Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

You don't know if they're going to be fine or not. Nobody does.

My post was in response to HiAndTight's suggestion that the impact on MLB will be minimal.

Every possibility for injury and illness that existed in 2019 exists this year, too. And less than a week into the spring training reboot, there have already been 8+ star players lost to the virus.

It could turn out fine, but to insist that it will is just wishful thinking.

I didn't say or suggest what the impact would be on MLB moving forward at all. I looked at the actual numbers of what it is right NOW and made a statement based on those numbers. There was no guessing or speculation or predicting the future. Just a statement based on the low number that has tested positive thus far.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't know if they're going to be fine or not. Nobody does.

My post was in response to HiAndTight's suggestion that the impact on MLB will be minimal.

Every possibility for injury and illness that existed in 2019 exists this year, too. And less than a week into the spring training reboot, there have already been 8+ star players lost to the virus.

It could turn out fine, but to insist that it will is just wishful thinking.

I didn't say or suggest what the impact would be on MLB moving forward at all. I looked at the actual numbers of what it is right NOW and made a statement based on those numbers. There was no guessing or speculation or predicting the future. Just a statement based on the low number that has tested positive thus far.

Got it.

And my response was to say that a low number of players is one thing, but even if the overall count is low, what matters is what happens with star players. A 7th reliever isn't the same as an MVP or Cy Young candidate. And some valuable players have been affected this week...not including Mike Trout, who remains noncommittal about playing this season.

So just a week into this, there are some key guys either with the virus, sitting out because of it, or not yet sure that they're all in on the season. That's what I was getting at.

Maybe I'm missing some games but I see Freddie Freeman and DJ LeMahieu as stars who have tested positive. All the other names I've seen are just mostly guys and that seems to be relatively in line with an expected ration. Not even sure what current relevance it has as all these guys are very likely to clear protocol by opening day.

Maybe I'm missing some games but I see Freddie Freeman and DJ LeMahieu as stars who have tested positive. All the other names I've seen are just mostly guys and that seems to be relatively in line with an expected ration. Not even sure what current relevance it has as all these guys are very likely to clear protocol by opening day.

Aaron Nola is a top of the rotation starter, Tommy Pham is a 20/20 outfielder who's good for 3+ WAR, Will Smith was the most coveted reliever in the offseason, Sal Perez is a 5-time Gold Glove franchise player, Miguel Sano hit 34 HR last year, David Price is a former Cy Young Award winner who was expected to be a mainstay in the rotation of one of the best teams in the game.

We can split hairs on whether these guys are worthy enough to join Lemahieu and Freeman in your eyes. But put them all together and you'd have a pretty good core around which to build a team.

Sports fans primarily root for the laundry of their favorite team as players come and go frequently (especially baseball). I don't think anyone is going to equate a 60 game season in the middle of a pandemic as being the same as a 162 game season in years past. This season is primarily as entertainment for people who have been sitting at home for months without several of the usual entertainment options. In that context, who really cares if the players who test positive are "stars" or not?

Angel Perdomo tested positive for COVID-19.

The diagnosis came back during intake testing. Perdomo is asymptomatic, but he's going to have to self-quarantine for the time being and will require two negative tests before joining his teammates. The 25-year-old southpaw was added to the 40-man roster during the offseason after putting up a 4.28 ERA and 107/46 K/BB ratio over 69 1/3 innings in Triple-A last year.

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Jul 6, 2020, 9:48 AM ET

Luis Urias has tested positive for COVID-19.

Urias' teammate left-hander Angel Perdomo has also tested positive. Brewers manager Craig Counsell made the announcement Monday morning with the players' consent. The good news is that both players aren't displaying symptoms, but they are in the protocol at this point. They'll need to have two negative tests before joining their teammates. Back in March, Urias was projected to miss the start of the season due to a fractured left hamate bone. He's had plenty of time to recover from that, so now the question is how quickly he can get back up to speed after his positive diagnosis.

Related: Angel Perdomo

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Jul 6, 2020, 8:56 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Aaron Nola (illness) has reported to Phillies' summer camp.

In fact, Matt Gelb of The Athletic reports that he's throwing a bullpen session. Nola was away from the team for the start of camp due to concerns over COVID-19. It's unclear whether he tested positive or came into contact who had it. Either way, he's been cleared to participate, which is a sigh of relief.

Source: Matt Breen on Twitter

Jul 6, 2020, 11:43 AM ET

Community Moderator
At this point I'm so desperate for baseball that they could play all minor leaguers and call it the "COVID Fun Tournament sponsored by Rob Manfred" and I would still watch it.

I would think that the biggest impact of the current COVID-19 positive players is that they'll lose this spring training time to ramp up for the regular season.

Serious question, is it likely that these guys are working out on their own while on quarantine? I would think if you're totally asymptomatic and feeling good as a professional ballplayer, you're not just going to be laying in bed for 2 weeks. But I would assume you would need your own designated workout room and equipment.

I would think that the biggest impact of the current COVID-19 positive players is that they'll lose this spring training time to ramp up for the regular season.

Agreed. It's smart that they keep them away from everyone else so they don't get more people sick, but anyone who is sick now and is not being hospitalized (which should be the case for most MLB-aged people) should easily be ready to go for opening day.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Joey Gallo confirmed Monday that he tested positive for COVID-19.

The good news is that Gallo is asymptomatic and feeling good. However, he needs to get two negative tests before joining the Rangers. His initial positive came on June 29 after a test two days earlier. A subsequent nasal test came back negative, but then a saliva test from July 2 came back positive yesterday. This is one of the frustrating parts of testing in general, but Gallo is forced to wait for the time being. If all goes well, there's still a chance he could be ready for the start of the season.

Source: Evan Grant on Twitter

Jul 6, 2020, 1:55 PM ET

The good news is that Gallo is asymptomatic and feeling good. However, he needs to get two negative tests before joining the Rangers. His initial positive came on June 29 after a test two days earlier. A subsequent nasal test came back negative, but then a saliva test from July 2 came back positive yesterday. This is one of the frustrating parts of testing in general, but Gallo is forced to wait for the time being. If all goes well, there's still a chance he could be ready for the start of the season.

Pretty sure this means asymptomatic Gallo is counting as 2 confirmed COVID 19 cases in TX or wherever he's currently living (Vegas??).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Michael Kopech opts out.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wonder when we'll get to the point where we start to question the validity of these tests. I find it hard to believe someone who has no symptoms, tests positive and then negative, actually has Covid.

I wonder when we'll get to the point where we start to question the validity of these tests. I find it hard to believe someone who has no symptoms, tests positive and then negative, actually has Covid.

Just seems like the vast majority of healthy young people react very differently to it. There's certainly COVID19 in kids but not sure I've even heard of a kid with symptoms, and I KNOW the media would love for that to happen to breathlessly report on it. Really a virus that attacks older people with severe health issues. Didn't mean for this to be political. Can't believe a few sentences about a virus can even be thought of as political these days haha. Sighhhh.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No one disputes the fact that there are false-positive results from time to time. That's why you quarantine and re-test.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just seems like the vast majority of healthy young people react very differently to it. There's certainly COVID19 in kids but not sure I've even heard of a kid with symptoms, and I KNOW the media would love for that to happen to breathlessly report on it.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article244164887.html

https://www.wyff4.com/article/first-child-dies-due-to-coronavirus-in-south-carolina-dhec-says/33284245#

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/lauderhill-family-loses-two-children-to-covid-19-days-apart/2260990/

While not nearly as common as older people, kids and young people have been dying as well (I'm presuming in the articles that don't specifically state symptoms that there's a reasonable assumption they had some before death).

10 opt outs so far.

While it's not over yet, I would expect the total now to be well under the 30 over/under given earlier in this thread. So far, the biggest names are Price and Posey, who, let's be honest, are much bigger names of 5 years ago then they are right now.

For the most part, these guys want to play. There will probably be a few more opt outs but I would guess only 11 days out the vast majority of the minds are made up by now.

Just seems like the vast majority of healthy young people react very differently to it. There's certainly COVID19 in kids but not sure I've even heard of a kid with symptoms, and I KNOW the media would love for that to happen to breathlessly report on it.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/first-child-dies-due-to-coronavirus-in-south-carolina-dhec-says/33284245#

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/lauderhill-family-loses-two-children-to-covid-19-days-apart/2260990/

While not nearly as common as older people, kids and young people have been dying as well (I'm presuming in the articles that don't specifically state symptoms that there's a reasonable assumption they had some before death).

I did qualify my statement with "healthy". The Miami story the kids have pretty severe cormidities. The other two links are silent on pre existing but I'd guess there were. They were also silent as to experiencing symptoms.

It's fairly well documented that the death rates are quite low (by comparison to older individuals) for younger people. The various identified risk factors though get to a pretty big percentage of the overall population though. Obesity/overweight by itself already gets you to 20% in teenagers for example. The various other factors push that quite a bit higher. It becomes a large number issue, the relative risk is lower, but when you start to get into the millions being infected you will still rack up a pretty unexciting body count.

Here is another one that was young enough she could have been a student of mine.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/07/st-paul-school-board-chairwoman-marny-xiong-31-dies-of-covid-19/

I did qualify my statement with "healthy". The Miami story the kids have pretty severe cormidities. The other two links are silent on pre existing but I'd guess there were. They were also silent as to experiencing symptoms.

You also said there would be breathless media coverage. Where is that?