Brewer Fanatic

2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As long as the injury isn't something that's likely to recur, picking those guys is a great strategy, IMO. Those guys get dropped way too far on draft boards. This isn't the NFL or NBA where a guy needs to produce right away. It's ok for them to miss a half a season or DH for awhile or only throw bullpen sessions. Brewers have made a killing with those type of picks recently.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

I missed this one earlier from Prospects Live. Reminder that this player scouting information can also be found on each Brewers selection in our MLB Draft Selection/Signing Thread.

53. Freddy Zamora – SS

Hits/Throws: R/R

School: Miami

Zamora was slowed by a knee injury in 2020, which only added to his stock dropping after a suspension for violating a team rule. Overall, though, he is a solid selection. He gets praised for his defensive ability more than anything, and he’s got above average speed to boot. At times his bat has shown through as well.

Outside of the injury, the biggest knock to Zamora is consistency. He’s flashed the ability to have every tool in the shed, which is why he’s still in conversations as high as he is. If he can come back from injury and show that his talents are real then someone will be getting a very nice discount on a shortstop.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Great little video on Zamora. I really like the pick and moxie he has. Tools are are exciting defensively and the bat seems solid!

Also I don’t think it sends any type of message to Turang. One, he is a full year younger than Zamora. He was 19 in Carolina which is notoriously unfriendly to hitters. League average slash was .243/.322/.682 and Mudcat’s were .221/.312/.660. In his brief sample he slashed .200/.338/.620 in 207 PAs. Not sure how many 19 year olds walk into that league & really hit well. Lastly. The draft sends no messages to anyone. It’s not NFL or NBA. Impact takes 3-6 years and you know every year your team is going to bring more talent in at your position. Draft, International Signings, Free Agents, Trades. Minors are all about depth. If you are a minor league player who doesn’t think their team is going to continue to bring in high quality competition for you or take it personally that they would do that with you there..... you are simply not a kid who will make it to the bigs.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He can play catcher!

Edit MLB.com had him as a SS but switched it

I like this pick. Swiss army potential.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Taylor Blake Ward

@TaylorBlakeWard

37s

#Brewers get rare catcher/shortstop versatility in Zavier Warren

Will Sammon

@WillSammon

15s

With the 92rd overall pick, #Brewers take C/SS Zavier Warren out of Central Michigan.

Was No. 86 on @keithlaw's board of top 100

Christopher Crawford

@Crawford_MILB

m

Zavier Warren drafted as a catcher by the Brewers is interesting. Played shortstop for Central Michigan. Switch-hitter with a chance to hit for average. Intriguing.

Aaron Fitt

@aaronfitt

44s

Zavier Warren is another guy that

@DSeifertD1PBR

and I really liked in the Cape last year. Strong, compact athlete, switch-hitter, think he could play all over the infield or stick him behind the plate. Aggressive baserunner, plays hard, really fun player to watch.

Brian Sakowski

@B_Sakowski_PG

1m

#MACtion off the board again here, Warren has real hit tool projection from both sides, good pop there, announced as a catcher, has played there and does project well, could be 3B/2b if not. Also: #FireUpChips #MLBDraft

Nick J. Faleris

@NickJFaleris

2m

Warren has the hands/arm/footwork to make sense at catcher. If the Brewers pull it off that feels like it could be a steal. Even if he shifts to third base I like the bat enough for him to be great value here. Nice pick, #Brewers. #MLBDraft

Joe Healy

@JoeHealyBA

19s

Really love the game of @CMUBaseball's Zavier Warren, the latest @Brewers pick. Very versatile defender, solid all-around hitter who I could see developing some more traditional power.

Rhys White

@RhysBWhite

1m

If Warren can even be an average defensive catcher without losing anything in the bat the Brewers could have gotten a good one. Plus Warren can play a few other positions

Tom Mussa

@tom_mussa

1m

I love Zavier Warren, kid has an incredible bat. 1.000 OPS last year and was off to a very hot start this spring before cancellation. I think he actually does have a ch ace to stick at Catcher as well. Very strong arm that has called his own game in past. #Brewers

Community Moderator

From Perfect Game:

150. Zavier Warren, if/c, Central Michigan (JR)

S-R, 6-0/190, Southfield, Mich.

Previously Drafted: Never Drafted

Perhaps this draft’s most intriguing versatility piece, Central Michigan’s Zavier Warren doesn’t really have a defined position moving forward, but rather than be a detractor from the profile, it’s actually in his benefit. Warren OPS’d 1.080 for CMU’s ’19 regional club and then continued his hot hitting through the Cape Cod League season, earning him high marks from scouts for his hit tool from both sides of the plate as well as his defensive versatility. He’s played mostly the left side of the infield and caught some, and some scouts think he might be best served to convert full time behind the plate, while others see him as a potential 3B/2B/OF type of chess piece. The hit tool projects above average and he’s got some punch in his bat, though most scouts seem to believe the in-game power projection to be average at best. Regardless, Warren’s bat and versatility give him major league upside.

Community Moderator

From The Athletic (Keith Law):

86. Zavier Warren, SS/C, Central Michigan, Age: 21

Yes, Warren played shortstop this spring for CMU and also caught four games, while he played third base for Bourne on the Cape last summer, so you might say he’s versatile. He’s probably a utility guy rather than a regular given his below-average power — he doesn’t lack strength but his swing is so short that he doesn’t get to drive the ball — but his ability to play so many positions, and to produce some on-base value as a switch-hitter, should make him a third- or fourth-round pick.

Community Moderator

From Baseball America:

122. Zavier Warren

Central Michigan C/SS

Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 190 | B-T: B-R

Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted

Age At Draft: 21.4

Warren is an instinctual player who brings a lot of defensive versatility and reliability to the table. He entered Central Michigan as a catcher, but logged time behind the dish, at third base and first base as a freshman. In 2019 a need opened at shortstop, and he’s been a reliable defender at the position, though he isn’t a true pro shortstop prospect. Warren played third base in the Cape Cod League over the summer, where he hit .315/.396/.443 with three home runs and eight doubles. Warren doesn’t have a real standout tool but is solid across the board and has a pretty and consistent swing from both sides of the plate. He has solid power, but it plays more in the gaps for doubles (he set the single-season Central Michigan record with 22 doubles in 2019) than true over-the-fence power. That could create problems with how he profiles at the hot corner, though scouts have said he’s athletic enough to return to catching at the next level, and if he can handle the defensive grind there, his bat all of a sudden looks extremely impressive. Warren has just average speed, but he’s an instinctual baserunner who is 17-for-18 in stolen base attempts over his collegiate career.

MLB Pipeline

Zavier

Warren

SS, Central Michigan

Bio

Stats

News

Video

BATS

S

DOB

01/08/1999

THROWS

R

HT

6' 0"

DRAFTED

Never

WT

Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)

HIT

POWER

RUN

ARM

FIELD

OVERALL

Video »

Central Michigan hasn't had a position player taken in the first five rounds since 1980, but that drought will end this year. Warren impressed with his hitting and on-base ability in the Mid-American Conference last season, then established himself as a quality prospect by doing the same in the Cape Cod League. He spent some time behind the plate for the Chippewas this spring, adding to his intrigue.

A switch-hitter with a quick, sound swing from both sides, Warren makes line-drive contact with ease. He's more of a gap-to-gap hitter than a home run threat, though he did set a school record with 22 doubles last year. He's not afraid to work deep counts in the pursuit of walks, and plays quicker than his fringy-to-average speed thanks to aggressiveness on the bases.

Warren's future defensive home is in question because his so-so range and funky arm action aren't suited for shortstop. His solid arm could help make him an asset at third base (where he played on the Cape) if he shows enough power to profile there, or he could wind up as an offensive second baseman. There are mixed reviews on him as a catcher, his high school position, though he has the hands, arm and athleticism to possibly make it work with more experience.

Catching has been an area of concentration since Stearns came on board. Given the obvious quality we have in the minors presently this seems like a real trust pick. Really like this pick quite a bit. We’re gonna hit big on one of these guys and the payoff on the major league level will be significant. What do these guys have in common so far? OBP with a solid hit tool and unrealized power. Intriguing.

Ben Badler

@BenBadler

·

42s

Two picks I like here in the third round with the Brewers getting Zavier Warren and the Indians drafting Petey Halpin. Good OBP potential with Warren, Halpin a well-rounded player with good bat-to-ball skills from the left side.

I’m still a little baffled. In a draft deep with college pitchers, we opted to pass on them for the majority of the draft so far.

I'm also anxious for some pitching, but doesnt it seem like Stearns and company draft a lot of hitters? Perhaps the idea is to develop hitting and trade/sign pitching?

I’m still a little baffled. In a draft deep with college pitchers, we opted to pass on them for the majority of the draft so far.

I'm also anxious for some pitching, but doesnt it seem like Stearns and company draft a lot of hitters? Perhaps the idea is to develop hitting and trade/sign pitching?

I don’t think we’re gonna be outbidding the big markets for great pitchers in free agency, so it boils down to draft and develop or trade. Though I am curious as to whether any of the guys we’ve drafted/are drafting will net us good pitching somewhere down the line.

Community Moderator

From FanGraphs:

114. Zavier Warren, 3B, Central Michigan

Plus arm, can play any IF spot, average speed, switch hitter, feel for the game, contact approach, some lift from the left side, where he's more natural.

Was just going to say that. Draft & develop prospects at premium position & use depth to help trade for pitching could be a possible strategy. Don’t think they are intentionally avoiding pitching though, just playing the board. I’ve liked every pick so far so hard for me to be upset with no arms yet. I don’t see all 5 rounds being bats but who knows.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I am stunned a bit that the Crew has not taken any Pitching especially the only way they can compete in pitching is by drafting them.

If they rated the players they’ve gotten so far higher than any pitchers available at that time, it certainly makes sense to me...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Very analytical draft so far...college hitter, college hitter, college hitter. Zavier is very intriguing. If they stick to the numbers, you keep going college hitters or high school pitchers in rounds four and five. Maybe they target pitching with "undrafted" players.

Infielder/catcher, I had to think of Craig Biggio right away lol. I’m not comparing the young man to a hall of famer, but you don’t see catchers who can play middle infield every day.

I like the draft so far. Athletes with the first three picks. All have a chance to get into our system’s top 25 quickly.

We are stock piling up the middle athleticism. Stearns has always been very open about doing that. Surplus can be traded or converted to a corner position where appropriate. Up the middle physical skills tend to draw a premium in terms of trade value. So, I see what they are doing.

Our drafts of recent vintage have been so much better thought out than they were from like 2006-2015 or so that it’s not even funny.

Archived