Brewer Fanatic

Simulated 2020 Baseball Season (JosephC)

JosephC

https://www.ootpdevelopments.com/

Roster move made. Ben Gamel added to the 25-man roster, Tyrone Taylor optioned to AAA.

March 31 - Brewers 5, Cardinals 4 (12 innings)

Game summary

[attachment=3]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-01_10-16-26.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters 1

[attachment=2]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-01_10-16-44.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters 2

[attachment=1]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-01_10-17-02.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-01_10-17-10.jpg[/attachment]

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 1 - Brewers 2, Cardinals 1

A number of Brewer relievers are currently in exhausted or tired status, explaining the late inning usage in this game. I'm expecting a fresh arm roster move to be made pretty quick.

Game summary

[attachment=2]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-01_09-32-35.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-01_09-32-47.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-01_09-33-01.jpg[/attachment]

And so it continues with Yelich at the 4th spot. No matter how bad Hiura is batting ahead of him. I noticed the BREF simulation was doing the same lineup setup and Hiura with under .200BA like CC would just continue setting his lineup that way. Brewers are probably exceeding expectations because Sogard is clearly being given the benefit of the doubt of his year last season with not only decent batting thus far but power on top. Sogard had 2HRs to Yelich's 0 I think it was on the site.

And so it continues with Yelich at the 4th spot. No matter how bad Hiura is batting ahead of him. I noticed the BREF simulation was doing the same lineup setup and Hiura with under .200BA like CC would just continue setting his lineup that way. Brewers are probably exceeding expectations because Sogard is clearly being given the benefit of the doubt of his year last season with not only decent batting thus far but power on top. Sogard had 2HRs to Yelich's 0 I think it was on the site.

I suppose that I could go in, see who the starters are, then take control and move Yelich to #2, play through the first at-bat, and then turn the setting back to have Counsell manage the rest of the ballgame. However, I have no interest in doing that. As long at Yelich is starting and getting at-bats, I'm not going to mess with it.

The one potential issue that might push me to do a modification is a possible Hiura/Urias situation at 2B. I've seen in past versions, a one-position guy who should be starting gets stuck on the bench because there is another guy who is better defensively at that position, pushing his rating higher and putting him in the lineup. Hiura's overall rating is 55. Urias is a 49; however, that's as a shortstop and they give him a 50 rating at shortstop but a 65 at second base....so if he's re-categorized as a second baseman that will push his grade higher than 49. If it pushes it over 55, that could drive the engine to make Urias the starting second baseman and if that happens, Hiura would go to the bench. If something like that happens, at that point I'll feel forced to modify it. However, plan is to not try to do any manipulations unless absolutely necessary.

BTW, Arcia's grade is a 45, so I expect Urias to take his spot. Urias status is injured but only for 1 more day. OOTP does do rehab assignments, but since the AAA season doesn't start until the 9th, I'm expecting Urias to go straight on the 25-man roster. Would think that Arcia is probably the odd man out since he does have 1 option year left. But that would be a shame. As seen in the box score, his batting average is only .211. However, he's been one of the best hitters so far. Arcia's overall slash line to this point is .211/.348/.579/.927 and he's on the plus side in zone rating as well.

Please split these up in different threads...

I beg of you!!!!

I'm not sure how much of a pain that would be for Eye Black.

The Brewers would have had an off-day on Friday, so on that day I'll probably post some screenshots like the standings, Brewer hitting and pitching stats. I could just start a new thread at that time. I really don't see any reason to migrate box scores over from the first seven games because I doubt people would have any interest in viewing them at that point, especially if I lead off the thread with the current standings and stats.

April 2 - Brewers 7, Phillies 3

J.P Feyereisen optioned to AAA. LHP-Chris Lee added to the 25 man roster.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/12/14/21021660/milwaukee-brewers-purchase-contract-of-chris-lee-from-independent-leagues

Brock Holt was injured in this game, a collision on the bases. Diagnosis is a sprained wrist, listed as day-to-day with a recovery time of 1-2 weeks. Since it's a day-to-day injury, he may avoid the disabled list.

Game summary

[attachment=2]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-02_08-25-33.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-02_08-25-46.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-04-02_08-26-04.jpg[/attachment]

I tried OOTP this year for the first time following many as a Mogul player. Very happy with the switch, and very impressed so far. Doesn't hurt that OOTP seems to really like Milwaukee's roster of hitters based on my results so far....

Roster move made. Luis Urias added to 26 man roster and Brock Holt placed on the 10 day DL.

As initially feared, the engine put Urias at 2B which sent Hiura to the bench as he is 2B only. At first I thought I would need to manually force Hiura at 2B; however, I instead did a "ask manager for all lineups" and that put Hiura back at 2B, put Urias at SS and put Arcia on the bench. Glad that worked out as I don't want to do any manual manipulation of the sim.

So a breakdown of the 26-man roster:

Primary lineup-

1. CF-Lorenzo Cain

2. RF-Avisail Garcia

3. 2B-Keston Hiura

4. LF-Christian Yelich

5. 1B-Justin Smoak

6. C-Omar Narvaez

7. SS-Luis Urias

8. 3B-Eric Sogard

Reserves = C-David Freitas, 3B-Jedd Gyorko, SS-Orlando Arcia, LF-Ryan Braun, LF-Ben Gamel

Starting rotation = Brandon Woodruff, Adrian Houser, Brent Suter, Freddy Peralta, Brett Anderson

Bullpen = Josh Hader (Closer), Corbin Burnes (Setup), Devin Williams (Setup), Alex Claudio (Middle), Ray Black (Middle), David Phelps (Middle), Chris Lee (Long), Josh Lindblom (Long)

DL = Corey Knebel (can be activated, 2 weeks of injured time left), Brock Holt (out 1-2 weeks, 10 more days on DL)

40-man roster has 32 players, here are the 4 players not on the 26-man roster and DL-

RP-J.P. Feyereisen, 1B-Ryon Healy, SS-Ronny Rodriguez, LF-Tyrone Taylor

Team stats

[attachment=2]Brewer Team Stats.jpg[/attachment]

Batting stats

[attachment=1]Batting Stats.jpg[/attachment]

Pitching stats

[attachment=0]Pitching Stats.jpg[/attachment]

April 4 - Phillies 7, Brewers 4

Brewers now 6-2.

I tried to upload the screenshots as usual, but every time I try to add an attachment it goes to the upload's progress bar for approximately 1 minute, then times out and says the site can't be reached. So no screenshots today.

Houser pummeled, 3 1/3 innings, 9 hits, 5 runs, 3 walks and 1 strikeout.

Chris Lee makes his major league debut and was solid. 2 2/3 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 2 strikeouts.

Devin Williams gives up 2 runs in 1 1/3 inning of work.

Luis Urias makes his Brewer debut and is 1/4 with a double and 1 RBI.

Eric Sogard and David Freitas with solo home runs.

Ryan Braun gets a start and goes 1/4 with a strikeout.

Keston Hiura gets the golden sombrero. 4 at bats and 4 strikeouts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I can add the attachments now-

Game summary

[attachment=2]4_4_game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_4_hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_4_pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 5 - Phillies 8, Brewers 3

Cardinals move into a first place tie with the Brewers at 6-3.

One other note. Hadn't noticed that Noah Syndergaard was pitching in the simulation (his surgery was revealed very late). I have gone in and done a modification, so he is done for the rest of the season after having made 2 starts.

Game summary

[attachment=2]4_5_game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_5_hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_5_pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 6 - Reds 6, Brewers 5 (10 innings)

Cardinals lose 4-0. Brewers and Cards still tied for 1st place with 6-4 records.

This was a train-wreck performance by the bullpen. Brewers 0-3 since Urias was activated and Arcia was sent to the bench.

Game summary

[attachment=2]4_6_2020 game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_6_2020 hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_6_2020 pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 7 - Brewers 6, Reds 3 (8 innings - rain)

Game called due to rain in the bottom of the 8th inning.

Cain was hurt in this game when making a diving catch. He is listed as out for the next four days.

Sonny Gray had terrible numbers coming into this game and was just awful. Now has a 10.03 ERA and 2.83 WHIP in 3 starts.

In other league news, Shohei Ohtani was diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and will miss the next 5 months.

Game summary

[attachment=2]4_7_2020 game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_7_2020 hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_7_2020 pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

I downloaded OOTP to do my own sim, doing the same "unemployed GM" as Joseph. I'm 6-5, but the Pythag says I should be 4-7. Started out terrible, but have come back to win the last four.

Offense is being held up by Cain and Narvaez and is sitting 10th in the NL in Runs Scored. Yelich has 11 BB in 47 PA, but only hitting .200. Pitching hasn't been very good outside of Woodruff and Houser in the rotation and Hader, Burnes and Phelps in the 'pen. Overall 12th in the NL in Runs Allowed.

Big surprise was that they DFA'd Anderson after his first start, when he went 6 innings and gave up 2 runs. Had Lindblom in the 'pen, and moved him to the rotation when they jettisoned Anderson. Signed Carlos Torres for the 'pen.

They made a ton of minor league moves in today's off day, releasing 16 players and signing 16 new guys to minor league deals.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

April 8 - Off

Off-day so two posts today (max of 5 attachments per post). First post will have standings. Second post will have Brewer team and individual stats.

There were a flurry of MiLB moves with many teams starting on the 9th. The Brewers have released Nathan Kirby and Quintin Torres-Costa. Kirby was immediately picked up by the Mets and assigned to Columbia (A). Torres-Costa remains a free agent.

A couple ex-Brewers on the waiver wire. Gio Gonzalez (2 starts, 4.05 ERA, 1.13 WHIP). Deolis Guerra (7 1/3 innings, 1.23 ERA, 0.95 WHIP). The bullpen is down to 12th in the NL in ERA, wouldn't be so surprised to see a move happen there in the near future.

NL Standings

[attachment=3]4_8_NL Standings.jpg[/attachment]

NL Wild Card

[attachment=2]4_8_NL Wild Card.jpg[/attachment]

AL Standings

[attachment=1]4_8_AL Standings.jpg[/attachment]

AL Wild Card

[attachment=0]4_8_AL Wild Card.jpg[/attachment]

April 9 - Mets 9, Brewers 3

Strange lineup with Cain out and Hiura given the day off. Probably didn't matter as Brett Anderson exited early with a hand injury and the Mets proceeded to beat up Josh Lindblom. Urias hits a 2 run home run but it was in the 9th inning with the Brewers down 9-1.

Stroman was great for the Mets. Rosario and McNeil both with 3 hits and Alonso and Marisnick both with 4 RBIs.

Game Summary

[attachment=2]4_9_2020 game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_9_2020 hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_9_2020 pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 10 - Mets 5, Brewers 2

Roster move before today's game. Manny Pina promoted to Milwaukee, David Freitas sent to AAA.

There is also a change in the primary starting lineup. No one has been benched, but Luis Urias has been moved to #2 in the order. That shuffles Avisail Garcia to the #5 spot, and Smoak gets bumped from #5 to #7. Garcia has been awful so far in the simulation (.167/.163/.354/.517 after today's game), so I was not a fan seeing him getting moved behind Yelich.

This game had the look of a possible pitching disaster as Houser has been bad and Claudio, Lindblom and Phelps were all very unlikely to pitch due to "exhausted" status. Nonetheless, for the most part, the pitching held it's own. The Brewers trailed 3-2 going into the 8th, and I had the feeling the Brewers were going to pull this one out late. But Corbin Burnes turned out to be the bullpen goat, he gave up a 2 run home run to Michael Conforto and then gave up a walk before getting pulled which ended the Brewers chances. Brewer's bullpen now with a 5.44 ERA, putting them dead last in the NL. And it's frustrating to see Hader in the closer's role, now 10 days into April and Hader has appeared in 1 game during the month (on the 6th).

In other league news, White Sox pitcher Lucas Giolito sprained his ankle and will miss at least two weeks.

Game summary

[attachment=2]4_10 game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_10 hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_10 pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 11 - Brewers 5, Mets 0

Roster move before today's game. Manny Pina DFA'ed, David Freitas recalled.

Big day for Freddy Peralta. Throws 5 no-hit innings and hits his first career home run. Freddy has been tough to hit this season, but he's walking so many guys that he is running into high pitch counts early.

Game summary

[attachment=2]4_11 game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_11 hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_11 pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 12 - Brewers 6, Mets 3

There's been an adjustment made to the primary lineup. Eric Sogard has been flipped spots with Luis Urias, so now Sogard is the #2 hitter and Urias is the #8 hitter.

Today's game figured to be a pitching duel as it matched Woodruff and deGrom. deGrom gave up two runs in the first, a single by Hiura that knocked in Cain and then a double by Garcia that knocked in Hiura. Woodruff gave up a run in the second on a single by Luis Guillorme that scored Jeff McNeil.

Then it turned horrible for Mets fans as deGrom left the game after the fourth inning with elbow problems.

Smoak hit a solo home run in the sixth and Yelich hit a 2-run home run in the seventh. Wilson Ramos hit a 2-run home run for the Mets in the eighth off of Josh Lindbolm but it was too little, to late as a dominant Hader closed out the game.

Brewers now 9-6 with a 1 game lead over the Cubs. The Cardinals have lost 6 straight and are now 3 games back with a record of 6-9.

Game summary

[attachment=2]4_12 game summary.jpg[/attachment]

Hitters

[attachment=1]4_12 hitters.jpg[/attachment]

Pitchers

[attachment=0]4_12 pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 13 - Brewers 7, Phillies 5 (11 innings)

Keston Hiura hit a 2-run walk-off homer in the 11th inning to win it for the Brewers. He also had a 2-run home run in the 1st inning. Christian Yelich hit a 2-run homer in the 5th inning.

The starting pitching was bad in this ballgame. Zack Wheeler started the year with 2 excellent starts, then a so-so start, then this start which was rather unimpressive. Suter was nothing special either, but somehow the Brewer's pen accounted for 6 1/3 innings of 0 hit, 0 run, 1 walk baseball.

Brewers now 10-6 with a 1 1/2 game lead over the Cubs.

In other league news, Jacob deGrom has bone chips in his elbow and will miss at least 3 months.

[attachment=2]4_13_game summary.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]4_13_hitters.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]4_13_pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 14 - Brewers 4, Phillies 2

Another win for the Brewers. Now up to 11-6. The surprising Orioles (10-7) beat the Cubs 4-2, giving the Brewers a 2 1/2 game lead in the division. Only the Dodgers (12-5) have a better winning percentage in the NL.

Justin Smoak suffered a quadriceps strain while running the bases. Odd injury report as he's listed as day-to-day but a really long recovery time of 6 weeks. No word on if he is headed to the DL.

Corey Knebel's injured time left is down to 3 days, so he'll probably be put on a rehab assignment at the end of the week. Brock Holt's DL time has expired but he is still listed as having a sprained wrist with an unknown recovery time.

Manny Pina has cleared waivers and been assigned to San Antonio. Really wish he would have stayed on the major league roster as Freitas is down to a puny .148/.233/.333/.567.

[attachment=2]4_14_game summary.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]4_14_hitters.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]4_14_pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 15 - Phillies 4, Brewers 3 (10 innings)

Urias and Sogard have once again been flipped in the primary lineup, so now Urias is #2 and Sogard is #8. A bit surprising as Urias has been pretty bad lately, and after today's game he is down to a .132/.283/.263/.546 slash line.

This game was all about Bryce Harper and Justin Smoak. Each player had a 2-run home run and a solo home run. The quad injury that Smoak suffered yesterday was not a problem in this game. Smoak now leads the Brewers in both OBP and SLG. His slash line is up to .294/.410/.627/1.037.

The Phillies loaded the bases in the first off Houser but he was able to wiggle out of it without surrendering a run. He cruised through the next three innings but then gave up a 3-spot in the fifth inning. Lindblom gave up a home run to Harper in the 10th to take the loss. Other than that, it was an impressive bullpen performance for the Brewers, which is encouraging because they had a truly awful stretch about a week ago.

Brewers might have some good luck in this sim, as the rest of the division is looking bad. Only 10% of the way through the season, but there is little doubt to this point that the NL Central is the worst division in baseball.

[attachment=0]4_15_standings.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3]4_15_game summary.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]4_15_hitters.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]4_15_pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

April 16- Brewers 7, Phillies 5 (12 innings)

Arcia with a pinch-hit 2-run home run in the bottom of the 12th to win it for Milwaukee. It's not like Arcia is hitting .300, but he's been clutch, clutch, clutch so far in this sim. Dare I say, if this was really happening, the majority of Brewer fans would be demanding Arcia be put back in the starting lineup and Urias sent back to AAA for more seasoning.

Note that there were 44 strikeouts + walks in this game which was very noticeable when watching the sim.

On other league news, Astro outfielder George Springer broke an ankle and will be out 4-5 months.

[attachment=2]4_16_game summary.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]4_16_hitters.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]4_16_pitchers.jpg[/attachment]

Archived