Brewer Fanatic

Braves trade for Mark Teixeira

brewers255
Quote:
The Braves are on the verge of acquiring Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira.

The deal is done, pending a review of the medical records of the players involved, according to major-league sources.

The Braves will receive Teixeira and left-handed reliever Ron Mahay.

The Rangers will receive catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus and two pitching prospects.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

Thoughts? Awesome deal for the Braves.

Wow. I'm surprised the Rangers went through with it, but the package they got seems pretty good, if not great.

This makes winning the division all the more important though, as the Braves will likely take the wild card, I would think. Tex is not as great as his rep, but the Braves have been terrible at first base so far this year.

braun was a better prospect than everyone in this deal not named teixera...

i think the braves just wanted to trade salty...i expect they will extend Tex pretty fast...this is a classic schuerholz trade...

Could this lead to more trades? A lot of teams now need to upgrade as ATL just got seriouslly better. I can see the NYM, LAD, SDP all those teams upgrade now. Any trades in the works for the brewers or are they standing pat?

Texeria should do alright in Atlanta. I heard that he's good friends with Chipper Jones. I remember thinking the Braves would be sorry for trading away Adam LaRoche, but they got a decent 1B now. Whatever happened to that Adam LaRoche fella.......

I think this may spark some more trades. Castilo to the Mets seems possible as well as maybe Dotel, Gagne may be headed offsomewhere, other names may be traded include Scott Hatteberg, Kyle Lohse, Jon Garland, also maybe Adam Dunn, Jermaine Dye.

Rosenthal is now reporting the deal, saying that Matt Harrison is one of the two pitching prospects

Harrison is injured (got hurt over the weekend, I believe), so there was some talk that he would be removed from the deal and replaced by a different pitching prospect (not Jo Jo Reyes).

It appears Harrison (injured) was replaced in the deal by 2 pitching prospects (not yet named at this point).

So, it Teixeira and Mahay for Salty, Andrus, and 2 pitchers.

Edit: Harrison still included - will have one more physical before the trade is finalized.

The Braves got a heck of a player, and will have anice switch-hitting duo in the middle of their lineup. However, I like this trade from a Texas perspective as well, as Andrus is a very nice 18 year old advanced prospect in my mind, and Harrison (who checked out with a clean shoulder apparently) is a 21 year old that was a AA all-star and will contribute next year.

Salty is the wild card, as he now goes back to the area he played his college ball.

Cubs Recieve: Benoit or Wilson and Laird

Does every Cubs trade have to involve a catcher this year?

That probably comes from the Rangers moving Lofton and Teixeira. But, I think the Rangers are going to try Marlon Byrd in CF full time for now to see what they have there, and Salty will probably play mostly first base for right now (while also getting some time behind the dish).

Still, I'm sure the Rangers would be interested in Pie as a long term CF.

You can now see why the Brewers had to pay such a high price for Linebrink. The cost of help is through the roof, likely because theres so few good players available. definately a good deal for both teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived