Brewer Fanatic

2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've seen a few comps, but how about a LH Mike Trout? Not to be too "over the top", but both are big CF with strong arms, easy speed, drafted late first round (not to open a wound here). Trout's power was probably more certain at draft time, but one profile I found from 2010, said it was a wide range of projection from 15-25+HR/year. Swing wise, they are probably different, but a number of good comparisons.

I've also seen a lot of boom-bust comments, but I wonder how much "bust" there really is in Mitchell's profile? Seems like he would profile (at worst) as a light hitting, plus-defense center fielder, which is a common MLB profile (i.e. Keon Broxton with better contact and lower power). So a pretty decent floor there also.

Who are the good college arms left? After the top guys, I really didn't do much reading.

Don't know anything about these guys, but there is a grouping of four college arms around the range of our 2nd pick (#53) on the composite rankings Eye Black posted a few pages back...

49 | Nick Swiney | LHP | North Carolina State

50 | Cole Henry | RHP | Louisiana State

51 | Tommy Mace | RHP | Florida

52 | Logan Allen | LHP | Florida International

Also caught a blurb on FG about Landon Knack (#113 on EB's composite rankings) out of East Tennessee State who apparently had a velocity bump this year & posted 51 Ks versus only 1 BB in 25 IP before the shutdown. Maybe a guy in play for our 3rd pick at 92?

****, I would love to take a chance on J.T. Ginn.

I know, I know... TJ this year but I give you.... Ethan Small and look at Walker Buehler.

Ginn is top 10 pitching talent.

Any hopes for the second round pick?

I'm kind of pulling for the Crew to draft one that got away: Gage Workman, switch-hitting SS/3B. Insurance for Turang not getting any power, or a good replacement for Erceg in the prospect pipeline...

THE BOARD for 2020 Draft

I reposted this in the other thread it was a link on original post by Eye Black. The rankings i see from prior page are modestly different. This link does list the heights of players. From this link a height size preference of mine and value for around Brewers pick, plus quick draft profile video. I am thinking on two HS pitchers. 45 is a 6'6" lhp Dax Fulton. Currently sits 91/92. And a CB that shows movement. 6-6 I tend worry on delivery' but the profile reads his is a 3/4 slot and well balanced. I thought the video was solid and picking up his ball seemed a little tougher vs my other target:

#72 Alejandro Rosario 6'1" RHP that at 96 throwing. I immediately see a closer out of the mound presence and hard throwing. The ranking from Eye Black earlier shows him in the 90s vs this 72.

This list really sees a good number of CF or pitchers around the Brewers next pick. I wouldnt think they would double up on CF, so a pitcher seems the better get. Also with the success of pitchers on Milw, I think a HS target(Fulton I think read was a top prep for the class prior to TJ while 17) is more fitting draft and develop.

Note the list will have a HS Cade Horton also around the Brewers pick but hes committed to Oklahoma for baseball and football.

71 is a Markevian Hence but only 5'11" and I shy away from the short stature types on draft and develop.

Who are the good college arms left? After the top guys, I really didn't do much reading.

Don't know anything about these guys, but there is a grouping of four college arms around the range of our 2nd pick (#53) on the composite rankings Eye Black posted a few pages back...

49 | Nick Swiney | LHP | North Carolina State

50 | Cole Henry | RHP | Louisiana State

51 | Tommy Mace | RHP | Florida

52 | Logan Allen | LHP | Florida International

Also caught a blurb on FG about Landon Knack (#113 on EB's composite rankings) out of East Tennessee State who apparently had a velocity bump this year & posted 51 Ks versus only 1 BB in 25 IP before the shutdown. Maybe a guy in play for our 3rd pick at 92?

I was just going to point out Swiney and Allen as the two guys I have a feeling the Brewers could be targeting. High K rates, Swiney historically had a somewhat high walk rate but in limited action this year has reduced it, Allen historically lower on the walk rate.

Also, we ran that clock all the way down before putting in the card for Mitchell, which tells me we really wanted PCA, who I would've killed for just for his generational CF defensive ability. I'll hold out a ton of hope for Mitchell due to the tools and his own defensive ability but I don't expect the power to develop at all. We haven't shown we can develop hitters in recent memory. And, no, Keston Hiura doesn't count. That kid was hitting no matter where he was drafted.

Every team ran the clock. wouldn't read into it. after each player was drafted, ESPN spent about 5 minutes talking about him and then the next pick was made or it went to commercial. this is a made for TV event.

Community Moderator
Any chance Wilcox makes it through to us?

I think it's assumed he'll be taken off the board in the first few picks tonight.

I stand corrected, we are 6 picks in and Cole Wilcox is still on the board. I wonder if he has a high bonus demand?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
In normal years saying a just drafted college pitcher could help an MLB team immediately is hyperbole, but the fact that Clayton Beeter is still available this year surprises me because it seems like he could be inserted in an MLB bullpen right now, especially with the condensed season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Gah! There goes The Dingler.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

In normal years saying a just drafted college pitcher could help an MLB team immediately is hyperbole, but the fact that Clayton Beeter is still available this year surprises me because it seems like he could be inserted in an MLB bullpen right now, especially with the condensed season.

this is who i'm hoping for.

Based on reviewing MLB.com, I am hoping for one of SPs JT Ginn or Cole Wilcox or SS Casey Martin.

If they all pan out, the speed of the offense with Mitchell in CF, Turang at SS and Martin at 3B would be insane on the IF.

there goes Ginn, we are on the clock! come on beeter!

Archived