Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

I’m hoping for a half season at least. Although the way this is heading, no season seems as good of a bet as any.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m hoping for a half season at least. Although the way this is heading, no season seems as good of a bet as any.

Even a week ago I would have thought this to be virtually impossible, but now I agree that it's a valid possibility that can't be completely dismissed. Though we absolutely will know more in the next couple of weeks.

Even a week ago I would have thought this to be virtually impossible, but now I agree that it's a valid possibility that can't be completely dismissed. Though we absolutely will know more in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah it's insane. I was at the Bucks last home game. While this was all very much in the news, the idea of them not playing a week later is just crazy and I would have laughed at anyone who said it. It was probably spreading like wildfire in the US while everyone felt the same way I did. What it seems like some people are dismissing is that pretty much any delay beyond what we're hoping really puts everything in jeopardy. If Opening Day is pushed to July 8 you are getting really close to making that decision I would think.

As callous as this sounds, every life "saved" by measures of social isolation will still die at some point.

The last sentence is so odd I'm not even sure what to say. By that logic catastrophe is impossible because everyone dies.

3to just became 4to. and i am saddened by the reminder that someday, russell branyan will die.

Story on ESPN says that NBA owners are looking at mid to late June as the best possible scenario for a return.

NBA can probably ramp up a little faster than MLB pitchers can get ready. I would think that July and an 82 game season might be the best case scenario for MLB.

Assuming mid-June return for the NBA (hopefully), they almost certainly need to call the regular season finished and just start the playoffs, no?

I think they will play at least two weeks before beginning the playoffs to let teams get back into the flow of things again.

There is something to be said for the summer sunshine helping make things better. Not saying that it will eliminate a worldwide pandemic, but even during the Spanish Flu in 1918 scientists found that patients who received regular sunshine and fresh air recovered more quickly. It is Mother Nature’s way

Here’s hoping we have summer Baseball and can root on the Brewers!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

There is something to be said for the summer sunshine helping make things better. Not saying that it will eliminate a worldwide pandemic, but even during the Spanish Flu in 1918 scientists found that patients who received regular sunshine and fresh air recovered more quickly. It is Mother Nature’s way

Something tells me that air quality was quite different in 1918 than it is now...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Something tells me that air quality was quite different in 1918 than it is now...

The parallels to 1918 are just ridiculous and need to stop. The entire reason Bill Gates has been harping about the need for a pandemic response plan for 10 years is because of globalization and the ability of laymen to travel around the world in 14 hours. We can't glean anything about how a different strain is going to behave by looking at one from a time when wealthy people were driving Model Ts.

Much smarter professionals address the "summer will fix this" rationale here: https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covid-19-go-away-on-its-own-in-warmer-weather/

No matter if it is 1918 or 2020 going outside should be done by all and helps the immune system. Hopefully people are not just staying inside all day. One of the few benefits for me with this is going on more bike rides with the kids.

No matter if it is 1918 or 2020 going outside should be done by all and helps the immune system. Hopefully people are not just staying inside all day. One of the few benefits for me with this is going on more bike rides with the kids.

I mean I don't disagree. If for no other reason than mental health, I'll never try to say this isn't better than sitting in your house.

How in the world, even on a best case May scenario, would getting 162 games in be even remotely plausible? The MLB season is taxing enough without holding weekly doubleheaders and removing days off.

Yeah that's like impossible unless they are planning to move to warm climates and climate-controlled environments entirely and playing until Christmas.

There is a scientific reason for this.

Vitamin D-3 is the vitamin that your body makes when it is exposed to sunlight. Vitamin D-3 is also perhaps the most important vitamin when it comes to supporting your immune system. This is the primary reason why many more people get sick during the winter than during the summer - during the summer people are out in the sunlight, naturally boosting their vitamin D-3 levels. During the winter people are not getting sunlight, thus their vitamin D-3 levels drop and their immune system is weaker.

I've been taking a vitamin D-3 supplement during the winter for about 15 years. During that time I can count the number of colds I've had on one hand, and I cannot remember the last time I've gotten the flu (and I don't get a flu shot).

Vitamin C also has immune-support and anti-viral properties. When I do feel a viral infection coming on (cold or sinus infection), I take 1000iu of Vitamin C at least five times a day and it almost always goes away after 3 days without amounting to anything other than feeling sinus pain/pressure for a day or so, maybe a day of sneezing. Vitamin D-3 you don't want to binge on, you can get toxic levels of that - it's a maintenance vitamin that you should take daily, maybe 2x daily if you're fighting something off.

The White House today said that “things will get back to normal by July or August” but didn’t elaborate on exactly what that means.

The entire city of San Francisco just shut down for 3 weeks. Any thought of Baseball actually starting up again in 4-6 weeks seems very unlikely.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Two thoughts:

1) I think prolonged societal shutdowns are going to be difficult to maintain for more than about 4 weeks. The steps we are taking now should slow the rate of transmission. That slow down may not show up for another 2 weeks, but the math says all this should work. Then the question is whether or not we can maintain some less restrictive form of social distancing for the next 6-8 weeks.

2) The question then becomes about the end game. How much virus are we willing to live with? Are we only trying to flatten the curve, or are we waiting until the virus is nearly gone? Is MLB willing to play w/o spectators?

Basically, I just think the return of baseball depends on how much unknown spread we have already seen and how willing MLB is to play under weird circumstances. If MLB only wants to do full go, we are probably talking July. If it is okay with no fans at games, then earlier is possible.

This is all about the capacity of the healthcare system to handle the number of cases. The number of cases so far has been minimal compared to a normal flu season. For instance here in Illinois, so far the total cases has been 105 with zero deaths. That's not a lot in a state with 15 million residents. The infectious disease experts have models which show that if they can basically shut down society for the next two weeks, and keep the expected rise in cases from increasing at an uncontrolled exponential rate, that the other measures already in effect such as stopping travel from world hot spots, and people continuing to practice personal hygiene measures will prevent the curve of cases reaching levels beyond the healthcare system capacity. Once they are confident they have the capacity to handle the caseload, it would actually be beneficial down the road to ease up on the social restrictions. Quiet a few people will still get the virus as Trump hinted until July or August, but they will be able to treat the most vulnerable and not have to ration out care. Eventually the summer heat, and long days will make the virus less contagious, but by the time it happens a significant number of people will have had the virus, recovered and formed a significant population of those with immunity when the virus reappears next December or January.

Even as things start returning to normal for most people in 6-8 weeks, the most vulnerable will have to be isolated as much as possible, but if they do become infected they will not have to be denied care.

At some point we will pass a threshold where damage done by preventative measures outweighs their benefit to the general public. In fact, with some of these bans/restrictions already extended out several months I think we've gone past that threshold already.

2 months ago there were a couple hundred coronavirus cases in China - they've now been statistically stagnant in terms of new cases for more than 2 weeks. Europe, Italy in particular, appears to be in much worse straits with this than the US is. 2 months is far, far too long to go on with basically shutting the country down unless everyone is giddy for another great depression on a worldwide scale. There will surely be hot spots in the US where it hits harder than most and extending social distancing restrictions in those areas may be warranted, but a vast swath of the country will see minimal impact in terms of population well-being due to the virus. People will get the disease, but the death rate will resemble that of the flu. After another week, maybe two of this once the initial impact of how many cases spread stateside from travelers returning from Europe (a vast majority of the US cases have been traced back to people who were in Europe over the last 1-2 months), the country is going to collectively wake up one day and come to the realization that these measures likely limited the spread and were warranted - but they will be chomping at the bit to get them unwound ASAP so life can revert back to some sense of normality.

Basically, I just think the return of baseball depends on how much unknown spread we have already seen and how willing MLB is to play under weird circumstances. If MLB only wants to do full go, we are probably talking July. If it is okay with no fans at games, then earlier is possible.

For reference, MLB didn't shut down at all during WWII, when a good portion of their regular players joined the armed services (even if most weren't on front lines). There needs to be a season this year, even if the start of it begins with most games being played in Spring Training facilities or empty MLB ballparks. Teams just need to follow the Tampa Rays model of playing in front of social distancing-friendly home crowds. You can easily fit 10,000 fans in parks spaced way more than 6' apart!