Brewer Fanatic

How important is slugging %?

RoseBowlMtg
Quote:
I don't believe in RISP stats at all, I think they are completely meaningless

I think the problem with RISP and Runner's On stats are that they are too broad to use by themselves when making comparisons. I think rluz made a good point of this with his graph, although even that didn't tell the whole story.

If there is a runner on second, no one out, a hitter should be trying to put the ball into play on the right side of the field. Before Sabermetrics people get too bent out of shape, let me say that the hitter should be trying to get a base hit, not intentionally grounding or flying out. You try to get a hit over to that side, but if you fail to do that, a gb or deep fly will move the runner over to third.

Let's say player A had 10 opprotunities in that situation. He ends up getting two hits, but in 5 of his outs he moves the runner over to third. You then end up with two situations of runners on the corners no out, five situations of runner on third one out, and three situations of runner on second one out. Let's then say that player B has the same situations, but doesn't try to go to right, just tries to get a hit. He ends up with 3 hits, but only moves the runner over twice. You end up with three situations of runners on the corners no out, two instances of runner on third and one out, and five situations of a runner on second and one out. Player A has .200 BARISP and Player B has .300 BARISP. Now, this is only assuming all hits were singles and the runner never scored from second.

Can you really say Player B was that much better than Player A with RISP? Player A put a runner on thrid two more times than Player A. It's a very small example, but I was just pointing out how you can't use RISP as the only tool in how a player does in those situations.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

in 2002, the 1st basemen in the playoffs were Snow, T. Martinez, Hatteberg, Mientkiewitz, Spiezio, Giambi, Grace, and J. Franco.

In the LCS, Mientkiewitz, Spezio, Snow, and Martinez.

In the World Series, Spezio and Snow

I remember this, because this shocked me. The typical notion of having power at the corners or "winning teams must have stud 1st basemen" proved wrong this season. How did these teams all thrive with only one powerful 1b among the 8 (Giambi)?

Archived