Brewer Fanatic

30-man roster what you want

djoctagone

if and when opening day happens, it's been reported that rosters will be expanded to 29 to start the season. here are the players on the 40-man roster who have not been placed on optional assignment or designated for assignment.

it is unclear if/how the requisite stay for the 11 players already optioned will be handled with this new agreement. barring the addition of any non-roster invitees (or potential recall of an optioned player), this is what the opening day roster could look like with 29 players:

1. brett anderson

2. ray black

3. corbin burnes

4. alex claudio

5. josh hader

6. adrian houser

7. corey knebel (had yet to appear in a major league game due to injury)

8. eric lauer

9. josh lindblom

10. freddy peralta

11. david phelps

12. brent suter

13. devin williams

14. brandon woodruff

1. orlando arcia

2. ryan braun

3. lorenzo cain

4. ben gamel

5. avisail garcia

6. jedd gyorko

7. keston hiura

8. brock holt

9. omar narvarez

10. manny pina

11. justin smoak

12. eric sogard

13. tyrone taylor (had yet to appear in a major league game due to injury)

14. luis urias (had yet to appear in a major league game due to injury)

15. christian yelich

if and when opening day happens, it's been reported that rosters will be expanded to 29 to start the season. here are the players on the 40-man roster who have not been placed on optional assignment or designated for assignment.

it is unclear if/how the requisite stay for the 11 players already optioned will be handled with this new agreement. barring the addition of any non-roster invitees (or potential recall of an optioned player), this is what the opening day roster could look like with 29 players:

1. brett anderson

2. ray black

3. corbin burnes

4. alex claudio

5. josh hader

6. adrian houser

8. eric lauer

9. josh lindblom

10. freddy peralta

11. david phelps

12. brent suter

13. devin williams

14. brandon woodruff

1. orlando arcia

2. ryan braun

3. lorenzo cain

4. ben gamel

5. avisail garcia

6. jedd gyorko

7. keston hiura

8. brock holt

9. omar narvarez

10. manny pina

11. justin smoak

12. eric sogard

15. christian yelich

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

1. brett anderson

2. ray black

3. corbin burnes

4. alex claudio

5. josh hader

6. adrian houser

8. eric lauer

9. josh lindblom

10. freddy peralta

11. david phelps

12. brent suter

13. devin williams

14. brandon woodruff

1. orlando arcia

2. ryan braun

3. lorenzo cain

4. ben gamel

5. avisail garcia

6. jedd gyorko

7. keston hiura

8. brock holt

9. omar narvarez

10. manny pina

11. justin smoak

12. eric sogard

15. christian yelich

I would expect Morrison to take Taylor's spot (Taylor going to the DL). If games are slated to start in late May, it is possible that Knebel may start with the big club. That would all depend on what he can do in some sort of abbreviated Spring Training in May.

1. brett anderson

2. ray black

3. corbin burnes

4. alex claudio

5. josh hader

6. adrian houser

8. eric lauer

9. josh lindblom

10. freddy peralta

11. david phelps

12. brent suter

13. devin williams

14. brandon woodruff

1. orlando arcia

2. ryan braun

3. lorenzo cain

4. ben gamel

5. avisail garcia

6. jedd gyorko

7. keston hiura

8. brock holt

9. omar narvarez

10. manny pina

11. justin smoak

12. eric sogard

15. christian yelich

I would expect Morrison to take Taylor's spot (Taylor going to the DL). If games are slated to start in late May, it is possible that Knebel may start with the big club. That would all depend on what he can do in some sort of abbreviated Spring Training in May.

well, if you put corey knebel, luis urias, and tyrone taylor on ir to start the season, there's your 26-man lineup with 13 pitchers and 13 position players.

if/when knebel comes off of ir, you send either devin williams or corbin burnes down, whomever is doing worse.

well, if you put corey knebel, luis urias, and tyrone taylor on ir to start the season, there's your 26-man lineup with 13 pitchers and 13 position players.

if/when knebel comes off of ir, you send either devin williams or corbin burnes down, whomever is doing worse.

Just posted in a different thread: I wonder if any NRI pitchers have a chance. Devin Williams didn't have a good spring. Tyrone Taylor would seem inevitably AAA-bound once he's healthy. Eric Lauer was going to be out for a while. Urias was just coming back. Knebel could be out for a bit.

Add all that up and maybe a couple guys -- Morrison, Miller? -- have a chance. Jace Peterson had good ST numbers (which of course are only ST numbers, but still didn't hurt his stock in the organization's eyes). Grimm & Morin seem more like depth guys on-call at AAA.

Who knows? Stearns has also been prone to end-of-ST recent-release-FA signings.

Are they expanding rosters because of the need to play double headers?

If that’s the case I would think they would carry more pitchers than position players unless their is a cap on number of pitchers they can have up.

Also wonder if you could make roster moves between games of a double header? A lot of weird details to work out.

they're looking at expanding rosters to abbreviate exhibition play--which will be required to ramp pitchers back up to a "normal" pitch count.

a lot is dependent on when opening day is specified.

and yes, i agree that mlb may have to modify the rules for the 27th (or extra) man for scheduled doubleheaders.

Well, if they're planning on playing the amount of doubleheaders that is being talked about, I'm sure most teams will probably be almost forced to roll with a 6 man rotation. That's one additional spot right there. Teams theoretically could shuttle, but if they're talking 2 doubleheaders per week, a 6 man rotation just makes more sense.

• 2 months later...

reminder: here are the players that have not been placed on optional assignment as of the transactions freeze in march. it does not include players signed to a minor league contract who were in big league camp. it's unclear how their opt-out clauses were affected.

1. brett anderson

2. ray black

3. corbin burnes

4. alex claudio

5. josh hader

6. adrian houser

8. eric lauer

9. josh lindblom

10. freddy peralta

11. david phelps

12. brent suter

13. devin williams

14. brandon woodruff

1. orlando arcia

2. ryan braun

3. lorenzo cain

4. ben gamel

5. avisail garcia

6. jedd gyorko

7. keston hiura

8. brock holt

9. omar narvarez

10. manny pina

11. justin smoak

12. eric sogard

15. christian yelich

With a shortened "pre-season" and initial expanded rosters, I wonder if we would piggy-back starters?

depends on how spring training 2.0 goes. there is no longer a limit to the number of pitchers that a club may carry, but considering the new extra-inning rule allows for a pinch runner to take the spot at second base, the club may wish to keep a speedster over a pitcher as the 30th, 28th and 26th man.

That seems like a very niche reason to keep one player. Since the best starting 5 was pretty muddled in ST, I thought this might be a way to vet out the best 5.

Normally your 4th OF or utility IF is going to be fast enough to not need another person for the 1 or 2 times that might happen.

Healy has a salary of 1 million dollars. With no minor league baseball season this year, if he is healthy I assume he makes the roster. Same thing with Bobby Wahl, he last pitched in a MLB game in August of 2018, I don't think they really want him to go 2+ years without pitching if he is healthy.

Not sure what they do with Urias at this point. His hand injury would have had him ticketed for the minors and there are more than enough players for the middle infield, but like Wahl do they really want a young position player to go an entire season without playing.

Then the players on minor league deals like: Justin Grimm, Logan Morrison, and Shelby Miller. Those players will probably ask for their release if not on the team. Maybe not a big deal with 60 games, but in a 162 game season I figured all three would have seen time with Milwaukee.

• 4 weeks later...
It's roughly what I expected. In my head, I didn't get overly nitpicky as far as bullpen arms because the 15th and 16th pitchers might not pitch at all. When we cut to 28, I'm guessing guaranteed 1 pitcher and probably 2 pitcher will be the cuts. When it cuts to 26 we'll have to lose a position player. I personally was hoping they'd keep Keon for speed/D...he's such a good dude, would have loved to see him in the Brewers uniform again for a couple weeks.

i was also hoping for keon broxton as the 30th man . . . especially as a pinch runner on second base in extra innings.

it will be interesting how the brewers cut down to 28--especially if it coincides with the activation of a player from the covid-19 injured list (and his return to the 40-man roster). will they dfa a player on the 30-man roster, or dfa an optioned player?

Archived