Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

In the third link provided, the ages of the deaths are 23 and 20 and morbidly obese. It was news because they were siblings, but they weren't children.

I don't think there is any "seems like" as far as kids not reacting as severely to COVID19, they pretty obviously do not. In the 26k+ cases under age 18, 6k of which under under 5, in California, there are 0 (confirmed) deaths.

As far as where the breathless media coverage is, I'd say it's pretty much there. Youth deaths are individuals that get big headlines, which is "good." If that's the case it's still very rare.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator
In the third link provided, the ages of the deaths are 23 and 20 and morbidly obese. It was news because they were siblings, but they weren't children.

I don't think there is any "seems like" as far as kids not reacting as severely to COVID19, they pretty obviously do not. In the 26k+ cases under age 18, 6k of which under under 5, in California, there are 0 (confirmed) deaths.

As far as where the breathless media coverage is, I'd say it's pretty much there. Youth deaths are individuals that get big headlines, which is "good." If that's the case it's still very rare.

https://www.theonion.com/teen-who-died-from-coronavirus-probably-had-undiagnosed-1844325600

As COVID relates to kids, I'm a parent of 3 and 1 has had pneumonia before and one had a bad case of seasonal flu early this year. It's a scary thing because you know it "can" kill even though it usually doesn't and you love your kids so obviously you worry.

Keep in mind that the statistics that Snapper pointed out for California is only confirmed cases and obviously excludes those who were never symptomatic and tested.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID-19-Cases-by-Age-Group.aspx

So while I'd be concerned as a parent if my children were diagnosed with COVID-19, that is the same concern I'd have with any other ailment and I have yet to see any scientific or statistical evidence that it is any more dangerous to minors than any other ailment they can get.

Obviously there are tragic exceptions to every trend. And I certainly understand that the bigger concern is the spread that children these ages are likely to cause when put all together.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jordan Hicks, Cardinals closer, has opted out, citing a health condition. He has Type 1 diabetes.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"Brewers ace Brandon Woodruff had to remind himself during an extended outing the other day to retrieve his rosin bag behind the mound after each of his innings. Catchers have caught themselves throwing down to third base after a strikeout, and first baseman Logan Morrison has sometimes been unable to deny the habit of throwing the baseball around the infield after a groundout."

I'm honestly curious about the safety protocol involving throwing to third after a strikeout and around the horn on a ground out...what am I missing?

[sarcasm]Maybe everyone needs wipes to clean the ball each time they field it and before they throw it? Or everyone can just wear gloves on their throwing hand...[/sarcasm] ;)

This was tossed around in our athletics meeting to be able to have our high school contact days for baseball.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

The Mariners have improved the Brewers' cardboard cutout idea:

Introducing the launch of the Mariners Seat Fleet! For just $30, you can purchase a recycle-friendly version of yourself that will sit in on all of the game action at T-Mobile Park this season while you're safe at home. Plus, the Mariners will donate a portion of every purchase to non-profit organizations supporting COVID-related relief efforts in our communities. What's more? If your cutout "catches" a foul ball during a game, we'll mail you the baseball!

I'll put a full-body cutout of Attanasio in my patio window if he sends me $100.*

* = JosephC reserves the right to move/remove the Attanasio cut-out at his own sole discretion for any reason or no reason at any time without notice or liability to Attanasio.

The Mariners have improved the Brewers' cardboard cutout idea:

Introducing the launch of the Mariners Seat Fleet! For just $30, you can purchase a recycle-friendly version of yourself that will sit in on all of the game action at T-Mobile Park this season while you're safe at home. Plus, the Mariners will donate a portion of every purchase to non-profit organizations supporting COVID-related relief efforts in our communities. What's more? If your cutout "catches" a foul ball during a game, we'll mail you the baseball!

The whole idea went kaput for me as soon as the Guess Who comparison was made, and now I can't think of anything else when I see them.

No games in Toronto this year.

The Buffalo Blue Jays. :ohwell

I think it was fitting that the first real game of the season was shortened due to rain last night.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Community Moderator

From The Athletic: Reds’ loss to Tigers isn’t the only sobering reality on Day 2 of the season

From the article...

It was before then, before anyone stepped on the field, that reality struck. It was announced that Matt Davidson, who just a day before was talking about the emotion of making a big-league team again, was taken off the active roster because he tested positive for COVID-19.

Davidson, though, was in the dugout on Friday, among his teammates. He stood on the field for the national anthem then took two at-bats before being replaced for a pinch-hitter in the first game of the season. He did that while he was awaiting the results of yet another COVID-19 test, one that came back as positive.

This is the part that will continue to be problematic. With tests spaced out every other day there will be players that are COVID positive who are sharing planes, buses, dugouts, hotels, dining, and the field with fellow team members and staff. I hope for both the Reds and baseball’s sake this stays isolated to just Davidson, but at some point there will be teams that will likely have at least a mini-outbreak from this type of scenario.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Did we really have any stars opt out at all? Stars of today, not 5 years ago like Price and Posey. Understandably some guys chose to stay home but it's good to see that any concerns that all the big names were just going to sit this one out in 2020 and we'd have a watered down product turned out to be unfounded.

Did we really have any stars opt out at all? Stars of today, not 5 years ago like Price and Posey. Understandably some guys chose to stay home but it's good to see that any concerns that all the big names were just going to sit this one out in 2020 and we'd have a watered down product turned out to be unfounded.

In the end, it was about $, not safety and health.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS