Brewer Fanatic

Brewers All-Time Team: Top 3 Shortstops

The Brewers have seen memorable years from shortstops - for both good and bad reasons. But here are the best who have manned the position.

1. Robin Yount - Manned the position for 11 seasons, and posted two of the best offensive seasons at the position in franchise history, including the 1982 season. Nobody has even come close since the start of the 1985 season.

2. JJ Hardy - In four-plus seasons as the primary shortstop, Hardy had flashed some real potential. What could have been? From 2011-2014, he would hit 86 homers, and rack up three Gold Gloves, a Silver Slugger, and an All-Star game nod. Granted, he was traded for Carlos Gomez.

3. Jose Valentin - Like JJ Hardy, he posted some good years with Milwaukee (was acquired in the Gary Sheffield trade), but like Hardy, may have been traded too soon. From 2000-2004, Valentin had an average of 27 homers a year, and also showed versatility later in his career.

Honorable Mentions: Consistency was hard to find for many Brewers shortstops. Dale Sveum's 1987 season was memorable, but 1988 saw a drop-off and then a career-altering injury. Pat Listach won Rookie of the Year in 1992, and faded away. Jose Hernandez was a 2002 All-Star and had a solid 2001 at the nadir of Brewers fortunes. Bill Hall took over shortstop in 2006 after JJ Hardy was hurt and had his best, but saw part-time duty and a lot of time at other positions other years. Jean Segura was amazing in 2013, but slumped after personal tragedy, then rebounded after a trade. Mark Loretta was the primary starter in 2000, but saw a lot of part-time duty in other years (as well as time elsewhere on the diamond). Orlando Arcia's 2018 postseason was amazing, and his defense was spectacular, but the bat's never really been consistent.

Community Moderator

Yount the obvious #1.

Even though Hardy has the edge as both a fielder (+39 vs +16) & hitter (95 OPS+ vs 89 OPS+), I think I'd go with Valentin as my backup since his superior base running (+20 vs -9) is a better fit off the bench.

Yount the obvious #1.

Even though Hardy has the edge as both a fielder (+39 vs +16) & hitter (95 OPS+ vs 89 OPS+), I think I'd go with Valentin as my backup since his superior base running (+20 vs -9) is a better fit off the bench.

I may well do a Top All-Time Bench with about eight to ten players who'd be the All-Time Brewers Bench... and some of the honorable mentions may end up there.

Yount the obvious #1.

You can't be serious? We all know Yuni-B is the greatest SS in Brewers history!

Archived