Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers Optimism Thread

torts

This quote gave me some optimism that this upcoming offseason will be better than the last.

David Stearns: "A lot of the moves I made last offseason didn't pan out the way I thought they were going to. But our team really hung together, overcame that, and now we get to play in our third postseason in a row on a national stage. That's something to be really proud of."

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Stearns: "A lot of the moves I made last offseason didn't pan out the way I thought they were going to. "

Would this comment be taken as throwing some of the current players under the bus?

I read it more as he was acknowledging the disappointment and taking the blame, but I can certainly see how it could be construed that way. Normally when he talks about acquisitions or roster moves he uses “we”, but in this case he used “I”. Either way, it gives me some hope that we will see a bit of a shakeup this offseason on the offensive side.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

David Stearns: "A lot of the moves I made last offseason didn't pan out the way I thought they were going to. "

Would this comment be taken as throwing some of the current players under the bus?

I would say a lot of those players that did not work out are no longer with the team like Holt, Morrison, Smoak. However, guys like Garcia, Sogard and Narvaez certainly fit as well.

I would say a lot of those players that did not work out are no longer with the team like Holt, Morrison, Smoak. However, guys like Garcia, Sogard and Narvaez certainly fit as well.

The reason I brought it up is story behind Bill Cofield when he started coaching Wisconsin basketball, he stated (previous coach) John Powell's recruits couldn't play for College of Racine (previous job). Some of Powless's recruits were still on the team. Oops.

The Brewers are still in the playoffs. Much stranger things have happened in baseball than the Dodgers dropping 2/3 to a mediocre team. We shouldn't be going into Game 1 feeling anything other than excitement. We would have killed for an 81-81 wild card team just a few years ago.

Thank you.

And as I said in the 2020 playoff rules thread, let's just throw away the notion that a team has to have "x" number of wins to qualify for a spot.

We can be glad we somehow got into the playoffs. Now let the chips fall where they may and let's enjoy every minute of it. Good, bad, or indifferent it's playoff baseball for the third straight year and I couldn't be more excited.

Exactly right. In baseball anything happens in a 3 game series. Garbage teams often beat the best teams in the regular season.

Just think if Burnes didn't get hurt though and two of their three starts were covered by really good starters. Steeper hill to climb now but it's certainly possible.

Exactly right. In baseball anything happens in a 3 game series. Garbage teams often beat the best teams in the regular season.

Just think if Burnes didn't get hurt though and two of their three starts were covered by really good starters. Steeper hill to climb now but it's certainly possible.

Optimism thread. Why would the Brewers need a third starter against the Dodgers? They only need two wins.

Optimism thread. Why would the Brewers need a third starter against the Dodgers? They only need two wins.

thank you! we got this in 2 BABY! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Even really terrible teams have a stretch of 10-15 games a year where they look really good. Brewer's 15 game stretch of awesomeness could be right around the corner.

At first I thought it was being reported that he was done for the season, but now I'm seeing some reports that he could be back if we were to advance a couple of rounds into the playoffs? But, let's be honest - no way this team is advancing a couple of rounds, so probably safe to say his season is over.

Even really terrible teams have a stretch of 10-15 games a year where they look really good. Brewer's 15 game stretch of awesomeness could be right around the corner.

At first I thought it was being reported that he was done for the season, but now I'm seeing some reports that he could be back if we were to advance a couple of rounds into the playoffs? But, let's be honest - no way this team is advancing a couple of rounds, so probably safe to say his season is over.

Please refrain from honesty in this thread, unless you are honestly optimistic.

Is Burnes out for the season, or could he be available for the NLCS or WS?

Maybe the World Series if you are a wishful thinker. The way they described it wasn't promising. Those strains can easily knock someone out well over a month if bad enough. Woodruff missed 6 weeks last year I believe. I would guess he wouldn't be available for at least 4 weeks post injury and at that point he would need to regain pitching strength.

Is Burnes out for the season, or could he be available for the NLCS or WS?

Maybe the World Series if you are a wishful thinker. The way they described it wasn't promising. Those strains can easily knock someone out well over a month if bad enough. Woodruff missed 6 weeks last year I believe. I would guess he wouldn't be available for at least 4 weeks post injury and at that point he would need to regain pitching strength.

Thanks! I am a wishful thinker, at least when I'm in the optimism thread. I know obliques can be tough, but you're saying there's a chance.

Please refrain from honesty in this thread, unless you are honestly optimistic.

Ha ha! My bad! I forgot that I was posting in the "optimism" thread.

I mean I would trade having beat the Dodgers in the playoffs before, but can you imagine how salty the fans will be after dominating the season and then lose to us in a 3 game series...

They would be livid! :laughing

On the other hand, this is no regular 3 game series and the perception shouldn't be that it is. All of these wild card series will be hard fought. Strategically, all conventional bets are off. Whoever comes out on top in the first round shouldn't be delegitimized, although admittedly, the better team won't win 100% of the time. That's sports.

I almost forgot...this is the optimism thread. So Brewers sweep. ;)

The Brewers are still in the playoffs. Much stranger things have happened in baseball than the Dodgers dropping 2/3 to a mediocre team. We shouldn't be going into Game 1 feeling anything other than excitement. We would have killed for an 81-81 wild card team just a few years ago.

Absolutely! IMO all of the pressure will be on LA. They are expected to win it all and we can go in with nothing to lose. After this crazy year and all of our troubles getting into this dance this is all gravy. Go Crew!! :) :)

Absolutely! IMO all of the pressure will be on LA. They are expected to win it all and we can go in with nothing to lose. After this crazy year and all of our troubles getting into this dance this is all gravy. Go Crew!! :) :)

I really hope that’s the mood among the team going into the Dodgers series. I don’t know if it’s just me but the Brewers seemed stiff and uptight most of the season compared to the last couple years.

Hopefully the Brewers play loose and with a chip on their shoulders from 2018.

Brewers infielder Jedd Gyorko: "We really have nothing to lose, and I think that makes us pretty dangerous."

You’re damn right it does!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived