Brewer Fanatic

2020 Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By most reports they took a lot of highly rated guys this year. I’m not sure they were expecting to save as much as they did. Certainly Mitchell wasn’t a cost saving decision.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
By most reports they took a lot of highly rated guys this year. I’m not sure they were expecting to save as much as they did. Certainly Mitchell wasn’t a cost saving decision.

The theme this year I believe was high upside college bats that should move through the system quickly. it's a philosophy that fits into the contention window built around the next 5-6 "Prime Yelich" years. With Yelich now signed long-term, they can now start kicking the can more than 2 years down the road now, but that doesn't necessarily mean focusing on a bunch of 17-18 year olds that are 6+ years out. This team's prime contention window is still pre 2026, when Yelich gets into his mid-30s.

I'd be really surprised if the Brewers hadn't spoken to most, if not all of these players (and many others) about their expectations for signing and cost of signing before they were drafted. Especially guys like Joey Wiemer that signed for so far below slot. I'd imagine a pre-draft discussion was part of why he signed for so low.

Maybe this is old scouting information but I know the scouts in the past were asked to gauge the players interest in signing. They would also have to figure in what they would sign for. This is information from back in the late 90's and early 2000's so it may not be relevant anymore.

With the recent cap on bonuses and the various rules about the top 10 picks vs later picks (in a normal draft), there were many articles about a specific player agreeing to sign for certain amounts prior to the draft. I think the very low rate of non-signed players (compared to the 80s-90s) would also attest to the fact that people have that discussion prior to the draft also.

Archived