Brewer Fanatic

2020 NFL Draft Round 1 Discussion

homer
Love started against three Power 5 teams last season -- Wake Forest, LSU and Michigan State.

He has a 48 QB rating in those games with 3 TDs and 8 INTs.

Didn't he lost like..10 of the top 11 returning offensive players, like his top 6 receivers, the entire OL and get a new system? I don't know what it was exactly, but it was a pretty ridiculous amount of turnover.

He was pretty dynamic the year before.

I think it was on the ABC coverage that Herbstreet or Palmer said his throwing windows may actually be bigger in the NFL than they were last year due to how horrible his receivers were.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion the Packers are not that great and will probably be 10-6 or something. The idea that a first round pick on defense or at WR would not only be good, but so good that he would have made a difference in that NFCCG, is laughable.

That said, football is a weird sport year to year so them being in the Super Bowl wouldn't floor me either. Their season and progress hinges on so much more besides their 1st rounder that I just don't see it as worth being upset about.

Let’s say the Packers don’t catch as many breaks as they did a year ago and were like 8-8 or 9-7. Does the mindset of fans change a bit with this type of selection then? I think this team can play to a high level but I also thinks it’s as likely or maybe even more likely that they take a step back this season even with a good draft.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes, but this doesn’t paint the picture that many want to.

I understand why people wanted a guy to help right now. I remember watching the Packers pick Aaron Rodgers and thinking the same thing. I don't understand people being so short sighted as we're in the midst of one of the greatest QB's of all time whom drafted at almost exactly the same play in the 1st round and almost exactly the same point in the previous HOF QB's career.

I mean..we had Brett Favre, we were a playoff team that lost to the Vikings and had holes and people wanted to take another shot before Favre's career came to an end just like we are now. And would one single person even try to argue that we were wrong to take the QB in the first ahead of other players who could provide more immediate help the last time around?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If the Packers actually think this guy is one of the next great QBs then taking him is 100% the right call. Even if he isn't. If they feel confident today that he is, and this was a slam dunk on their draft board, it is the right call. Look at the QBs in our division over the last 35 years.

No one is "trying" to paint a picture, Brew. Everyone here wants this guy to be successful. Just stating the statistical facts. Yes, his supporting cast was down from 2018 and he tried to do too much.

Well that is exactly what you're doing. If you know how much the deck was stacked against him and the ONLY thing you post is a negative stat line from 3 games vs power 5 teams, you're not telling the whole story. You ARE "just stating statistical facts," while omitting all relevant context. Telling only one part of a story is skewing the story and JUST that is painting a picture.

His stat line from last year is obviously troubling...but you don't need to watch much to see what he COULD become at the same time. All I heard about this guy was that he had a Patrick Mahomes-esque ceiling...but he also had a very low floor. So AGAIN, it's easy to see why fans are upset about a QB while we still have a HOF QB and a team coming off a NFCCG loss...but if it hits it becomes a no-brainer.

If the Packers actually think this guy is one of the next great QBs then taking him is 100% the right call. Even if he isn't. If they feel confident today that he is, and this was a slam dunk on their draft board, it is the right call. Look at the QBs in our division over the last 35 years.

I was just shocked he kept falling. I really think if there wasn't this whole Covid lockdown and more teams watched him work out, he'd have been gone long before he was just based on his physical tools.

But it IS disappointing in the short term to not see a 13-3 team that lost in the NFCCG add someone who's going to help immediately. I totally understand why people aren't excited about this pick.

Adding immediate help is great if sports were like Legos and I could just tack a piece on to something I built and let sit for a year, but that just isn't how it works. There are too many moving parts every offseason and changes around the league to get caught up in that. It is more prudent to trust your evaluators and take your best players.

I dont care what NE was doing. If they wantef Love good for them. They no longer have Brady who started for them last season. GB still has Rodgers, pay him the highest on the team. Love doesnt make GB a 10+win team the next 3years. You took your 1st pick and ignored your team for at least 3 seasons. Its hot garbage. SF who beat your team to go to the Super Bowl last season picked a DE who'll start from day 1. Then adds a WR likely to start day 1 from the slot. You had no answer for Bosa last season. They made it tougher. You had no answer for George Kittle last year. They paired him up with a weapon to mismatch your defense even more. If you have no intention to put a SB team out there after being 1game away, you have no right to trade up and select a project with your 1st pick.

How did you feel about the selection of Aaron Rodgers?

Didnt realize Love was Joe Burrows or Tua Tags. Dont remember trading up for Rodgers. Oh yeah thats because the #1 or 2 QB in Rodgers' draft Fell to our selection. Burrows and Tua were selected. Heck QB #3 was selected too and didnt fall to #30. We werent 1 game from the Super Bowl leading up to that Rodgers pick. Rodgers played vs Pac 12 opponents. Love had 5 multi int games against the likes of Wake Forest, Colorado St,

Louisiana St, Brigham Young, and Wyoming. Rodgers threw 6ints all last season and never more than 13 in any season in his Nfl and college careers.

This will never be good pick imo unless Rodgers wins a SB in the next 2seasons. Love wins the Super Bowl at least once for GB(as starter) this decade. What odds are you giving me both will happen after this pick?

Hey we still have 2nd and 3rd round pick right? Followed with #30 in the 5th rd. You tell me how likely these are propeliing GB over SF after their first 2 picks today?

No one cares about stats from college. Talk about empty.

I think you're going to hear a LOT of Packers fans who are unhappy with this pick citing his 2019 stats(and ignoring his 2018 stats) over the next few weeks.

If you mean that actual executives and people who make decisions don't care...I think you're mostly right. It is always better to see production in college than poor stats. But it tells such a small part of the story...ESPECIALLY with Love.

With Burrow on the other hand...I think the stats are helpful.

Didnt realize Love was Joe Burrows or Tua Tags. Dont remember trading up for Rodgers. Oh yeah thats because the #1 or 2 QB in Rodgers' draft Fell to our selection. Burrows and Tua were selected. Heck QB #3 was selected too and didnt fall to #30. We werent 1 game from the Super Bowl leading up to that Rodgers pick. Rodgers played vs Pac 12 opponents. Love had 5 multi int games against the likes of Wake Forest, Colorado St,

Louisiana St, Brigham Young, and Wyoming. Rodgers threw 6ints all last season and never more than 13 in any season in his Nfl and college careers.

This will never be good pick imo unless Rodgers wins a SB in the next 2seasons. Love wins the Super Bowl at least once for GB(as starter) this decade. What odds are you giving me both will happen after this pick?

Hey we still have 2nd and 3rd round pick right? Followed with #30 in the 5th rd. You tell me how likely these are propeliing GB over SF after their first 2 picks today?

So....nothing on your thoughts on the Packers picking Aaron Rodgers? I asked a straight forward question and got an emotional answer.

For the record, if you EVER expect ANY player to be as good as or have to match Aaron Rodgers in order for a pick to be successful...well, lets just say, it's not hard to see why you're CONSTANTLY disappointed with every draft from pretty much every team you root for.

SF got better today, we didn’t.

I just don’t get the Favre to Rodgers comp. Rodgers was a potential #1 pick who fell into the 20’s. The Packers just traded up to take a QB about where he was projected at the end of 1st round.

It also seems off given Rodgers contract length and cost.

QB was not a need and is too big of a hit/miss risk to waste capital on right now when we have a window to win now.

The last baffling aspect is to me a starting QB on a cheap rookie deal really gives a team a chance to surround them with talent. This basically ensures by the time Love starts he’s already going to be due for an extension so they would also miss that window.

I can't believe there's this much attention to me quoting stats from 3 games against power 5 teams. No, college stats are not "empty". They're simply one piece of information for evaluation.

Yes, he did have a poor supporting cast in 2019. I'm not downplaying the talent. I understand the Patrick Mahomes ceiling argument, and it's legitimate.

What I have a problem with is guys penciling Love in as our franchise QB for the next 15-20 years and saying we now have "two very good QBs", to lump Love in with Rodgers at this point is just absurd.

The fact of the matter is that there is probably just as good of a chance at Love ending up as Geno Smith as there is of him ending up as Patrick Mahomes. There are a lot of things that are correctable, but the lack of field vision is concerning -- it's a big reason Brett Hundley never became the QB prospect we hoped for.

So let's wait and see. But I do think people are far too apt to overlook clear mechanical weaknesses if the pure athletic talent is there.

Wait, I thought 13-3 was a mirage last year because no one predicted it before the season started, we didn't have the "identity" or point differential to support it & then the NFCCG happened?

Now its justification to draft for immediate need over BPA?

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst on Aaron Rodgers and what the Jordan Love pick means for him: "We've got the best quarterback in the NFL and we plan to have him for a while.

And for what little it's worth....Packers listed as one of the "winners" in the first round.

I love this landing spot for Love, a developmental quarterback who had a rough season after the Aggies lost a ton of talent around him. He threw 17 interceptions (most in the FBS), but you can't blame him for all of those. And you also can't coach the arm talent that he has. Yes, the Packers traded a fourth-round pick to move up four spots to get Love, but Matt LaFleur now gets a young quarterback who can sit behind Aaron Rodgers and learn, just as Rodgers did all those years ago under Brett Favre.

Wait, I thought 13-3 was a mirage last year because no one predicted it before the season started, we didn't have the "identity" or point differential to support it & then the NFCCG happened?

Now its justification to draft for immediate need over BPA?

13-3 was definitely a mirage. It happened, but the 2019 Packers were far from a true 13-3 quality team.

I could go either way on that. While I maintain it was a mirage, there's enough parity in the NFL where things tend to be a crapshoot from year to year. Maybe Rodgers has a big resurgence in 2020, and maybe the defense improved greatly. I doubt it, but who knows. So if they wanted to go add an OJ Howard, maybe trade for Ngakoue and try to really make a run, I would definitely understand it.

Going this route, if they have an 8-8 type season and miss the playoffs, which I think is absolutely a possibility, I'd completely understand going the other way and dealing Rodgers after '20 or '21 if they were happy with Love's progress and Rodgers was still playing at a high enough level to bring a significant return.

I can't believe there's this much attention to me quoting stats from 3 games against power 5 teams. No, college stats are not "empty". They're simply one piece of information for evaluation.

Yes, he did have a poor supporting cast in 2019. I'm not downplaying the talent. I understand the Patrick Mahomes ceiling argument, and it's legitimate.

What I have a problem with is guys penciling Love in as our franchise QB for the next 15-20 years and saying we now have "two very good QBs", to lump Love in with Rodgers at this point is just absurd.

The fact of the matter is that there is probably just as good of a chance at Love ending up as Geno Smith as there is of him ending up as Patrick Mahomes. There are a lot of things that are correctable, but the lack of field vision is concerning -- it's a big reason Brett Hundley never became the QB prospect we hoped for.

So let's wait and see. But I do think people are far too apt to overlook clear mechanical weaknesses if the pure athletic talent is there.

Haven't seen a whole lot of people making this argument.

Haven't seen a whole lot of people making this argument.

Both of those that you bolded have literally been made in this thread.

"In theory we are set at QB for another 15-20 years"

"Qb is the most important position …….. We now have two, two really good QB."

So....nothing on your thoughts on the Packers picking Aaron Rodgers? I asked a straight forward question and got an emotional answer.

For the record, if you EVER expect ANY player to be as good as or have to match Aaron Rodgers in order for a pick to be successful...well, lets just say, it's not hard to see why you're CONSTANTLY disappointed with every draft from pretty much every team you root for.

What does my opinion on Rodgers' selection have to do with my opinion on Love? The comparison of the 2 selections, there isnt one. Scenarios were far different. My response to your topic was attempt to try to understand how you incorrectly compare Rodgers pick reaction vs my reaction to what is easily the worst pick made in the 1st round.

But here after that reply, Rodgers selection was the best pick for that draft with where we picked him and simply choosing him. I was shocked and excited an expected 1st pick was there for us to choose and we chose him.

I didnt say Love had to be as good as Rodgers. I said he had to win a SB in the next decade to make this pick a good pick. (Rodgers winning another one included) Its a terrible pick, but go ahead be happy with it when the first, first game of the season hes starting is 4 or 5 seasons from now. And enjoy a team thats further away from a Super Bowl next season than they were hours ago. Other teams got better including within our division. We did not and committed 2picks of top 4 to not improve.

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst on Aaron Rodgers and what the Jordan Love pick means for him: "We've got the best quarterback in the NFL and we plan to have him for a while.

And for what little it's worth....Packers listed as one of the "winners" in the first round.

I love this landing spot for Love, a developmental quarterback who had a rough season after the Aggies lost a ton of talent around him. He threw 17 interceptions (most in the FBS), but you can't blame him for all of those. And you also can't coach the arm talent that he has. Yes, the Packers traded a fourth-round pick to move up four spots to get Love, but Matt LaFleur now gets a young quarterback who can sit behind Aaron Rodgers and learn, just as Rodgers did all those years ago under Brett Favre.

If Eason or Frohm were picked in the 3rd or 4th round by GB, this quote could almost be copied, just adjust the team and stat concern.

Of course any QB selected is a lovely landing spot. They all would have multiple seasons to learn behind Rodgers and be Lafluer's QB beyond Rodgers. Considering Rodgers was a #1 thought selection for QB, did he really need to learn much behind Favre? That would be a great list to have Rodgers do on what he learned from Favre. Did he learn directly from him, or learn nuances from what he watched? Like risk averse to Int?

Just going to add here vs another post. Love's Ints last year

I'll give 4 for great plays and not his fault. These INTs are not a WR talent problem. Underthrown, late thrown, double or triple coverage. The 2-4yd sideline mis-throws are alarming. Zip not there on those throws and that is a basic call at least 3 or 4 times every game.

I believe the impetus for trading up was that Seattle was actively looking to trade down. Gutes was on the phone with Seattle to get their pick and said, "Hold on, we just got a better deal". This, to me, implies that there was competition for Seattle's pick which forced GB to up the ante for it, which was more than GB's 4th round pick.

Archived