Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Affiliates

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what was settled on, but I thought one of the plans involved the drafted players not actually playing in the minor leagues in their draft year. Truthfully, while the Brewers have too many players still, I don't know that it is any more so than most years. I think the previous rounds of cuts were the going from three rookie teams to one adjustment.

According to one of the recent Baseball America podcasts (discussing the minor league restructuring) JJCooper was reporting that MLB teams will be facing a max number of players in their United States development system....

The number had NOT yet been finalized but from that number a team (like MKE) would need to fill its entire AAA/ AA/ High A & Low A roster. I believe it would also include those playing in the complex leagues in Arizona/ Florida. Cooper was reporting that the number would not cover any foreign development leagues like Dominican Summer or other places. Hence why distinguishing the pool as US development system.

While everyone (myself included) is interested to find out where the various affiliates are for each team, I am also interested in learning what that organization player number is too...

I found this article that suggests the players will stay in the draft league after they are drafted: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/mlb-announces-draft-league-prospects-2021.html

If so, I would still expect the top few drafted players to go straight to A level. I'm sure the "MLB scouts" that will be helping in the draft league will be more like "spies" to make sure pitch counts are not exceeded and players are not put at risk. No pitcher is going to go over 100 pitches in a game and probably will be more like 70.

A draft league would be interesting especially if they end up televising games on MLB network prior to the draft. It would be fun for baseball die hards like us to watch games to see the players the Brewers are rumoured to pick.

Since Nashville and Round Rock both say "interesting twist" that makes the most sense, but I struggle calling the Rangers a "mystery team" since they are the the current affiliate. A "mystery team" would be something like the Braves going to Nashville and moving their current AAA team to one of the "A" levels.

That's interesting. What would be the swap at AAA with Gwinnett dropping? Wisconsin? Beloit? Could the Cubs elevate one of the MWL teams (Kane County in the Chicago burbs?), and leave Iowa, opening that up for the Brewers?

I've seen 150 as the total number of minor league players, but I can't remember where I saw it. And like MadThinker said, it's not finalized. This all feels so rushed, so I don't think anyone really knows how this will all play out.

Players remaining in the draft league, post draft, is interesting. I guess it's not completely unprecedented, as players still play in the College World Series after being drafted. Like CBF suggested, I think we may see a mix of outcomes. Some players will stay in the league, others will go to the complexes, and some of the more advanced players end up in Low A.

I read the Pioneer League is going to install more technology. I'm sure that's more for player evaluation, but hopefully that leads to more "televised" games.

That is good to hear. Even for teams that don’t field a second AZL or GCL team, I was worried that the more stringent limits would lead teams to cut fringy prospects the moment they suffer a serious injury, leaving them not just out of a job but responsible for their own rehab costs as well.

Since Nashville and Round Rock both say "interesting twist" that makes the most sense, but I struggle calling the Rangers a "mystery team" since they are the the current affiliate. A "mystery team" would be something like the Braves going to Nashville and moving their current AAA team to one of the "A" levels.

That's interesting. What would be the swap at AAA with Gwinnett dropping? Wisconsin? Beloit? Could the Cubs elevate one of the MWL teams (Kane County in the Chicago burbs?), and leave Iowa, opening that up for the Brewers?

What if Nashville is still anti-Brewers and threatening to go Indy?

Ballpark Digest just updated the tracker, and they've got the Brewers in Nashville, Rangers back in Round Rock. No question marks, no "mystery team", no "interesting twist".

They've got "expected to continue" for Biloxi, though that's been the default for most of the teams. At AA, aside from the San Antonio and Wichita demotions, they suggest Bowie could be out as the O's AA affiliate, and Frederick back from the initial cut list to land as Baltimore's AA team. Jackson also looks to be in trouble, but Chattanooga looks like they might be safe now.

The Ballpark Digest guy said in a tweet this morning that we could finally get the list of 120 tomorrow or Friday. I'd still bet on Nashville-Biloxi-Wisconsin-Carolina.

https://ballparkdigest.com/200905261902/minor-league-baseball/news/affiliate-dance-2012

What if Nashville is still anti-Brewers and threatening to go Indy?

I do not think they have ever been anti-brewers. They just thought Oakland was a better situation for them. They had the upper hand at the moment. MLB took away the upper hand (rightfully) from the minor league clubs.

The saints just paid millions to get into affiliated ball and leave Indy. I would think it would be crazy to leave MILB to go play the Milwaukee Milkmen (no offense to them, I do like going to their games, but its not the same quality of play)

seems like the brewers will be one of the last teams to know the affiliates.

I think the Brewers are in better shape than at least a handful of other teams, especially now with AAA apparently cleaned up. There still seems to be some confusion for a lot of the teams out west about who their High-A teams will be, and ditto with the Florida teams. Will Rome be a High-A or Low-A team for the Braves? Who's gonna be the Reds' AA team? Still a lot of major question marks out there. *Maybe* we see a change at AA, but I don't think we will.

Only four teams have the complete list "confirmed" at BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-minor-league-baseball-affiliation-chart/

December 8th now? That sucks for us following along, but it's absolute garbage for teams who don't know what's in store for them in 2021, and ALL teams still have to make schedules, plan promotions, etc. Can't say I'm surprised, but just awful, awful handling by MLB.

I’d like to see MLBPA create a franchise at the AA or AAA level. Allow strongly solid Ex-MLB players to play at a low salary to audition for a spot back with an MLB club. But instead of being beholden to the one team giving them an opportunity, they would essentially be a free agent they could be poached at any time

Archived