Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

Just read if MLB played without fans they’d look to cut the players salaries, so if that’s the case there won’t be baseball in 2020. Most players would probably rather not play and make nothing than establish a precedent where ownership cut their salaries.

I disagree... These guys aren't going to sit by and not get paid. If the opportunity arises for them to get paid less (but still ridiculous amounts of money to the ordinary person) they will do so. I can see future contracts being worded differently for sure, but no way these guys would rather not play, not make any money, than to play and get pro-rated cash.

They are itching to play.... especially many of those first through three year guys who want the big increase in pay too. They'll live in isolation for four months for the life changing money.

Also, if you are ready to get out, attend a party, go to a favorite restaurant, or see family/friends, you are not alone. Most, if not all, feel this way. For professional athletes, I would guess that keeping them indoors for long periods of time would make them feel all the things we feel times ten. They are constantly on the move during the season, whether that's travelling from city to city, hotel to hotel, restaurant to restaurant, or working out.

So.... far different lifestyles for them now, but still in the 1%. No one is feeling sorry for them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read if MLB played without fans they’d look to cut the players salaries, so if that’s the case there won’t be baseball in 2020. Most players would probably rather not play and make nothing than establish a precedent where ownership cut their salaries.

I disagree... These guys aren't going to sit by and not get paid. If the opportunity arises for them to get paid less (but still ridiculous amounts of money to the ordinary person) they will do so. I can see future contracts being worded differently for sure, but no way these guys would rather not play, not make any money, than to play and get pro-rated cash.

They are itching to play.... especially many of those first through three year guys who want the big increase in pay too. They'll live in isolation for four months for the life changing money.

Also, if you are ready to get out, attend a party, go to a favorite restaurant, or see family/friends, you are not alone. Most, if not all, feel this way. For professional athletes, I would guess that keeping them indoors for long periods of time would make them feel all the things we feel times ten. They are constantly on the move during the season, whether that's travelling from city to city, hotel to hotel, restaurant to restaurant, or working out.

So.... far different lifestyles for them now, but still in the 1%. No one is feeling sorry for them.

I wonder how this compares to their typical spring-training lifestyle or Arizona League lifestyle.

Honestly, maybe I am way off base here but I don't really understand why this even needs to be taking as long as it is, for MLB or any other sport. We already know that the games must be fan-less, at least up until the NFL season for sure. So beyond that, I know there are still logistics to sort out, but I don't know why they can't travel, live at home and follow the same social distancing guidelines as the millions of others that are going to work right now. These guys are not flying commercial coach, they can travel while maintaining social distance. The WWE for instance is operating without fans which is obviously very close contact. As long as there is medical monitoring of the athletes, access to fast testing and a plan in place for positive tests, it should be manageable without posing much additional risk to themselves or the public. Beyond ensuring that current individual state laws are followed regarding shelter in place, I don't see why these guys can't just play in their fan-less home stadiums and stay with their families. It's not like players are going to be congregating at the club right now.

If they are waiting for the time when it will be perfectly safe to resume, that time is not forthcoming this year or even next. There has to be some acceptance of inherent risk involved, or we might as well shut it all down at least through the end of 2021 and perhaps just forever discontinue professional sports as we know it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Availability of supplies is a big reason. Both silver and Manfred have stated they will not divert supplies for medical professionals until there is a sufficient Supply to treat health professionals and the public

There was an article on ESPN that said each soccer match would have 200 people. When you count the players the coaching staff the medical personnel the training staff the audio and video people the camera the referees and everyone else that is in the stadium. Security oh, everyone else that is in the stadium to make that match happen. We would have a similar amount of people in a stadium for a baseball or a football game. The amount of people isn't the problem it's the amount of testing they're still going to have to do. If you have 200 people times even 12 games. How many tests a week is each person going to take? The tests aren't there yet.

In an ideal scenario these guys could get tested once a week or twice a week or every day but the availability of the test is not there. And two Commissioners have said that it would be responsible if their leaves to divert resources. That could change in the coming weeks but until then I think we have to defer to the guys that say this is how it is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Availability of supplies is a big reason. Both silver and Manfred have stated they will not divert supplies for medical professionals until there is a sufficient Supply to treat health professionals and the public

There was an article on ESPN that said each soccer match would have 200 people. When you count the players the coaching staff the medical personnel the training staff the audio and video people the camera the referees and everyone else that is in the stadium. Security oh, everyone else that is in the stadium to make that match happen. We would have a similar amount of people in a stadium for a baseball or a football game. The amount of people isn't the problem it's the amount of testing they're still going to have to do. If you have 200 people times even 12 games. How many tests a week is each person going to take? The tests aren't there yet.

In an ideal scenario these guys could get tested once a week or twice a week or every day but the availability of the test is not there. And two Commissioners have said that it would be irresponsible of their leagues to divert resources. That could change in the coming weeks but until then I think we have to defer to the guys that say this is how it is.

Yes, and for good reason. The optics of these pro sports guys getting supplies before the regular Joes of the world would be bad. We already had people complaining that they were getting tested first because they’re rich.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just saw that some lawsuits have been filed because MLB teams are not refunding tickets because the games are just postponed. And they are looking for class action status.

It’s sad that it’s come to this rather than MLB just doing right by their fans. You would think they would care about their loyal customers who bought tickets early.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

With all the talk of Braun in the retired number thread it got me thinking that we might have seen the last of Ryan Braun at Miller Park and possibly a Brewer.

I had that same thought as well. Moreover, if they don't play at all in 2020, more probably true than not, the older veterans on one year deals with a club option (Sogard, Gyorko, Brett Anderson, Smoak), will have their options declined and never appear for the Brewers.

All this talk about how we need daily testing for 200 people at a stadium is silly. We have 1000 people or more at my work every single day since this has started and nobody has been tested or even sick.

I tend to agree with you, but then I think risk/reward. If the virus does enter that 1000 people space, it won't be 1 or 2 getting sick. The number is going to be much higher. Also, a small fraction of that number would probably die on top of it. It's a great debate for all of society now. When do the rewards of daily life eclipse the risk of getting very, very sick (or not getting sick and still passing it on to others who become very, very sick).

Buckle up fellas, it's what we've all been eagerly awaiting ....Korean baseball on ESPN

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/espn-korea-baseball-organization-broadcast-rights-deal.html

Do...do we root for the Samsung Lions because they signed Saladino, the Doosan Bears because that was Lindblom's team, or the NC Dinos because that was Thames' team? :ohwell

Yes, that was a little sarcastic. Yes, I will watch.

Apparently the plan is to play at home ballparks to start by July 2nd. Total of 100 games and there will be 3 divisions with 10 teams in each division and an expanded playoffs. The divisions will be regional and I am going to assume the DH will be here to stay after the year. Postseason will also be played at a neutral site not sure if that means just the world series or all of the playoffs.

Some other rumors that have been swirling around is that everything that is being considered this year DH, 3 divisions, automated strike zone and a few other things will be kept and put into the next CBA.

How in the world does 3 divisions work?

It is 10 teams per division and the divisions are set up by geographical location.

So an East Division, Central Division and a West Division.

East would be:

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Central would be:

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

West would be:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Houston Astros

Los Angeles Angels

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

There are two options on the table the first I went over previously allowing the teams to play in their stadiums with no fans at first and when possible fans would be let in but it would be more like a Marlins game and the stadium won't be filled probably would only be at 25% capacity probably less (I am just guessing on this part). The second option has also been floated around here in this thread.

The second option to recap is having the teams play in three states (Florida, Texas, and Arizona). The three states would represent the 3 divisions with 10 teams in each state. Also if a state doesn't come out of lock down for the first option the teams in the lock down state would either play in Arizona, Florida or Texas depending on what division they are in. For example if California doesn't come out of lock down when the season starts those teams would play in Arizona.

I think option 1 where the teams play in their home ballparks is what will be approved by the MLBPA as it removes partially the not being near family part that some of the players are using as a sticking point on saying no.

I think what is the most interesting thing is that MLB and MLBPA are both looking at keeping these in place even after the pandemic if that ever happens. The three divisions, the DH and the expanded playoffs are being considered along with keeping a neutral World Series site.

How in the world does 3 divisions work?

My guess would be the AL and NL Central would combine into one division. Likewise for the Easts and Wests. If it's a 100 game season, it could be 11 games vs 8 teams and 12 games vs the 9th. I wonder if they would stick to 3 and 4 game series or to reduce travel go with 5 and 6 game series so they only travel to each opposing city once.

I meant how would playoffs work.

Playoffs will be expanded and I believe they will just do a seeding instead of NL and AL. For example they could take the top 9 teams and give the top 3 teams a bye (each division winners) and have the teams 4-9 play a 3-game series then 7 the rest of the way. That would put the world series sometime around November hence the reason to have a neutral site that is either a dome stadium or in a warm weather city. I fully expect the world series to be played in Miami this year.