Brewer Fanatic

Protect your 15 Brewers for the 2021 Expansion Draft

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Over at mlbtraderumors.com they're going to do a mock expansion draft next month - as if the league were expanding by two teams in the off season. They are creating a 15-player protected list for each club, and I thought it would be a fun exercise on BF.net.

We will go on the assumption that baseball will be played in 2020, and all players will gain a year of service time (both in the majors and the minor leagues).

So, look at the rules, and reply to the post with your list of 15 protected players. You are welcome to include in your additional add ons (three after each round can be additionally protected), but that's not necessary.

Rules

- All Players in an organization are eligible to be drafted, except those with no prior major league experience who have less than three years service if signed at age 19 or older or have less than four years of service if signed at age 18 or younger.

- Players with no-trade clauses or ten-and-five rights have to be put on the protected list. The only person this affects is Lorenzo Cain, who has a no-trade clause.

- Free agents don't have to be protected

Draft Process

- Every team will lose one player in the first round of the draft

- After the 1st round, a team can protect an additional three players

- After the 2nd round, a team can protect an additional three players

This means the team will lose 3 players.

Below is a list of Brewers. I've included all the people I think will be eligible. I've included all the players with club options for 2021 - Braun, Phelps, Smoak, Sogard, Gyorko, Holt, etc. I've basically went through our 40-man roster and our Top 25 list and pulled out names.

Let me know if there are any mistakes. I will correct.

PITCHERS

Clayton Andrews

Aaron Ashby

Alec Bettinger

Phil Bickford

Ray Black

Zack Brown

Corbin Burnes

Alex Claudio

J.P. Feyereisen

Dylan File

Bowden Francis

Josh Hader

Adrian Houser

Corey Knebel

Eric Lauer

Max Lazar

Caden Lemons

Josh Lindblom

Freddy Peralta

Angel Perdomo

David Phelps

Drew Rasmussen

Trey Supak

Brent Suter

Bobby Wahl

Devin Williams

Brandon Woodruff

Eric Yardley

CATCHERS

Mario Feliciano

David Freitas

Payton Henry

Omar Narváez

Jacob Nottingham

Manny Piña

INFIELDERS

Orlando Arcia

Lucas Erceg

Jedd Gyorko

Ryon Healy

Keston Hiura

Brock Holt

Mark Mathias

Ronny Rodríguez

Justin Smoak

Eric Sogard

Luis Urías

OUTFIELDERS

Ryan Braun (Braun is a 10/5 man, but he also has a mutual option for 2021 - so he does not have to be protected - as we can just let him become a free agent)

Lorenzo Cain (has no trade clause so MUST protect)

Ben Gamel

Avisaíl García

Tristen Lutz

Corey Ray

Tyrone Taylor

Christian Yelich

FREE AGENTS (no need to protect)

Brett Anderson

INELIGIBLE TO BE DRAFTED (not enough service time)

Micah Bello

Eduardo Garcia

Antoine Kelly

Luis Medina

Hedbert Perez

Carlos Rodriguez

Ethan Small

Brice Turang

Verified Member

PITCHERS

Aaron Ashby

Josh Hader

Adrian Houser

Corey Knebel

Freddy Peralta

Dylan File

Drew Rasmussen

Brandon Woodruff

CATCHERS

Mario Feliciano

Payton Henry

Omar Narváez

INFIELDERS

Keston Hiura

Luis Urías

OUTFIELDERS

Tristan Lutz

Christian Yelich

Ashby

Burnes

Hader

Houser

Knebel

Lauer

Peralta

Rasmussen

Woodruff

Urias

Hiura

Feleciano

Narvaez

Garcia

Yelich

Close to the list Suter Lazar Cain Lutz. Really would hate to lose Suter. Lauer would be my one to drop.

Aaron Ashby

Corbin Burnes

Josh Hader

Adrian Houser

Eric Lauer

Josh Lindblom

Freddy Peralta

Drew Rasmussen

Brandon Woodruff

Mario Feliciano

Omar Narváez

Keston Hiura

Luis Urías

Avisaíl García

Tristen Lutz

Christian Yelich

15 names to keep and protect. So The top easiest on keeps in order would have to be:

1. Yelich

2. Hiura

3. Hader

4. Woodruff

5. Peralta

6. Urias

7. Houser

8. Lauer

9. Narvaez

10.Burnes

11.Kneble

12.Suter

Honestly after that I don't more. These 12 are my priority and Suter honestly is just to get to 12. Last three to keep I have to say Cain, Garcia, and Brock Holt.

2 expansion teams drafting players and I look at Cain and gotta say for his price and age, I would think those teams could do better.

Same with Garcia. 1b is something that is easily filled. I choose Holt last because he could be an OF replacing Garcia, a 3b or a 1b. My top 12 are starters, most with over 2 years of control beyond 2020. Protecting guys from our minors? Nobody is really a top 100 so again, what is the likelihood these two teams pick from our minors. The other 29 teams have to select 15 players to protect, most have got to be among their 26man. I mean think about that. 11players at minimum from every team's 26man will be exposed.

Going off a list of teams with multiple top 100 prospects:

Tampa with 8

San Diego with 6

Atlanta with 6

Seattle with 6

LA Dodgers with 6

Minnesota with 6

Detroit has 4 and being a rebuilding team should have no problem protecting.

Arizona has 4

Miami has 4 but I'd imagine they can protect them

Kansas City has 4 but also can likely protect them

San Fran Giants have 3 and should easily protect them

Baltimore has 4 and should be able to protect them

Chicago White Sox have 4

Toronto has 4

Oakland has 3

Cincy has 3

Phillies have 2

Houston has 2

Cleveland has 2

Yankees have 2

Texas has 2

Pittsburgh has 3

Colorado has 3

St. Louis has 2

LA Angels have 2

Washington has 2

26 teams that will no doubt have to save 1 Minor Leaguer but the teams with 4+, that's at least 2 if not 3 saving. Now you're down 12players you protect on your ML team. The Rays, Braves, Dodgers, Mariners, Twins and Padres are competitive teams heading in to 2020. What are they going to protect? the ML team or the Minor league youthful?

So for the Brewers, they are likely the least affected team in an Expansion draft, something that maybe you can pat Stearns on the back if he set up the 2020 roster with a looming expansion thought process in mind.

Article says we have to protect Cain is that the case? They also do not consider minor leagues with enough service time. From their article I vote:

Yeli, Hiura, Woodruff, Hader, Navarez, Lauer, Houser, Peralta, Lindblom, Garcia, Suter, Burnes, Black, Cain, Urias

obviously it would be different if guys like Ashby, Lutz, Feleciano and Rasmussen need to be protected.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Article says we have to protect Cain is that the case? They also do not consider minor leagues with enough service time. From their article I vote:

Yeli, Hiura, Woodruff, Hader, Navarez, Lauer, Houser, Peralta, Lindblom, Garcia, Suter, Burnes, Black, Cain, Urias

obviously it would be different if guys like Ashby, Lutz, Feleciano and Rasmussen need to be protected.

Why wouldn't Lutz, Feliciano, Ashby and Rasumuseen need to be protected?

After this season, won't Ashby and Rasmussen have three years of experience (and been age 19 or older at signing). And won't Lutz and Feliciano have four years of experience - and been 18 at signing?

Or am I wrong?

1. Yelich

2. Narvaez

3. Woodruff

4. Hader

5. Hiura

6. Knebel

7. Houser

8. Peralta

9. Feliciano

10. File

11. Lazar

12. Rasmussen

13. Braun

14. Suter

15. Urias

First-round add-ons

16. Clayton Andrews

17. Lauer

18. Cooper Hummel

Second-round add-ons

19. Lutz

20. Bettinger

21. Lauer

Contingencies (if player in the 18-21 range is drafted)

22. Ray

23. Burnes

Mlbtraderumors ran their expansion draft today; Arica, Taylor and Healy were taken. Can’t say if this was real the brewers would be really hurt.

Not hurt at all.

OK, you lose Arcia as an option against lefties (As an aside, I ended up with a Sogard/Arcia platoon at short for 2020 in Baseball Mogul... worked surprisingly well. Sogard has 117 starts, hit .308/.378/.444 for an .822 OPS; Arcia 44 starts at short, .290/.363/.404 for a .767 OPS).

Archived