Brewer Fanatic

Brewers All-Time Team: Top 3 Catchers

So... let's get another discussion going: The top three players at each position over Brewers' history.

We'll start with those who don the tools of ignorance. My picks for the top 3:

1. Jonathan Lucroy - Easily the best the Crew has had. Was the primary starter for seven seasons, and two All-Star selections. Had a .779 OPS in his tenure with the Crew.

2. Darrell Porter - Had four years behind the plate, and notched third place as Rookie of the Year and an All-Start Game appearance. Still, it can be said he had a consistently good run for the Crew.

3. B.J. Surhoff - This is arguably more for longevity (six seasons as primary starter, plus significant time in 1993 and 1995), but Surhoff had some good moments for the Crew. Did bring some speed to the position, stealing 102 bases as a Brewer.

Honorable mention: Ted Simmons was in the Hall of Fame, but had only really two good years (1982/1983) behind the plate and was a DH for the last two...and his 1981 was not that great. Dave Nilsson arguably had the best bat behind the plate (aside from Yasmani Grandal's 2019), but was constantly moved. Charlie Moore was there for a long time... but that's really all he offered. Mike Matheny had three years as the starter, was so-so, but after he left, racked up four Gold Gloves.

I would replace Porter with Dave Nilsson. After his fine rookie year in 1973, Porter was a disappointment as a Brewer. Nilsson was not known for his defense but he wasn't that bad and he wasn't just a good hitter for a catcher, he was a good hitter period, much better with the bat than Lucroy or even Simmons was as a Brewer.

Yeah Nilsson was moved around in part because they also had Matheny at the time. but after Matheny left in 1999, Nilsson took over full time behind the plate and had arguably the best offensive season of any Brewer catcher including Grandal: .309/.400/.554.

I would replace Porter with Dave Nilsson. After his fine rookie year in 1973, Porter was a disappointment as a Brewer. Nilsson was not known for his defense but he wasn't that bad and he wasn't just a good hitter for a catcher, he was a good hitter period, much better with the bat than Lucroy or even Simmons was as a Brewer.

Yeah Nilsson was moved around in part because they also had Matheny at the time. but after Matheny left in 1999, Nilsson took over full time behind the plate and had arguably the best offensive season of any Brewer catcher including Grandal: .309/.400/.554.

It's an interesting case... I did have Nilsson almost bump Surhoff on the bat alone, but Surhoff had not just a decent bat, but all or part of eight seasons (1987-1993, 1995) where he was playing catcher.

On the other hand, utility players may come up later... and Nilsson is a contender there.

Community Moderator

Lucroy | 3137 PA | 110 OPS+ | 17.3 WAR

Surhoff | 4304 PA | 92 OPS+ | 15.4 WAR

Porter | 2009 PA | 105 OPS+ | 11.1 WAR

Nilsson | 3153 PA | 110 OPS+ | 10.6 WAR

Moore | 4358 PA | 89 OPS+ | 10.5 WAR

Simmons | 2768 PA | 100 OPS+ | 6.1 WAR

Lucroy & Nilsson on the 25 man for me with BJ in AAA.

Lucroy | 3137 PA | 110 OPS+ | 17.3 WAR

Surhoff | 4304 PA | 92 OPS+ | 15.4 WAR

Porter | 2009 PA | 105 OPS+ | 11.1 WAR

Nilsson | 3153 PA | 110 OPS+ | 10.6 WAR

Moore | 4358 PA | 89 OPS+ | 10.5 WAR

Simmons | 2768 PA | 100 OPS+ | 6.1 WAR

Lucroy & Nilsson on the 25 man for me with BJ in AAA.

I'd probably agree with Luc and Nilsson at catcher, each, though catches about 60-70 games, plays another 70-80 at first... Surhoff is also on the 25-man as a utility player, playing some catcher, some third, and in the outfield.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's really hard to argue with Lucroy being the best/most consistent catcher in Brewers history. After that the waters muddy. For me I'd go 2) Nillson 3) Surhoff, but I could probably be swayed with a good argument that Porter or Simmons deserves the last spot.

Wonder where Jonny Estrada falls on this list? :D :D :D

It's really hard to argue with Lucroy being the best/most consistent catcher in Brewers history. After that the waters muddy. For me I'd go 2) Nillson 3) Surhoff, but I could probably be swayed with a good argument that Porter or Simmons deserves the last spot.

Wonder where Jonny Estrada falls on this list? :D :D :D

Behind Henry Blanco, who was an offensive black hole, and just ahead of Paul Bako.

Community Moderator

Looking at things a little closer, Nilsson never really hit during the three years he was behind the plate & didn't start raking until he moved to 1B/DH.

Think I'm gonna have to bump him down to AAA with BJ & go with Porter as my backup instead since he is only marginally worse as a hitter, but has the advantage of being an actual competent backstop.

Archived