Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thought occured to me today. Bob Uecker is 86 years old, and has multiple underlying health issues that would make him susceptible to this type of virus. Is it possible that we've heard him call his last Brewer game?

I was thinking the same exact thing a couple weeks ago. What a crappy way to have to retire from the game.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This thought occured to me today. Bob Uecker is 86 years old, and has multiple underlying health issues that would make him susceptible to this type of virus. Is it possible that we've heard him call his last Brewer game?

…...jeez man....

To all, riddle me this: how often does Wisconsin celebrate the '81 team? Not nearly as often as the '82 team. I was tickled they finally put up a pennant to acknowledge the '81 team.

At least we made the playoffs. Didn't the Expos have the best record, but didn't win either half, so they didn't get squat.

If the league has a Cactus/Grapefruit League what happens to the minors? Aren't most of these stadiums normally used by each team's minor affiliates after spring training?

Not really. The rookie leagues don’t use them until mid-June. Teams could use the back Fields to allow minor leaguers to work out and practice. There’s no reason teams couldn’t have 15 to 30 minor leaguers also in quarantine

If the major sports are willing to play without fans, why don't they just make an arrangement with Abbott Labs to supply clubhouses with enough of their 15 minute test machines to test players, coaches, trainers and officials before every game? If not every game, then at least weekly?

The return of live sports is essential to the mental health of the nation.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If the major sports are willing to play without fans, why don't they just make an arrangement with Abbott Labs to supply clubhouses with enough of their 15 minute test machines to test players, coaches, trainers and officials before every game? If not every game, then at least weekly?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29036701/arizona-willing-host-all-30-mlb-teams-right-governor-says

"Only one decision, however, has been made with respect to the 2020 season: Major League Baseball will return to the field only when public health officials agree that it is appropriate to play and when we are convinced that our return to the field is safe for players, employees and fans,'' he wrote. "Moreover, we will never, in an effort to begin play, divert resources that are more appropriately devoted to public health initiatives and health care.''

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29036701/arizona-willing-host-all-30-mlb-teams-right-governor-says

"Only one decision, however, has been made with respect to the 2020 season: Major League Baseball will return to the field only when public health officials agree that it is appropriate to play and when we are convinced that our return to the field is safe for players, employees and fans,'' he wrote. "Moreover, we will never, in an effort to begin play, divert resources that are more appropriately devoted to public health initiatives and health care.''

Having some sports on the telly is in the best public health interests of our nation. ;)

Fauci more or less came out today and said they (all sports) can play again soon. It's not going to be 100% safe, but nothing will be 100% for a long time. It's just a matter of how many hoops they want to jump through to make it happen and putting contingencies in place.

And obviously, no fans. I'm expecting a full season, but completely empty stadium NFL season in 2020.

Fauci more or less came out today and said they (all sports) can play again soon. It's not going to be 100% safe, but nothing will be 100% for a long time. It's just a matter of how many hoops they want to jump through to make it happen and putting contingencies in place.

And obviously, no fans. I'm expecting a full season, but completely empty stadium NFL season in 2020.

Maybe, but it will depend upon if there is a proven treatment and/or vaccine in the coming months. With having no sports at all for most of the spring I have a feeling fans will welcome games again even if they cannot attend in person.

Maybe, but it will depend upon if there is a proven treatment and/or vaccine in the coming months. With having no sports at all for most of the spring I have a feeling fans will welcome games again even if they cannot attend in person.

I think it will depend more on the availability of fast and easy testing. We aren't going to have a vaccine anytime soon. At least, not one we know works. A treatment is more promising in the next 12 months, but there's probably not a perfect silver bullet treatment for this.

Community Moderator

The comments sound more like negotiation than flat out refusal. I think everyone knows they will have to figure out a way to play safely without fans, or have no season at all.

With all due respect to Kershaw and Trout, they've already made enough money in their respective lifetimes to retire comfortably if they never pick up a baseball again. Not everyone in the MLBPA is in that situation; and I'm sure for many of the young players with little or no service time, playing baseball is essential to paying bills.

So while I'm sure Kershaw and Trout certainly have the admiration of the player's union, they don't represent everyone within the union either with regard to their situation. Once checks start getting withheld, I imagine there's going to be growing pressure from the smaller fish to get the ball rolling when possible.

Furthermore, there simply isn't a plan that exists that is going to be perfect. Concerns are valid but hopefully they can address all major concerns in a feasible way because cancelling the entire season isn't a great alternative either.

Vaccine won't be around until next year, let's not ignore science and the 12-18 month cycle to even get a vaccine to the public

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The comments sound more like negotiation than flat out refusal. I think everyone knows they will have to figure out a way to play safely without fans, or have no season at all.
With all due respect to Kershaw and Trout, they've already made enough money in their respective lifetimes to retire comfortably if they never pick up a baseball again. Not everyone in the MLBPA is in that situation; and I'm sure for many of the young players with little or no service time, playing baseball is essential to paying bills.

Exactly, and exactly.

I think it will depend more on the availability of fast and easy testing. We aren't going to have a vaccine anytime soon. At least, not one we know works. A treatment is more promising in the next 12 months, but there's probably not a perfect silver bullet treatment for this.

And testing might not be the end all. Dr. Fauci said today that testing will give us a better idea of the extent of the infections but only for the time period of the test. You could be tested on Monday and be fine but then on Friday you're sick.

Just read if MLB played without fans they’d look to cut the players salaries, so if that’s the case there won’t be baseball in 2020. Most players would probably rather not play and make nothing than establish a precedent where ownership cut their salaries.

Just read if MLB played without fans they’d look to cut the players salaries, so if that’s the case there won’t be baseball in 2020. Most players would probably rather not play and make nothing than establish a precedent where ownership cut their salaries.

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/04/17/nba-and-nbpa-reach-agreement-salary-during-pandemic

I disagree... These guys aren't going to sit by and not get paid. If the opportunity arises for them to get paid less (but still ridiculous amounts of money to the ordinary person) they will do so. I can see future contracts being worded differently for sure, but no way these guys would rather not play, not make any money, than to play and get pro-rated cash.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS