Brewer Fanatic

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

owbc

I would love to see an mlb game with no fans. Keep the camera focused on the players and their interactions instead of all the shots of fans between pitches. Audio is where the game would suffer. I don't think a 420 ft moonshot in the 8th will have the same weight without the roar of the crowd (or the sudden groan/silence). Hearing the players audio would make it very interesting. How much yelling comes from the dugouts, chatter between the plate and mound, etc.

The WWE is going on without fans right now. Some bits are still entertaining despite the lack of a crowd. Other bits are painful and embarrassing. Golf, Nascar, and the NFL would be the sports with little difference of no fans.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see MLB fans on webex or zoom sessions

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Shelter-in-place until April 24th. Assuming another month spring training, we are probably looking at absolute best case scenario where nothing else possibly goes wrong of starting baseball by June 1st. And I honestly don't see that coming even close to happening. I think we are looking at a very realistic scenario where a 60 Game season might be the best we can get

It's only a matter of time before there is an esports (what a horrible name) tournament with major leaguers simulating the season.

It's very likely that I will be buying the new version of Out of the Park Baseball. If people are interested, I could set up a season sim and just sim one game on the same date as the actual game was to be played and post the results on this board.

I'm like most people, I just don't see any meaningful baseball happening over the next three months.

Scott Boras Plan:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scott-boras-pitches-162-game-123039356.html

Basically calls for a neutral site postseason. I am not entirely sure if MLB would go for something like this, I just have a hard time seeing them go with a neutral site postseason. THAT being said it does buy another month of time to get going. Outside of maybe Colorado snow won't be a huge concern in November. Temps may be chilly at times, but not much different from April. Again, I don't see it...but it isn't totally crazy.

The Brewers making the World Series and then having it in Miami or some place where the vast majority of lifelong ticketholders can't go would be the lamest thing imaginable. I'm probably in the minority but doing that paired with 60-game season or something would be the biggest asterisk possible for me. I'd rather win it normally and get busted with dugout cameras lol.

Article on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28951069/mlb-union-weighing-variables-related-potential-restart-season

Some interesting quotes:

Multiple players told ESPN they are willing to play a significant number of doubleheaders -- as many as two a week -- to make up for lost games and try to get as close to a full 162-game schedule as possible.

While the sides have discussed myriad options for a potential season, both agree that if necessary, regular-season games could stretch into October and playoff games could be played at neutral sites in November, either in warm-weather cities or, if government officials allow indoor events, domed stadiums, according to sources.

I don't see any reason for neutral sites in November, that would be incredibly dumb and shortsighted. What city would even be an issue? The Twins would be the only one that could create some really cold baseball temps and even snow. Milwaukee is indoors, Chicago would have workable temps in all likelihood, and the NE is fairly mild for November. Colorado is fairly mild for November too I do believe. Snow would be very unlikely to be an issue anywhere.

Just leave it as is. Odds are half the teams or more are in the south anyway.

In November 2018 there was one snowstorm that dumped 6.4 inches in New York City. Chicago got 12.7 inches of snow in November of 2018. They likely see snow as being a risk in the northern markets that they care about, and don't want to have to mess with the schedule due to cancellations.

There is also the chance that a Yankee's starter might hurt himself because he couldn't properly get loose in 40 degree weather, which as we all know, could very well bring an end to the entire baseball universe.

It could also prove to be a crowning achievement for MLB. If games were moved to Miami, for the first time in a long time people might actually go to the stadium to watch a baseball game.

In November 2018 there was one snowstorm that dumped 6.4 inches in New York City. Chicago got 12.7 inches of snow in November of 2018. They likely see snow as being a risk in the northern markets that they care about, and don't want to have to mess with the schedule due to cancellations.

There is also the chance that a Yankee's starter might hurt himself because he couldn't properly get loose in 40 degree weather, which as we all know, could very well bring an end to the entire baseball universe.

It could also prove to be a crowning achievement for MLB. If games were moved to Miami, for the first time in a long time people might actually go to the stadium to watch a baseball game.

Neutral site postseason games would not be an achievement...it would be an embarrassment.

Chicago average November snowfall: 1.2 inches

New York City average November snowfall: .12 inches

This is suppose to scare off games even though Denver sees an average of 2.37 inches in October. If the world would keeps spinning for October baseball for Denver in a normal year I think we can figure this out.

Neutral site postseason games would not be an achievement...it would be an embarrassment.

Chicago average November snowfall: 1.2 inches

New York City average November snowfall: .12 inches

This is suppose to scare off games even though Denver sees an average of 2.37 inches in October. If the world would keeps spinning for October baseball for Denver in a normal year I think we can figure this out.

If they really want to cram games in, I'd love to see 7-inning games. They're too long as it is and it's the best excuse to possible to see how it goes.

Yes! Turn all day games into double headers. Start every currently scheduled day game 1 hour earlier, shorten it to 7 innings, then immediately play another 7 inning game right after it.

If they really want to cram games in, I'd love to see 7-inning games. They're too long as it is and it's the best excuse to possible to see how it goes.

Yes! Turn all day games into double headers. Start every currently scheduled day game 1 hour earlier, shorten it to 7 innings, then immediately play another 7 inning game right after it.

Community Moderator

Love it. I think they will need rules to keep extra innings short. Start extra innings with the bases loaded or something exciting like that.

Community Moderator

Love it. I think they will need rules to keep extra innings short. Start extra innings with the bases loaded or something exciting like that.

I'm not a huge fan of 7-inning games generally, though having them as part of DHers is interesting. I think they do that quite a bit in small college baseball? And since you're playing back-to-back and doing it regularly, you might not be increasing innings pitched by lights out relievers (and thus decreasing balls in play) by that much.

I think my take is this: If double-headers (say one a week) get you to 130 games, I'm okay with just normal baseball rules. 130 games is close enough where I don't think you need to be messing around too much. Fewer than that, and I think it starts to get to a point where you either just play it straight (120 games under normal scheduling procedures) or try to get closer to the number of innings than the number of games.

We talk a lot about rest, but maybe the idea I'm most interested in is the one about like two DHers a week. Expand rosters and let's just gorge on baseball. Forget guys sitting around all day. Let's play two! If the union is up for it (and the increased injury risk it almost certainly creates), then I'm all for it. Would be fun, and baseball is supposed to be fun.

I'm not a huge fan of 7-inning games generally, though having them as part of DHers is interesting. I think they do that quite a bit in small college baseball? And since you're playing back-to-back and doing it regularly, you might not be increasing innings pitched by lights out relievers (and thus decreasing balls in play) by that much.

I think my take is this: If double-headers (say one a week) get you to 130 games, I'm okay with just normal baseball rules. 130 games is close enough where I don't think you need to be messing around too much. Fewer than that, and I think it starts to get to a point where you either just play it straight (120 games under normal scheduling procedures) or try to get closer to the number of innings than the number of games.

We talk a lot about rest, but maybe the idea I'm most interested in is the one about like two DHers a week. Expand rosters and let's just gorge on baseball. Forget guys sitting around all day. Let's play two! If the union is up for it (and the increased injury risk it almost certainly creates), then I'm all for it. Would be fun, and baseball is supposed to be fun.

I always thought this was a much longer term perspective, but I don't think 9-inning baseball is forever anyway. The games are just too long for how people want to watch things these days. That problem is only going to be worse for baseball in 30 years. I'm not suggesting it would replace the games in 2021 but it seems like a great opportunity for a trial run if they want to cram in a whole bunch of games.

I would personally really like 7-inning games and potential MLB games that are 2-2.5 hours regularly. I'd watch a lot more baseball. I realize that would be incredibly polarizing but way, way down the road I've thought for a while that's where they will end up anyway.