Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

Seems like a lot of players dont view this as logistically feasible.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29017716/too-much-iron-players-say-mlb-arizona-plan

That article makes my point from earlier. The idea isn't that they are going to play like this for 4 months or that they are going to be doing this while the rest of the world is shut down. That is what most of these complaints were about. The country is going to be opened up in May most likely in a limited capacity, this will be part of that opening up. Assuming this is the path they go with once MLB tells the players the parameters of how this would likely work, none of the complaints in this article are complaints anymore.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That is assuming that everything opens up. There's absolutely no guarantee that everything opens up and then stays open. That can be the goal but there's no guarantee. You're talking about 1000 to 2,000 people being in close proximity in a virtual quarantine for 4 months. It's nice to say that it may only be a few weeks. It may be a month it may be 2 months it maybe four months. There's absolutely no way to put anything close to a definitive timeline.

If you want to ignore that there are players that are skeptical that this is going to work, that's fine but there are very clearly players that are skeptical that this is going to work.

I can completely understand why in the middle of a pandemic there is it least some percentage of guys who's first concern is being with their families and getting through this thing rather than getting back to playing baseball.

I’m ready for them to cancel the season so I can stop hearing their latest stupid concept every single day. At some point the season is so radical it wouldn’t even feel like actually winning the World Series. I’d need to put a giant asterisk by it. It would just feel wrong.

I’m ready for them to cancel the season so I can stop hearing their latest stupid concept every single day. At some point the season is so radical it wouldn’t even feel like actually winning the World Series. I’d need to put a giant asterisk by it. It would just feel wrong.

Yeah, that’s an interesting point here as well. If a season somehow does get played, I legitimately hope the Brewers do not win the World Series. I know some will find that ridiculous and I certainly understand that, but I wouldn’t want the first and possibly only World Series we win in my lifetime to have an asterisk by it. It wouldn’t feel right, and I would feel robbed of the emotion of a “true” championship. If we had already won one, I would feel differently.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah I've said this before and I'll mention it again. Everything they're pointing at makes this feel like it's going to be an exhibition season and all the Hoops they are jumping through don't make me feel like all of this is worth a glorified exhibition season. I know people want baseball. I want baseball. More than a lot of things. But if it's going to result in something that doesn't even count then all this just doesn't really seem worth it.

If we win the World Series this year I am unapologetically celebrating it. It's still 9 players on each side playing baseball against each other. Every team has the same limitations and obstacles this year, no one is at an advantage or disadvantage. It's different, but it's not illegitimate.

I’d definitely be happy, but to finally win a World Series only for it to be like that would almost suck. No one would ever get to experience a game the entire season from the sounds of it and we’d be hoisting a trophy in an empty stadium. Not to mention the wacky realignment and everything else. I suppose it is a little better if by the end of it fans can be there, but best case sounds like a neutral site postseason? Again, somewhat lame.

If you said I could have a championship this season or wait another 20 years...I think I’d opt for waiting 20 years. Part of why it would be so rewarding is beating the likes of our division rivals we play every year, 162 game marathon, postseason excitement, fans packing Miller Park for a World Series etc.

There’s no guarantee we’ll get another contention window as good as the one we’re in the middle of for the next 20 or however many years. I’d much rather win it in a real season, but if my choices are this year or never, that’s an easy one.

Yeah I've said this before and I'll mention it again. Everything they're pointing at makes this feel like it's going to be an exhibition season and all the Hoops they are jumping through don't make me feel like all of this is worth a glorified exhibition season. I know people want baseball. I want baseball. More than a lot of things. But if it's going to result in something that doesn't even count then all this just doesn't really seem worth it.

I understand this perspective if all sorts of weird rules get implemented, but if it just ends up being an 80-game season?

I mean, at a certain point, it's all arbitrary, isn't it? Why 162 games? Why not 139? Or 115? Or 100 even?

I guess I just sort of believe baseball is always random to some extent, and we're always emotionally invested in a kind of coin toss, especially when the postseason comes around, and, for me, that makes a shortened season not all that much different (different, yes, but not fundamentally so) from anything else. I'm bummed about the loss of two weeks of games to keep me company, of course, but that's a "small potatoes" thing given where all this is.

For me, it's just, I love having baseball to follow every day, and if the Brewers play 80 games and lose 45, I'll still feel good on the 35 days with W's.

If they win the whole thing, I'll feel like the wait was worth it, and my emotional response will be as high as it would be in any other season.

Do you guys understand that if there is a season, with all big league players and the Brewers happen to win the World Series, that it doesnt preclude them from winning another one at some other point in time in the near future. Baseball will be played. Someone will be crowned champion. It isnt like the All-Star game location where once you hold it at your park you have to wait 20-30 years to get it again. For goodness sakes, it would totally count. You mean to tell me that the Brewers win this Cactus "Nortwest Dvision" and beat the Dodgers in the Championship Series and then the Yankees in the World Series you will seriously not want that to happen? Get a grip.

^this

Winning a World Series like the one being proposed is far better than losing it...

I don't understand the negative feelings.

Time to accept the fact that this season, no matter how it is played, isn't going to be your normal baseball season. It's going to be different, in many ways, either roll with it and enjoy baseball again, or don't, it's your decision, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

I'll be tickled as soon as the season gets underway, regardless of what the season, rules, leagues, etc. looks like.

PLAY BALL!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I truly hope some season happens, and I hope that I am 100% as invested in it all as much as any other season, including the possibility of winning a World Series. I just have a hard time believing that I will.

For better or worse, this season/World Series would just be...different. I guess I would rather win this than none at all, but no matter how much I’d try to justify it, it just wouldn’t be the same as a “regular” championship. I’m not trying to ruin it for anyone else, you don’t have to care what I think and shouldn’t, it’s just my own perception. And I’ll enjoy it as best I can, but for me it will be very difficult to just choose to ignore the fact that I’m attending no games, I’m watching games in empty spring training stadiums, etc. Yes baseball is baseball and 154 or 162 games is arbitrary, this title will be earned like any other, but this season would still be different than every other, and like it or not the championship will be too.

On top of that, it’s always been a dream of mine to be at a Brewers World Series game. The idea of that happening in Arizona in an empty stadium, again, just wouldn’t be right. In the end, there’s a lot of mental gymnastics to go through - at least for me - to rationalize this being the same as any other season/title. And for me, that means that in reality, it’s just not. But I’m happy for those that feel differently, I hope I will too if the time comes.

I am not Shea Vucinich

1981. Dodgers win the World Series over the Yankees. Brewers played 109 games. The rest of the teams were around that number but it wasn't an equal amount. The season was split into two halves. The team with the best record in the NL, St Louis, did not make the playoffs because they didn't win either "half" There is no asterisk by the Dodgers for that World Series. This would not be unprecedented, it has happened before. I get that we all want it the usual way but I don't think it lessens the final result.

To all, riddle me this: how often does Wisconsin celebrate the '81 team? Not nearly as often as the '82 team. I was tickled they finally put up a pennant to acknowledge the '81 team.

The '82 team went to the World Series. The '81 team did not even make the ALCS. Big, big difference. I don't think the shortened season has anything to do with '81 being less heralded than '82. I think if the '81 team had lost a 7 game World Series you would hear plenty about them.

There will be some sort of baseball this year, but hard telling what that will be.

Why? Because of the financial ramifications. The players are getting some sort of stipend but nowhere near their contract pay. In most instances I’d imagine the players would be up for any sort of season that makes sense. Especially any player on an expiring or one year contract as their future compensation would be radically effected.

Likewise, revenue for the teams has all but dried up. No ticket revenue, no beer/refreshment revenue. I’m not sure how TV rights work, but I’d surmise that with no product to broadcast, the local and national television deals are not paying the teams/league. Not to mention the draft coming up and having to fork we more operating cash as bonus money to draft picks. The owners are likely highly motivated to play some sort of season.

Finally, with no real competition there is an opportunity for the league to grow its brand if they can get their product up and running and back on the airwaves.

I’d be alright with the Cactus/Grapefruit League concept. It’s probably the most logical once the stay at home orders are lifted it will still be sometime before large 25,000+ people gatherings are allowed, however the players would all be able to travel and I’d imagine they all had lodging in Florida and Arizona anyways so there wouldn’t be any real impetus to them Starting up without fans

If the league has a Cactus/Grapefruit League what happens to the minors? Aren't most of these stadiums normally used by each team's minor affiliates after spring training?

Are minor leagues even playing in this concept?

It is irrelevant though, each team has countless fields they could play on, not like there will be fans. Attendance is basically zero at those rookie leagues anyway...sometimes free to go watch anyway.

Minor league seasons can't go on as is. The majors are talking about strictly separating themselves from society (not the word quarantine, like many say.... quarantines happen when one is sick already) so that they presumably can freely play without worry of infection of the virus. Without this step of strict separation from the rest of society, the minors seasons won't happen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

Good article about the reality of trying to play pro sports at this time.

The timing of when sports restart is not up to Rob Manfred, Roger Goodell, Adam Silver, the owners, anyone. It will be determined by the virus and the progress made toward treatment and/or a vaccine, and that alone.

I am not Shea Vucinich

With how reliant they are on gate / on-site revenue, I could also see many MiLB teams potentially folding or needing some kind of bailout to stay afloat. They're not going to have means to set up isolated leagues. Maybe MLB does something at the end of the year at the spring training sites to get some grasp on their prospects.

With how reliant they are on gate / on-site revenue, I could also see many MiLB teams potentially folding or needing some kind of bailout to stay afloat. They're not going to have means to set up isolated leagues. Maybe MLB does something at the end of the year at the spring training sites to get some grasp on their prospects.

I'm not so sure. The major league clubs already own a fair number of minor league clubs. Additionally, MLB clubs provide the players and pay the players.

If the minor league season doesn't happen, those teams not already owned by the majors will avoid the labor costs and expenses involved in putting the games on. I would assume all their employees are temporary or seasonal workers anyways without benefits, etc. There could be rent issues that crop up between those clubs and the stadium owner if different, but typically those rental agreements would have a force majeure clause to protect both sides, and possibly even force majeure insurance.

The real question is what would happen to the players in the system who are not rostered, could the MLB teams bring their entire organization to Arizona and/or Florida and work them out, or would some organizational players just take a year off.