Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If some hardcore fans have checked out, what about the casual fans? The longer this drags out, the more people stop caring about baseball. It's going to be that much harder to get the fans back whenever they do start playing again. Personally, I have no interest in baseball without fans.

If some hardcore fans have checked out, what about the casual fans? The longer this drags out, the more people stop caring about baseball. It's going to be that much harder to get the fans back whenever they do start playing again. Personally, I have no interest in baseball without fans.

Some will check out. But I think most say that they will, but will quickly realize it's better than nothing. It's a bit like when my toddler storms off because he can't have dessert without eating dinner, but then 10 minutes later just eats the dinner. I have my opinions on the validity and how history will look at the 2020 season if it's 50 games long, but I know that once it's rolling I'll still pay some attention.

The 50 game season actually sounds fun to me, just to see how different it is. That's like 2 good weeks from the Orioles and they have a real chance to do something. Nobody will respect it like a normal season but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting.

Well I don't respect the 81 season for similar reasons. That year after the strike, they split the year into two halves which cost the Brewers the AL East title. The teams that were in the first prior to the strike had zero pressure on them during the 2nd half. Brewers managed to win the second half but they had the best overall record in the division but had to beat the Yankees who had two months to get their team ready for one series. I hated that season and still do because the plan devalued the Brewers first ever postseason appearance. It was a joke that teams 20 games under .500 in June suddenly were tied for first in August without playing a game in between. The NL was a joke. The Reds had the best record in NL West by 4 games and the Cardinals had the best record in the East, yet neither made the playoffs. Only Oakland was truly deserving to be in the final 4 that year.

Play as many games as possible to determine worthy teams.

I wouldn't say I don't care. But at this point I've accepted it as very real possibility and will not be overly upset or angry if it's the case. 3 months of no sports has more than prepped more for it and it won't be a big deal to me

The 50 game season actually sounds fun to me, just to see how different it is. That's like 2 good weeks from the Orioles and they have a real chance to do something. Nobody will respect it like a normal season but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting.

Well I don't respect the 81 season for similar reasons. That year after the strike, they split the year into two halves which cost the Brewers the AL East title. The teams that were in the first prior to the strike had zero pressure on them during the 2nd half. Brewers managed to win the second half but they had the best overall record in the division but had to beat the Yankees who had two months to get their team ready for one series. I hated that season and still do because the plan devalued the Brewers first ever postseason appearance. It was a joke that teams 20 games under .500 in June suddenly were tied for first in August without playing a game in between. The NL was a joke. The Reds had the best record in NL West by 4 games and the Cardinals had the best record in the East, yet neither made the playoffs. Only Oakland was truly deserving to be in the final 4 that year.

Play as many games as possible to determine worthy teams.

I don't respect it either. Just like I don't respect the dunk contest, but if my options are nothing and the dunk contest, I may still turn it on.

A lot of the people who say they won't pay attention to a shortened season, or don't care anymore will be the same people in the IGT threads on a daily basis, watch and see.

Since so many have lost interest and no longer care, I'm assuming that once the shortened season starts, they will no longer take the time to post on the page since they no longer care?

Yeah right...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I’ll be happy with 50 games. Doesn’t matter to me, I’ll just be thrilled to have Baseball back...

I like the Brewers chances of potential success in a shorter season... the way the Brewers utilize “out getters” and bullpenning, as well as platoon advantages on offense, could really work in the Brewers favor... although it might be tough for Counsell to get all 162 double switches in, in just 50 games...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

A lot of the people who say they won't pay attention to a shortened season, or don't care anymore will be the same people in the IGT threads on a daily basis, watch and see.

Since so many have lost interest and no longer care, I'm assuming that once the shortened season starts, they will no longer take the time to post on the page since they no longer care?

Yeah right...

In my opinion you're taking the opinions of some folks out of context a bit. Maybe some don't give a shortened season the legitimacy of a 162, but unless I'm wrong (and maybe I am, I haven't combed through every post), no one has said they simply won't pay attention to a shortened season.

All things being equal, I'd prefer baseball to no baseball this year, and I'd recognize a 50 game champ the same as any other. I'd still watch Brewer baseball this year, though it may not be such a priority that I dedicate 3 hours a night to it every night anymore.

But I think back in April, there was more of a deep national desire for baseball again, for the sake of normalcy if anything else. That window has passed, and I think in the meantime people have adjusted to life without it. So, if it happens, great, but it isn't going to devastate most fans the way it would have back in April if the season were to be cancelled entirely.

Then you throw in the labor issues which has definitely added a feeling of disgust to the mix on the fan's part, which is definitely understandable.

There is a chance I won't watch any baseball depending on the start date. I will still visit the site, watch box scores, look at Fangraphs, etc..but probably not watch any games. There is just a limited amount of time each week that I want to spend watching sports. Under normal circumstances, we all start with baseball in late March and by the time that September rolls around I just stick with it because I already have so much time invested in watching the team. But say if they start in August...if football starts in September I'd rather just not invest time in watching MLB and just wait for the football season to get underway. I'll spend August watching more film, going out and doing other activities, just seems like a better use of time rather than watch one month and bail on it when football starts. If they would have started on July 4...maybe having that extra month would make me feel differently about starting to watch and continuing to watch when football begins.

Yeah right...

This isnt the case at all. I have given up on this season and I do not care if they play or if they do not play. I am not saying that I would not care for baseball, I would watch and follow every game, but at this point, I have no expectation for a season and I do not care if they play or dont play.

I'm looking forward to any Brewers baseball and am also curious what baseball will be like with no crowd. It'll definitely be weird at first and i wonder how long it would take for that odd feeling to go away.

Regardless of the sport, the excitement of crowds, especially large crowds in important games is such a part of what makes sports fun to watch.

I'm looking forward to any Brewers baseball and am also curious what baseball will be like with no crowd. It'll definitely be weird at first and i wonder how long it would take for that odd feeling to go away.

Regardless of the sport, the excitement of crowds, especially large crowds in important games is such a part of what makes sports fun to watch.

Do you watch spring training games? It won't be much different. I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of watching a game with no fans present. Other than when there is a loud, obnoxious person near a microphone you don't even hear them.

Do you watch spring training games?

No

It won't be much different. I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of watching a game with no fans present. Other than when there is a loud, obnoxious person near a microphone you don't even hear them.

We clearly consume sports in a different way.

I wouldn't say I don't care. But at this point I've accepted it as very real possibility and will not be overly upset or angry if it's the case. 3 months of no sports has more than prepped more for it and it won't be a big deal to me

No sports for 3 months has already done enough damage to society as a whole. Sure if you're 25 years it's not such a big deal, but when you are a senior you cherish every healthy year you have left or if you have a terminal illness, every possible distraction from your suffering is meaningful and not having daily sports to watch/follow IS a BIG DEAL. Especially when the alternative is constant bombardment of turmoil in our streets. Athletes, owners, sports media, politicians. There's plenty of blame to go around. Sports has been a fabric of American society for generations and a unifying thread. But like most American institutions, it too seems to be under attack.

No sports for 3 months has already done enough damage to society as a whole. Sure if you're 25 years it's not such a big deal, but when you are a senior you cherish every healthy year you have left or if you have a terminal illness, every possible distraction from your suffering is meaningful and not having daily sports to watch/follow IS a BIG DEAL. Especially when the alternative is constant bombardment of turmoil in our streets. Athletes, owners, sports media, politicians. There's plenty of blame to go around. Sports has been a fabric of American society for generations and a unifying thread. But like most American institutions, it too seems to be under attack.

Well said, sir! Well said.

I certainly hope there’ll be be sports to watch as the season progresses. I remain optimistic about it.

So far 0.0003% of the United States population has died from Covid-19. I hope that number remains low!

Looking forward to watching Yelich and the Brew Crew again soon!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

MLB has given MLBPA until Sunday to accept their latest proposal.

Ownership total payouts to players still haven’t really changed since their first offer.

Offer #1 (82 games, sliding scale) ~$1.23B.

Offer #2 (76 games, 75% prorated) ~ $1.43B- contingent on playoffs

Offer #3 (72 games, 80% prorated) ~$1.43B.- contingent on playoffs

Potentially: (50 games, 100% prorated) ~ $1.23B.

The owners just keep repackaging the same stupid proposal, fully knowing it won't be accepted by the players!

Conversely The players just came down $630 million in their last counter offer.

I’d almost be more interested in a 50-game season if they just called it something else. I just really don’t want the first World Series title of my life, one I’ve dreaming of for a lifetime, to be a 1/3rd season and won in an empty stadium. It won’t feel right, I’ll feel robbed of the moment.

Just call it the 2020 MLB tournament...or something. I don’t care what. Acknowledge that this isn’t a true World Series season, play as many or few games as you want, have as many playoff teams as you want. We still want to play an MLB competition for some fun and enjoyment, but this won’t feel in any way like a true World Series championship, so just call it something else and let’s have some fun.

I am not Shea Vucinich

So would it feel like a legit season at 81 games?

72 games? Won’t “feel right”?

Where is your cutoff?

The year 2020 will have many asterisks looking back but it will be nothing if not memorable.

“Feeling Robbed of the Moment” is a good way to describe 2020 in general. Not getting to see your kid graduate or your parent die.

Don’t rob us of baseball.

Play Ball!

Ownership total payouts to players still haven’t really changed since their first offer.

The owners just keep repackaging the same stupid proposal, fully knowing it won't be accepted by the players!

It's almost like the owners have a very good idea what the actual revenue stream they will have to work with this year with no ticket/gate income and the real possibility of limited gameday revenues in future years, and the players dont.

It's almost like the owners have a very good idea what the actual revenue stream they will have to work with this year with no ticket/gate income and the real possibility of limited gameday revenues in future years, and the players dont.

If this is true, I'm sure the Owners would have zero issue with opening their books to share with the Players so a deal could get done in short order.

Oh wait...