Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

I always thought this was a much longer term perspective, but I don't think 9-inning baseball is forever anyway. The games are just too long for how people want to watch things these days. That problem is only going to be worse for baseball in 30 years. I'm not suggesting it would replace the games in 2021 but it seems like a great opportunity for a trial run if they want to cram in a whole bunch of games.

I would personally really like 7-inning games and potential MLB games that are 2-2.5 hours regularly. I'd watch a lot more baseball. I realize that would be incredibly polarizing but way, way down the road I've thought for a while that's where they will end up anyway.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any reason for neutral sites in November, that would be incredibly dumb and shortsighted. What city would even be an issue? The Twins would be the only one that could create some really cold baseball temps and even snow. Milwaukee is indoors, Chicago would have workable temps in all likelihood, and the NE is fairly mild for November. Colorado is fairly mild for November too I do believe. Snow would be very unlikely to be an issue anywhere.

Just leave it as is. Odds are half the teams or more are in the south anyway.

Have you ever been in Chicago in November? With the wind blowing it's COLD. Colorado gets in the 20's at night in November. Daytime average is in the mid 40's. Snow is always possible in November in Denver. Conditions would more likely than not, be near brutal.

I don't see any reason for neutral sites in November, that would be incredibly dumb and shortsighted. What city would even be an issue? The Twins would be the only one that could create some really cold baseball temps and even snow. Milwaukee is indoors, Chicago would have workable temps in all likelihood, and the NE is fairly mild for November. Colorado is fairly mild for November too I do believe. Snow would be very unlikely to be an issue anywhere.

Just leave it as is. Odds are half the teams or more are in the south anyway.

Have you ever been in Chicago in November? With the wind blowing it's COLD. Colorado gets in the 20's at night in November. Daytime average is in the mid 40's. Snow is always possible in November in Denver. Conditions would more likely than not, be near brutal.

It could be done, the players would be fine, but the fans would be miserable. People watch football in much worse, but I basically agree that it would not be enjoyable and not very baseball-y. I agree thought that the effect may be overstated. A bunch of teams are either still warm in November or indoors.

It could be done, the players would be fine, but the fans would be miserable. People watch football in much worse, but I basically agree that it would not be enjoyable and not very baseball-y. I agree thought that the effect may be overstated. A bunch of teams are either still warm in November or indoors.

I always thought this was a much longer term perspective, but I don't think 9-inning baseball is forever anyway. The games are just too long for how people want to watch things these days. That problem is only going to be worse for baseball in 30 years. I'm not suggesting it would replace the games in 2021 but it seems like a great opportunity for a trial run if they want to cram in a whole bunch of games.

I would personally really like 7-inning games and potential MLB games that are 2-2.5 hours regularly. I'd watch a lot more baseball. I realize that would be incredibly polarizing but way, way down the road I've thought for a while that's where they will end up anyway.

I think 7 is probably a little too dramatic, but I think going to 8 would be perfect. All this garbage they've been trying to do with pace of play that hasn't worked and they could just go to 8 inning games and shorten games and reduce wear and tear all in one fell swoop and just leave everything else as is.

I understand it's going to have dramatic effects on future records, but so what. So did going to 162 games. We moved on. You can't dictate all your future changes in the interest of protecting the record books.

I would also have no problem with just calling a game a tie after 10 innings (except in the postseason, obviously), which I'm sure would be equally controversial.

I think 7 is probably a little too dramatic, but I think going to 8 would be perfect. All this garbage they've been trying to do with pace of play that hasn't worked and they could just go to 8 inning games and shorten games and reduce wear and tear all in one fell swoop and just leave everything else as is.

I understand it's going to have dramatic effects on future records, but so what. So did going to 162 games. We moved on. You can't dictate all your future changes in the interest of protecting the record books.

I would also have no problem with just calling a game a tie after 10 innings (except in the postseason, obviously), which I'm sure would be equally controversial.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think you could maybe do home playoff games in November if you committed to day games. Night games? It would probably be below 40 if it got closer to the end of the month.

Boston, New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Colorado, Minnesota, Pittsburgh would all be pretty chilly most likely.

Out of those the teams in New York, Chicago, Minnesota, and maybe Cleveland have playoff aspirations.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think you could maybe do home playoff games in November if you committed to day games. Night games? It would probably be below 40 if it got closer to the end of the month.

Boston, New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Colorado, Minnesota, Pittsburgh would all be pretty chilly most likely.

Out of those the teams in New York, Chicago, Minnesota, and maybe Cleveland have playoff aspirations.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's only a matter of time before there is an esports (what a horrible name) tournament with major leaguers simulating the season.

It's very likely that I will be buying the new version of Out of the Park Baseball. If people are interested, I could set up a season sim and just sim one game on the same date as the actual game was to be played and post the results on this board.

I'm like most people, I just don't see any meaningful baseball happening over the next three months.

I like this idea and have been thinking something similar, lets setup a separate thread for simulated baseball results of the 2020 season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

It's only a matter of time before there is an esports (what a horrible name) tournament with major leaguers simulating the season.

It's very likely that I will be buying the new version of Out of the Park Baseball. If people are interested, I could set up a season sim and just sim one game on the same date as the actual game was to be played and post the results on this board.

I'm like most people, I just don't see any meaningful baseball happening over the next three months.

I like this idea and have been thinking something similar, lets setup a separate thread for simulated baseball results of the 2020 season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

We are talking about Colorado and November like the Rockies have something more than a sliver of a chance of making it to the World Series.

Haha I forgot they are kind of irrelevant these days. Point is I think the slight risk of poor conditions (cold) is much worth it over neutral sites. Something 100% assured to be embarrassing for the league. The attendance alone would be sad and the lack of fans for each team would be even more embarrassing.

If you want to showcase how no one likes baseball and/or is boring then neutral sites is a great idea. The Cardinals had a hard time fully selling out HOME games last year in the NLDS and they have an almighty great fanbase. How is Miami going to sell out a fraction of their stadium for two teams no one cares about down there? $5 tickets?

I just have a hard time seeing that and to be honest I don’t want to.

We are talking about Colorado and November like the Rockies have something more than a sliver of a chance of making it to the World Series.

Haha I forgot they are kind of irrelevant these days. Point is I think the slight risk of poor conditions (cold) is much worth it over neutral sites. Something 100% assured to be embarrassing for the league. The attendance alone would be sad and the lack of fans for each team would be even more embarrassing.

If you want to showcase how no one likes baseball and/or is boring then neutral sites is a great idea. The Cardinals had a hard time fully selling out HOME games last year in the NLDS and they have an almighty great fanbase. How is Miami going to sell out a fraction of their stadium for two teams no one cares about down there? $5 tickets?

I just have a hard time seeing that and to be honest I don’t want to.

I would think that the prevailing thought that covid 19 might fade out for a bit and then resurface late next year that they wouldn't want to try to rely on baseball later into the season next year. I would keep the season the normal length and I would just start the season whenever it starts, don't worry about trying to balance the schedule . The season is already going to be heavily flawed, don't worry about one team getting screwed over more than another.

I would think that the prevailing thought that covid 19 might fade out for a bit and then resurface late next year that they wouldn't want to try to rely on baseball later into the season next year. I would keep the season the normal length and I would just start the season whenever it starts, don't worry about trying to balance the schedule . The season is already going to be heavily flawed, don't worry about one team getting screwed over more than another.

Highly unlikely that any baseball will be played in 2020.

Be realistic.

90% it is played, 10% it isn't. We have seen how other countries have gone through this. The numbers have leveled out in Iran, they are leveling out in Italy. The earliest counties of NY, Washington St and California to get the virus are all on the decline. This is something that seems to pass in a matter of a few months and not longer given proper procedures. Something would have to really change to not have baseball played by the end of the all star break at this point. The process here is trying to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed, containment doesn't seem to be a big issue assuming you treat this virus with the respect it deserves. The bigger question is whether we will get to full crowds or not. We very well may be playing baseball in August with stadiums at 25% or 50% capacity for crowds. Large crowds are going to be a scary thing for quite some time. Small outbreaks can be tracked and isolated but big crowds can't be controlled.

Be realistic.

90% it is played, 10% it isn't. We have seen how other countries have gone through this. The numbers have leveled out in Iran, they are leveling out in Italy. The earliest counties of NY, Washington St and California to get the virus are all on the decline. This is something that seems to pass in a matter of a few months and not longer given proper procedures. Something would have to really change to not have baseball played by the end of the all star break at this point. The process here is trying to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed, containment doesn't seem to be a big issue assuming you treat this virus with the respect it deserves. The bigger question is whether we will get to full crowds or not. We very well may be playing baseball in August with stadiums at 25% or 50% capacity for crowds. Large crowds are going to be a scary thing for quite some time. Small outbreaks can be tracked and isolated but big crowds can't be controlled.

Be realistic.

I think that's unlikely. People simply will get exhausted of living like this. I actually have the opposite worry. The government jumps the gun a bit, and people rush right back out to everything. I think that even if the government extended the harshest warnings, you would see people bending the rules more the longer it went out. People eventually do get tired of living in fear. I expect some trepidation in some areas, like with air travel, but I think people will really want to get back to normal.

Of course, the economics of it all would also influence attendance.

Be realistic.

I think that's unlikely. People simply will get exhausted of living like this. I actually have the opposite worry. The government jumps the gun a bit, and people rush right back out to everything. I think that even if the government extended the harshest warnings, you would see people bending the rules more the longer it went out. People eventually do get tired of living in fear. I expect some trepidation in some areas, like with air travel, but I think people will really want to get back to normal.

Of course, the economics of it all would also influence attendance.