Brewer Fanatic

2020 Miscellaneous NFL News

homer
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gurley and Matthews released by the Rams.

I'm moderately shocked that Gurley wasn't traded. I guess that reinforces the disposable nature of RB's in this NFL environment, even ones that have scored 12+ TDs in three straight seasons...

And Matthews didn't last long in LA. He actually had a solid year for them, though again, injured for part of it.

If Matthews came back on the minimum, I’d take him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Looked at the Rams and was surprised to see Todd Gurley is only 25. He's got a lot of carries on his legs already though, and showed some decline this year. Not surprised at all that the Rams decided to move on. 5 years and 1500 touches is a bit of wear and tear. Most NFL running backs don't age gracefully.

I suppose I'm not surprised they moved on (especially considering the large roster bonus he was due if they kept him), but I'm a bit surprised that a team with cap room like the Dolphins wouldn't have traded a pick for him.

The Bears are in line to receive a 6th round compensatory pick for Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix. I know that’s how the system works, but it seems a more equitable way to award compensatory picks would be on players that teams drafted and/or developed (like Rookie FAs). Since that’s not how it works, I’m surprised more GMs don’t offer slightly more generous one year contracts to recently released FAs knowing they’d be in-line for a comp pick when the player signs elsewhere next year. The Patriots have done this for two decades.

Ebron did miss the last five games of last season, and historically hasn't been very durable - he's only played in 16 games in two of his six seasons. There is some injury/availability risk with him.

Graham played in all 16 games each of the last four seasons.

It just dawned on me that the Raiders just signed two of the top FAs at ILB: Littleton and Kwiatkoski. For a position that is generally devalued compared to other defensive positions, I find that pretty interesting. With all the big FA $$ signings and all the draft picks they have acquired, I'm not sure if they are simply crazy or crazy like a fox.

Bridgewater to the Panthers well almost. Also I don't see how the Panthers will be able to trade Newton at least for anything valuable.

I think the Panthers will just release him in a few weeks.

Hey I predicted something successfully. I am like genius now!

I fully expect Newton to sign with the Patriots and then become this uber god MVP QB and then some team signs him next year to a stupid mega contract looking at you Raiders. Then he falls apart and is worse than Tim Couch.

Bridgewater to the Panthers well almost. Also I don't see how the Panthers will be able to trade Newton at least for anything valuable.

I fully expect Newton to sign with the Patriots and then become this uber god MVP QB and then some team signs him next year to a stupid mega contract looking at you Raiders. Then he falls apart and is worse than Tim Couch.

* Netting the Patriots a 3rd round comp pick in the process.

* Netting the Patriots a 3rd round comp pick in the process.

** With the Patriot's 2020 6th round QB selection comes out of nowhere in 2021 and becomes an All-Pro.

I learned something new this offseason:

Teams who lose a UFA with 10+ years of experience are only eligible for a maximum 5th round compensatory pick. Hence, the Packers are only in-line to receive a 5th round compensatory pick for Bulaga when his new contract size would otherwise warrant a 4th rounder.

Archived