Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

I meant how would playoffs work.

Playoffs will be expanded and I believe they will just do a seeding instead of NL and AL. For example they could take the top 9 teams and give the top 3 teams a bye (each division winners) and have the teams 4-9 play a 3-game series then 7 the rest of the way. That would put the world series sometime around November hence the reason to have a neutral site that is either a dome stadium or in a warm weather city. I fully expect the world series to be played in Miami this year.

I still don't get it, in that scenario there are six teams left in the second round.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if you do a scenario where the three division winners get byes you'd have to have 10 wild card teams and five first round series to narrow the field to eight. Otherwise you could just take the top 8 teams at the end of the season and go from there.

I meant how would playoffs work.

Playoffs will be expanded and I believe they will just do a seeding instead of NL and AL. For example they could take the top 9 teams and give the top 3 teams a bye (each division winners) and have the teams 4-9 play a 3-game series then 7 the rest of the way. That would put the world series sometime around November hence the reason to have a neutral site that is either a dome stadium or in a warm weather city. I fully expect the world series to be played in Miami this year.

I still don't get it, in that scenario there are six teams left in the second round.

Sorry brain not working but something like 10 or so teams make the playoffs. From what I have read they are looking around a 12 team playoff structure.

Starting the season later (August) would make it more likely that players would be willing to miss their families for a shorter time period. I think there is a spot that works for a season in Arizona and Florida.... but it would be more like 60 games instead of 162.

Sorry brain not working but something like 10 or so teams make the playoffs. From what I have read they are looking around a 12 team playoff structure.

If they're thinking possibly 12, I'd just bump it up to 13 so the three division winners can have the byes. I'd like to keep some sort of divisional race in tact and give the top teams something to compete for down the stretch. Otherwise there will be a handful of good teams with things wrapped up pretty early on. Regardless, the 13th spot should be a heck of a race! The past five years have ended with 4, 6, 7, 9, and 9 teams within 3 games of that 13th spot. And that doesn't even account for having fewer games, which will theoretically tighten the standings further, and teams that may have been out of reach otherwise still having something to compete for, so it could be a pretty wild finish to the regular season.

Also interesting to note, had the top 13 teams made it into the playoffs each of the past 5 years, only 1 of 65 teams would have sneaked in without a winning record.

If they're thinking possibly 12, I'd just bump it up to 13 so the three division winners can have the byes. I'd like to keep some sort of divisional race in tact and give the top teams something to compete for down the stretch. Otherwise there will be a handful of good teams with things wrapped up pretty early on. Regardless, the 13th spot should be a heck of a race! The past five years have ended with 4, 6, 7, 9, and 9 teams within 3 games of that 13th spot. And that doesn't even account for having fewer games, which will theoretically tighten the standings further, and teams that may have been out of reach otherwise still having something to compete for, so it could be a pretty wild finish to the regular season.

Also interesting to note, had the top 13 teams made it into the playoffs each of the past 5 years, only 1 of 65 teams would have sneaked in without a winning record.

I like this idea.

Was also thinking that the top 4 teams would get a bye and then set it up like the NCAA Tourney. 12 teams total and then having the two top seeds on different sides of the bracket.

So something like the first seed has the 12th and 10th seeded teams in its bracket. The second seed having the 11th and 9th seeds, third having 8th and 6th and finally the fourth seed having the 7th and 5th seed.

I think this would create some excitement for the playoffs. First set of games are 3-game series second set a 5-game series and the World Series being a 7-game series.

The division winners would get seeds 1-3 with the 4th seed being the team with the best record to not win a division.

Yes, and for good reason. The optics of these pro sports guys getting supplies before the regular Joes of the world would be bad. We already had people complaining that they were getting tested first because they’re rich.

When World War 2 broke out, Roosevelt ordered baseball to continue playing for the sole reason it provided those working long days in the war factories with a needed diversion. That saved lives and kept morale up while families across the nation worried about their sons and brothers.

We have a serious mental health crisis in this country because of these stay at home orders, that in the long run might be more devastating than the disease. There have already been cases of those on the front lines taking their own lives.

I wouldn't be the least offended if major sports used widely available tests, bought privately so they could resume or start playing and providing this country with a much needed diversion. I'm more offended by rich athletes who are in top physical condition being locked up in their 6,000 square feet mansions telling me to stay home in my 1,200 square foot ranch while they sit out the season. The PSA with NFL figures telling me it's going to be all right from their palatial palaces is deeply offensive. Easy for them to say when millions have lost jobs.

Yes, and for good reason. The optics of these pro sports guys getting supplies before the regular Joes of the world would be bad. We already had people complaining that they were getting tested first because they’re rich.

When World War 2 broke out, Roosevelt ordered baseball to continue playing for the sole reason it provided those working long days in the war factories with a needed diversion. That saved lives and kept morale up while families across the nation worried about their sons and brothers.

We have a serious mental health crisis in this country because of these stay at home orders, that in the long run might be more devastating than the disease. There have already been cases of those on the front lines taking their own lives.

I wouldn't be the least offended if major sports used widely available tests, bought privately so they could resume or start playing and providing this country with a much needed diversion. I'm more offended by rich athletes who are in top physical condition being locked up in their 6,000 square feet mansions telling me to stay home in my 1,200 square foot ranch while they sit out the season. The PSA with NFL figures telling me it's going to be all right from their palatial palaces is deeply offensive. Easy for them to say when millions have lost jobs.

This is a great post.

Same thing with celebrities and politicians who are preaching the same thing from their mansions.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Amen.

I don’t think the game of baseball is held in the same category as it was during WW2. WW2 also wasn’t a time you could catch a virus and die. So while I get the connection, I’m just not sure how much of one it is.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don’t think the game of baseball is held in the same category as it was during WW2. WW2 also wasn’t a time you could catch a virus and die. So while I get the connection, I’m just not sure how much of one it is.

Exactly.

This is also the internet age. People have a plethora of entertainment options only dreamed of during WW2.

Comparing WW2 to a pandemic?

Yea, totally the same situation.

:laughing

The pandemic is having a much greater actual affect on American Citizens and their "morale" than a War fought on foreign soil.

Additionally, more Americans have lost their lives in 3 months of the pandemic than in over 10 years of the Vietnam War.

Not to mention that a World War is an actually boost to the economy rather than a pandemic that has brought the US economy to it's knees.

Edited by A Swing and A Drive

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Three 10-team divisions. Shortened seasons. Expanded rosters. Developmental minor leagues. I don't care. At this point, bring me any kind of baseball. I'm here for it.

Look at how many people watched the NFL Draft last week. If the MLB finds a way to come back, in any form, in June, people are going to embrace it with open arms. I get that this is the internet age, and there are other entertainment options out there, but Netflix binging gets olds for most everyone at some point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29131481/dolphins-reveal-plans-host-fans-stadium

Here's an interesting article in which the Dolphins brass lays out a plan in which they could feasibly host 15K people and still maintain some semblance of social distancing. I think this is still a ways off, but it would be a way to get fans back in the seats. I don't think this happens this season, but getting plans for having people in buildings incrementally is probably better than just saying "ok, on this date, we're gonna cram 65K people back in again"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29131481/dolphins-reveal-plans-host-fans-stadium

Here's an interesting article in which the Dolphins brass lays out a plan in which they could feasibly host 15K people and still maintain some semblance of social distancing. I think this is still a ways off, but it would be a way to get fans back in the seats. I don't think this happens this season, but getting plans for having people in buildings incrementally is probably better than just saying "ok, on this date, we're gonna cram 65K people back in again"

~25% capacity in a stadium seems like a lot to start, even if they're theoretically trying to stay the required distance apart. Of course they're targeting September at the earliest vs. baseball in a couple of months. Does seem like "no fans" is unnecessary when they could easily fit a couple thousand and they could never be close to anyone else.

Wow, that escalated quickly!

I really hope it's true. Conflicting information. Keith Law says it isn't true. Jessica Kleinschmidt, & Bernie Pleskoff say they have heard the same thing as Plouffe

Well I am pretty sure that the World War 2 generation felt the effects of that 4 year (for the US) war much more then a virus that has been around a couple of months. Without writing an essay I will just add that we aren’t currently experiencing food rationing, gas shortages, rubber drives, victory gardens, and mass deployment of much of a generation overseas, not to mention the high casualty numbers.

Comparing WW2 to a pandemic?

Yea, totally the same situation.

:laughing

The pandemic is having a much greater actual affect on American Citizens and their "morale" than a War fought on foreign soil.

Additionally, more Americans have lost their lives in 3 months of the pandemic than in over 10 years of the Vietnam War.

Not to mention that a World War is an actually boost to the economy rather than a pandemic that has brought the US economy to it's knees.

It’s not happening. Not with New York and California still on lockdown. Canada too (Bleu Jays). Furthermore,a good chunk of ballpark staff are in the target demographic for getting the Rona.

If any state is still in lock down those teams would report to either Florida or Arizona to play their games or at least that was the proposed rumor on how they would handle that.