Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

Community Moderator

Well, ya, that's what the owners have been saying all along. They've been pretty clear this whole time about why they are doing what they are doing.

And as a side effect they have created unprecedented unity in the players' union and have turned the vast majority of MLB fans against them.

I really doubt that. There are more players that are fringe roster guys who I'm sure would rather be playing and receiving something more than the couple hundred bucks a week they're getting now than there are guys at the top who are set financially whether there is a season or not. As for the fans, I'm sure whatever "side" everyone was on before all this hasn't really changed. More so probably, fans are blaming both sides for idiots.

The top social media post is as follows:

“I’m 100% confident there will be a season” -Rob Manfred

“Tell is when and where.” -MLBPA

“I’m not confident there will be a season in 2020.” -Rob Manfred

That's the message that the majority of baseball fans are seeing and believing. Yes, there's plenty of nuance to it, but I think BF.net tends to be more on the owners' side than the average baseball fan because the Brewers are punished by the current financial inequity in the sport and would benefit from some of the owners' proposals.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it comes out that Mark is one of the 8 owners against having a season, I will probably stop going to games.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If it comes out that Mark is one of the 8 owners against having a season, I will probably stop going to games.

How would such a thing come out?!

We all knew Mark was a greedy owner anyways, right up until that moment when he gave Yelich $200 million+ !

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

sure you will...

:rolleyes

Just like you stopped watching the NFL because of kneeling.... :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

sure you will...

:rolleyes

That is a true story. Haven't watched a single down since I made that commitment, it wasn't an empty threat.

Saying you will probably stop going to games is exactly that, an empty threat, and you know it.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator
Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

· 9m

Breaking: MLB and players union are closing in on an agreement to play the 2020 season, via players. Deal expected to be for prorated pay and include expanded playoffs.

Hope springs attorney???

Please be true, please be true

That is a true story. Haven't watched a single down since I made that commitment, it wasn't an empty threat.

Saying you will probably stop going to games is exactly that, an empty threat, and you know it.

Sure it is... :tongue :laughing

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sure it is... :tongue :laughing

We REALLY need baseball back soon to argue about on this board.

Community Moderator

Back on topic please, and we have this very good news to discuss:

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

·

1m

Source: MLB proposal includes:

•60 games in 70 days

•Season starting July 19th/20th

•Full Prorated Salary

•Expanded Playoffs in 2020 and 2021

•Waiving of any potential grievance

Well, good news... baseball is back!

Was hoping for DH in both leagues to get that started but I haven't seen that at all anywhere.

Players union says no agreement has been reached.

Seems like they are making progress at least.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
It seems like the compromise of full prorated salaries with more games in exchange for a grievance waiver should be enough to get a deal done. Although you never know with this group.

It seems like the compromise of full prorated salaries with more games in exchange for a grievance waiver should be enough to get a deal done. Although you never know with this group.

Owners are getting their expanded playoffs as well. I expect MLBPA will counter asking for 65-70 games.

I see it that the Owners liked their new proposal and have agreed to it.

LOL

Don't think the MLBPA will agree to the grievance waiver part of this IMO.

10 extra pro rated games is barely enough for the owners to give for 2 seasons of expanded playoffs.

Community Moderator
It sounds like the total money sent to the players is exactly the same as the previous MLB proposal. So one interpretation is that they have once again repackaged the same garbage. But just getting the two sides talking brings hope, and there is a path to a compromise if the sides are willing to move.

I really hope that the 16 team playoffs isn't permanent after '21. Totally cheapens the regular season when half the teams make the playoffs.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14