Brewer Fanatic

Simulated 2020 Baseball Season (Various Links and EB’s MLB The Show Sim)

Eye Black
Community Moderator

The Athletic simulated the Brewers season (link below):

We simulated the 2020 Brewers season. Will it be another wild September?

It’s paywall content so I can’t copy and paste the article which is fun and goes through the entire season of ups and down, but the for those that want to know the final results I have included a spoiler below.

The Brewers went on a tear in September to take the first Wild Card spot. The Cardinals secured the second Wild Card spot (the Reds won the NL Central). The Brewers hosted the Cardinals for the Wild Card game on October 1st and lost 6-3 in a show down that featured Jack Flaherty versus Brandon Woodruff.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Athletic simulated the Brewers season (link below):

We simulated the 2020 Brewers season. Will it be another wild September?

It’s paywall content so I can’t copy and paste the article which is fun and goes through the entire season of ups and down, but the for those that want to know the final results I have included a spoiler below.

The Brewers went on a tear in September to take the first Wild Card spot. The Cardinals secured the second Wild Card spot (the Reds won the NL Central). The Brewers hosted the Cardinals for the Wild Card game on October 1st and lost 6-3 in a show down that featured Jack Flaherty versus Brandon Woodruff.

My response to that potential outcome would be...

...at least the Cubs missed the postseason again!!

Community Moderator

FanGraphs Ben Clemens is managing the Brewers via OOTP 21 this season which includes allowing readers to vote on various team related decisions. This should also be a fun follow. Here is a sample of the articles (and various team management polls) thus far...

We’re Managing the (Fake) Brewers! (March 27, 2020)

An OOTP Brewers Update: Virtual Trade Targets (April 1, 2020)

As a reminder, I am also linking all of these simulations in the original post to this thread.

Community Moderator

Game #8 - Brewers at Phillies - April 4, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Phillies 11, Brewers 1

Game Recap: Not much positive to say about this one and it was over almost immediately. The Brewers stranded a pair of runners in the top of the first inning and then the wheels feel off quickly. Before anyone had scored in the bottom of the 1st inning Justin Smoak fielded what should have been a fairly easy double play, but his throw to 2B was off the mark. The error loaded the bases and on the very next pitch Rhys Hoskins hit a grand slam to give the Phillies a 4-0 lead. The Phillies continued to hit Brett Anderson hard in the 2nd inning and he wasn’t able to finish the frame. Yelich had the lone RBI, but even after today’s game he is hitting just .241 through the first 8 games.

49736342303_8085b3d8a9_c_d.jpg

I love Brett Anderson's face! It LOOKS like he just gave up 5 earned runs in less than 2 innings! HAHA!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator

Game #9 - Brewers at Phillies - April 5, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Phillies 4, Brewers 3

Game Recap: This was probably the toughest loss of the season thus far, and it dropped the Brewers to 3-6 on the season. Phillies starter Vince Velasquez warmed up on the mound pregame, but had to exit before throwing a single pitch in the game after the trainer came out and checked on him. It seemed like a great opportunity for the Brewers to get a big lead early, but they squandered several scoring opportunities against the Phillies bullpen. It included scoring rallies in the first two innings that both ended in double plays, and in the 3rd inning the Brewers had the bases loaded with only one out when Avisaíl García popped out and Keston Hiura struck out (Hiura has been dreadful all around and is striking out at an alarming rate). Despite these troubles the Brewers built up a 3-1 lead before the Phillies began to chip away in the middle innings. Corbin Burnes came into the game in relief of Alex Claudio in the 6th inning with two outs already recorded and one runner on base. Burnes proceeded to give up a home run to the first batter faced, Deivy Grullon who quite honestly is a player I had never heard of before today. The Brewers head to Cincinnati in hopes of turning their fortunes around soon.

49741122142_b3580b2a20_c_d.jpg

Community Moderator

Game #10 - Brewers at Reds - April 6, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 4, Reds 1

Game Recap: Brewers improve to 4-6 on the season as the bats came alive in the first inning. Keston Hiura had his first truly outstanding game of the season which was much needed. Eric Lauer had a much more successful second start to the season despite not recording any strikeouts.

I’ll let the photos and video below tell the story of tonight’s game including the game log account of the 4 run first inning.

49744099218_49e7b6461c_c_d.jpg

49744125198_dfd9855193_c_d.jpg

49744628451_59fbebac95_c_d.jpg

Some of that video on the highlights is very choppy. Since I don't have a Playstation and have never tried the show, are those highlights and / or the game itself always choppy like that? Just wondering.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator
Some of that video on the highlights is very choppy. Since I don't have a Playstation and have never tried the show, are those highlights and / or the game itself always choppy like that? Just wondering.

The regular game isn’t choppy (i.e. the brief abrupt pauses) at all, but for whatever reason that is how the highlights come out.

Community Moderator

Game #11 - Brewers at Reds - April 7, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 10, Reds 3

Game Recap: With Christian Yelich getting his first day off the season the Brewers finished the series sweep of the Reds in Cincinnati. Facing Reds starter Trevor Bauer the Brewers bats got an early lead once again. Manny Piña led the Brewers charge including hitting two home runs and totaling 6 RBIs. Brandon Woodruff was inexplicably removed after 3.1 solid innings, but Brent Suter filled in providing long relief in the middle innings.

49747955756_645d3564a6_c_d.jpg

NL Central Standings

Cubs 9-2

Cardinals 8-3 (1 GB)

Reds 6-5 (3 GB)

Brewers 5-6 (4 GB)

Pirates 2-9 (7 GB)

Game #12 - Mets at Brewers - April 9, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 4, Mets 1

Game Recap: Brewers are riding a 3 game winning streak and back to .500 overall on the season now at 6-6. Starter Adrian Houser only lasted 4.2 innings pitched, but the bullpen filled in admirably following his exit. Christian Yelich hit the go ahead home run in the 6th inning, his second HR of the season.

One random thing I learned is the highlight package camera angles change every time you play it. I only uploaded one version (below), but found that interesting.

49754591678_f928ca6387_c_d.jpg

Game #13 - Mets at Brewers - April 10, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 6, Mets 2

Game Recap: The Brewers wore pinstripes for the first time this season, and rallied past the Mets for their 4th straight win after a rough start to the season. The Mets scored two runs in the 2nd inning after Brewers starter Brett Anderson hit two consecutive batters including Mets pitcher Steven Matz who was down 0-2. The HBPs were followed by a 2 RBI Amed Rosario base hit. The Brewers were led by the hot hitting Orlando Arcia (3-4, HR) and also got a home run from Ryan Braun (2-4, HR). Keston Hiura has also been heating up of late. Josh Hader recorded the save and has yet to give up an earned run this season.

49758743878_a3d8d2325b_c_d.jpg

I love the very first highlight on that video. Base hit to left field and . . . . Arcia just stands there and watches it go! LOL!

- - - - - - - - -

I love the very first highlight on that video. Base hit to left field and . . . . Arcia just stands there and watches it go! LOL!

I noticed that also. It gave me a Yuni B. flashback. Also, no Bernie in the chalet when Arcia homered (why would he be, I mean what are the odds:) ) Also, I think we needed a replay challenge on Pina being out at the plate - looked safe to me.

I'm commenting on simulated plays. Yeah, I miss baseball

Game #14 - Mets at Brewers - April 11, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Mets 3, Brewers 2

Game Recap: The Brewers let one slip away against Rick Porcello with deGrom on the horizon for Sunday afternoon. The Brewers left 13 runners on base and couldn’t come up with a clutch hit most of the night. The hardest hit ball for either team was a Keston Hiura base hit into right field that left the bat with a 107-mph exit velocity. Freddy Peralta lasted just 3.0 IP and gave up 6 hits and 3 runs. The short starts have become a hallmark of the Brewers rotation thus far. One silver lining is the bullpen combined to give up just 2 hits, 0 walks, and 0 runs over 6 innings pitched (Suter - 3.0 IP; Claudio - 1.0 IP; Knebel - 1.0 IP; Feyereisen - 1.0 IP).

49762155923_9d622497c1_c_d.jpg

Game #15 - Mets at Brewers - April 12, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 6, Mets 3

Game Recap: Brewers came out hitting Jacob deGrom right out of the gate on Eric Sogard’s ground rule double to right field followed by two more hits in the inning. Sogard finished the night 3-4 with a double and home run, and is now batting .380 on the season (19-for-50). Eric Lauer qualified for the win after going 5.0 IP, and improved to 2-1 on the season. Devin Williams (2.08 ERA) along with David Phelps and Josh Hader have been the Brewers best bullpen pieces so far this season and each pitched a scoreless inning in this one. Happy Easter!

49766862943_7b7ac52283_c_d.jpg

Game #16 - Phillies at Brewers - April 13, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 4, Phillies 3

Game Recap: Brewers improve to 4-1 on the home stand as Lorenzo Cain reached base in all four plate appearances (2-2, 2 BB) and came up with a clutch 2-run home run in the 5th inning with the Brewers trailing 3-0. Woodruff pitched decent with his lone big mistake to Bryce Harper. Josh Hader finished off the one run victory while recording his 6th save of the season.

At 9-7 the Brewers are in 3rd place in the NL Central two games back of the Cubs (11-5), and one game behind the Cardinals (10-6).

49771282283_a3040d9810_c_d.jpg

Game #17 - Phillies at Brewers - April 14, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 9, Phillies 4

I had to do a quick simulation tonight so no highlights, but another Brewers win. The Brewers are now 10-7 overall and just one game back of both the Cubs and Cardinals.

49774893668_34ace2e326_c_d.jpg

A few of the Brewers among the top ten statistical league leaders include:

Eric Sogard - 4th in BA (.364); Tied for 2nd in 2B (7), Tied for 8th in OPS (1.017)

Avisaíl Garcia - Tied for 2nd in 2B (7)

Justin Smoak - 3rd in BB (12); 1st in OBP (.475), Tied for 8th in OPS (1.017)

Josh Hader - Tied for 2nd in Saves (6)

Game #18 - Phillies at Brewers - April 15, 2020 - Jackie Robinson Day (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Phillies 4, Brewers 3 (10 innings)

The Brewers had a 3-2 lead as late as the 7th inning, but couldn’t hold on for the victory. Brett Anderson did have one of his better outings of the year lasting 6.0 IP and only being charged with two earned runs. Eric Sogard (1st inning) and Omar Narváez (6th inning) each hit home runs to lead the way for the Brewers offense. Keston Hiura struck out twice more tonight pushing his season strike out rate over 40%. Yelich is still struggling this season, batting just .271 through the first 18 games. Regardless, this is one the Brewers certainly could have won.

49778689903_2b696bee22_c_d.jpg

Game #19 - Phillies at Brewers - April 16, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 5, Phillies 2

The Brewers improved to 11-8 on the season fueled by a decent Freddy Peralta start (4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO) and a bottom of the order that combined to go 9-for-12 in Piña, Arcia, Urías).

49783356422_eeac8666ea_c_d.jpg

Archived