Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

Reports are some Marlins players were out partying (having a night out) while they were in Atlanta for exhibition games.

Not a good look if that comes out to be true.

That's kind of what I was expecting to read after a few more days once it became apparent this wasn't a significant issue to more than one team at this point, even their opponent.

None of the onfield protocols, mask/no mask debate, or misguided pull quotes about how MLB players feel excess anxiety/fear due to COVID mean squat when people don't have the self-discipline and self-awareness to make better decisions that protect themselves on their own time.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports are some Marlins players were out partying (having a night out) while they were in Atlanta for exhibition games.

Not a good look if that comes out to be true.

Surprise surprise...

This applies not just to baseball but all businesses trying to reopen...you can make employees follow the rules when they are on the clock, but all bets are off when they are on their own time. And of course the business is the one that ends up suffering as a result.

Withholding judgement until I see more. The "players partied" storyline is convenient for MLB. That doesn't mean it isn't true, of course. It just means I need more than "MLB inside source" to take it is as truth. There IS incentive to make that the story from the league's perspective.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-lori-lightfoot-wisconsin-quarantine-20200729-xoetk4vc2vcmlfz5lewjmwy5ia-story.html

Professional baseball players exempted. Shame on Major League Baseball for risking Grandma's life!

Nice to know the government will be monitoring those Facebook accounts so they can issue tickets! I'm sure that's pretty likely to stop the flow of FIB's into and out of Wisconsin. At least now we know what the contact tracers are doing, I was under the impression that up until now they were basically doing nothing.

Contract tracing isn't worth much when 1) About 30% of the population won't engage in it, 2) Tests are taking 5-6 days to come back with results and 3) There are not nearly enough contact tracers to handle the number of positive results people are getting.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

[sarcasm]So the WS banner is going to come down to the last team playing?[/sarcasm]

Last team to have the discipline to stay away from the bars and clubs wins the World Series.

I heard Stearns is working on the new market inefficiency. Players that are anti-social/homebodies...

The constant thought in the back of my head that this gets axed this week, next week or at the end of September is really making it harder to invest as a fan. I've watched every game, but I'm questioning whether I want to invest in this at this point.

Perhaps not the best post to quote but somewhat on the topic I'm going. I've surprisingly found it hard to kind of 'get back into it' since this started up again. Maybe stemming from what you're saying or maybe just having gotten accustomed to not having my days somewhat centered around sporting events, idk.

For example, I listened to much of the Friday night game while driving and it was good to hear Bob. Bt then I got home and there was other baseball on, you'd think after no sports for 4 months I'd be into it. I ended up flipping between Chappelles show and Rambo 1 instead. And as this week has gone on I've been still a bit with the 'whatever' attitude to the games. Maybe because MKE has been kind of blah so far but I've not been easy to get into and bored with the games, messing around on my phone. I have a feeling NBA will get more back into sports again though. we'll see

Edited by tmwiese55

The constant thought in the back of my head that this gets axed this week, next week or at the end of September is really making it harder to invest as a fan. I've watched every game, but I'm questioning whether I want to invest in this at this point.

Perhaps not the best post to quote but somewhat on the topic I'm going. I've surprisingly found it hard to kind of 'get back into it' since this started up again. Perhaps stemming from what you're saying or maybe just having gotten accustomed to not having my days somewhat centered around sporting events, idk.

For example, I listened to much of the Friday night game while driving and it was good to hear Bob. Bt then I got home and there was other baseball on, you'd think after no sports for 4 months I'd be into it. I ended up flipping between Chappelles show and Rambo 1 instead. And as this week has gone on I've been still a bit with the 'whatever' attitude to the games. Maybe because MKE has been kind of blah so far but I've not been easy to get into and bored with the games, messing around on my phone. I have a feeling NBA will get move back into sports again though. we'll see

Same here. I watched about half of opening day and haven't watched any since. I guess I just got used to not watching it so I'm not really in the habit of turning it on. Not that I really have the time either.

I'm on board ever since the come from behind win in the 9th. Opening day was meh....oh yea Brewers play tonight. Whole Cubs series was like that for me. But I'm (mostly) back into it now. Sort of forcing myself to go all in, not letting Covid win.

The Phillies had to stop playing games for an entire week because they played the Marlins, and it appears none of their team personnel contracted COVID. I have no idea why the Cardinals were expressing confidence they were going travel to Detroit on Monday, and play the Tigers starting Tuesday when they had multiple actual confirmed cases.

Also, I know they aren’t going to make it this far anyway, but how would MLB be able to conduct an actual playoff bracket in this current reality? It would take months to complete with the likely team stoppages.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Phillies had to stop playing games for an entire week because they played the Marlins, and it appears none of their team personnel contracted COVID. I have no idea why the Cardinals were expressing confidence they were going travel to Detroit on Monday, and play the Tigers starting Tuesday when they had multiple actual confirmed cases.

Also, I know they aren’t going to make it this far anyway, but how would MLB be able to conduct an actual playoff bracket in this current reality? It would take months to complete with the likely team stoppages.

March Madness would take on an entirely new meaning

The MLB butchers just about everything it does. Doesn’t surprise me that they’re too inept to figure out how to keep players safer and actually have a season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.