two catchers during brewers roadtrips--which means no backup catchers available in intrasquad games.

the brewers probably don't have to worry about a 40-man roster spot if their taxi squad catcher is activated to replace a catcher placed on the special covid-19 injured list, but may have to expose that catcher to outright waivers if optional assignment is not desired by the club. (remember, a player is removed from the 40-man roster when placed on the special covid-19 injured list, but has to be added back if activated by the club. thus, in the interest of preserving depth, the taxi squad catcher will likely be a player with 40-man status.)

this will become more interesting if either freitas or nottingham are placed on outright waivers in order to open up a spot for a non-roster invitee (such as logan morrison). if players are able to burn minor league options in 2020 as they normally do with a stay of more than 20 days on optional assignment, both freitas or nottingham could be out of options in 2021, so either could be a candidate to be outrighted. if that player is claimed, the brewers could be down to four catchers in the 60-man pool, and potentially just one at grand chute while the brewers are on the road.

thus, gosewisch or henry could still have a shot at being added to the 60-man player pool at some point.

5 1/2 catchers. Based on an article in a different thread, the Dillard as catcher experiment continues after all. If one of the catchers gets lost to waivers, I really expect Gosewisch to be added. That is one position where having a more experienced guy in that camp could have some benefits.

Community Moderator

Adam McCalvy’s predictions for the Opening Day 30-man roster (Article Link):

Catcher

Omar Narváez, Manny Piña

First base/designated hitter

Justin Smoak, Ryan Braun, Logan Morrison

Second base

Keston Hiura, Brock Holt

Shortstop

Orlando Arcia

Third base

Eric Sogard, Jedd Gyorko

Outfield

Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, Avisaíl García, Ben Gamel

Starting pitchers

Brandon Woodruff, Brett Anderson, Adrian Houser, Josh Lindblom, Corbin Burnes

Relievers

Josh Hader, Corey Knebel, David Phelps, Brent Suter, Freddy Peralta, Alex Claudio, Ray Black, Bobby Wahl, Devin Williams, Eric Yardley, Justin Grimm

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Seems a little pitcher heavy, but I guess they will probably add Urias pretty early and I don't think they will drop a position player to do it.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

this article addresses quite a bit regarding the club player pool (cpp)--which is the official name of the 60-man roster we've been referring to.

it does clarify a misconception that i've stated in the roster construction rules thread regarding the "outbreak clause", but it also reveals how a player sidelined by a non-covid injury (and not on the 45-day injured list) still counts against the 60 player limit in the cpp. bottom line, if a player lacking 40-man roster status suffers a lasting injury, don't be surprised if the team releases that player entirely from the organization.

the club player pool is at 55 players.

mike morin is in limbo as he's been designated for assignment. angel perdomo and luis urias are still on the covid-19 injured list and do not count against the 60-man limit for the cpp.

it'd be interesting to hear david stearns' rationale for wanting to start the season with a less-than-capacity club player pool.

mike morin is in limbo as he's been designated for assignment. angel perdomo and luis urias are still on the covid-19 injured list and do not count against the 60-man limit for the cpp.

it'd be interesting to hear david stearns' rationale for wanting to start the season with a less-than-capacity club player pool.

I may be wrong, but isn't there some rule that if you're DFA'd as a result of someone (in this case, Eric Lauer) coming off the COVID IL, you don't pass through waivers?

So I think Morin will have to go to Appleton as long as he doesn't have the right to elect free agency (don't know much about Morin's history or if he's been DFA'd before).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What is the rationale for wanting your 60-man roster full? Seems like all the negative impacts come from removing a player from the 60 man roster and make it easy to add people to the 60 man roster. If he wanted to, he could fill the last 5 spots in a snap by calling players up from Appleton.

The 40-man roster is still the critical one since you can't play at the MLB level without being on it. That extra 20 people are really only around to practice and be ready to play. That can be done at Milwaukee or Appleton.

Roster flexibility, seems straight forward. We don’t need anywhere near 60 players barring a major outbreak...and honestly if we need players that far down the list our season is pretty much toast.

I think a lot of is for trade implications. There is nothing stopping teams from adding a players to the 60 man roster and trading them 5 minutes later. If you fill it the other team can only pick from those players...or you have to dump players just to get the ones they want on your 60 man roster. With open spots it would be easy to just add who a team might want.

What we might not see as much of is lopsided trades that are say 4-1 deals. The acquiring team would only shed one roster spot, but would need 4 spots open. Could still happen, just wouldn’t be as easy to swing.

I may be wrong, but isn't there some rule that if you're DFA'd as a result of someone (in this case, Eric Lauer) coming off the COVID IL, you don't pass through waivers?

So I think Morin will have to go to Appleton as long as he doesn't have the right to elect free agency (don't know much about Morin's history or if he's been DFA'd before).

no. morin must clear outright or release waivers if he is placed on either. the rule you're referring to only affects replacements at the alternate training site.

morin has been outrighted before, which is different than having been designated for assignment before. the former allows a player to refuse any future outright assignment, the latter does not. designating a player for assignment is merely a step to immediately remove a player from the 40-man roster, and then as permitted, be traded, or placed on outright or release waivers.

with the marlins claiming mike morin, the cpp remains at 55 players, with the same two aforementioned players on the covid-19 il.

Archived