Brewer Fanatic

Yankees SP need

Seen on MLBTR the yankees are searching for SP options. Seeing the potential log jam here I wonder on maybe a Brett Anderson or Lindblom to offer up. Ask for #10 rank Luis Medina in return. I think I was told theres a trading restriction on signed players though? Like a certain amount of time had to pass? If so then do you offer up Lauer? I'd look for a higher or more in return then.

Whoops sorry I thought I was in Rumors. Can this be moved there?

I'm not saying the Yankees couldn't make a move for one of our guys ... but it is super funny to think about how 'bad' our starting rotation is according to all of the media and our own fan base, and then to think the Yankees would be coming to us for help.

Also, of all clubs I don't think the Yankees would be giving up their #10 prospect for a short term rental like this when Cashner, Vargas, etc are still available and could fill in for a few weeks and cost them nothing but money.

I don't think I see a fit.

Cashner is a RP moving forward. I think the Yankees are in need of a SP for more than just a few weeks.

Looks to me they are in to Luxury tax threshold maybe even beyond grade. 1.

Anderson 4mil

Lindblom 3+mil

Lauer Pre-Arb

Prices that wouldnt be crazy. Maybe keep them from grade 3 luxury? If they arent there now.

I didnt delve in deep in to their prospects for what value one might put on Anderson or Lindblom #10 seemed at least promising to intrigue Stearns to make a trade before season began.

If Peralta and Houser are used as starting pitchers, the "log jam" consists of putting Burnes and Lauer in AAA to start the season. That puts them about eight deep for starters if you include Suter who will be in the MLB pen. That's about what a team should expect to need to get through a normal MLB season, and it gives us some insurance if one of our "question marks" doesn't perform.

If you trade someone, then you are dependent on everyone to pitch well, and any injuries could mean that guys like Zack Brown or Supak may need to be counted on even if they aren't ready. You should always listen to offers, but I wouldn't be in any rush to trade away starting pitching at this point.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think it’s odd how people actually want to explore trading away our starting pitching. After what we saw last year during the first 6 weeks, I’m surprised that people want to deplete the talent we do have. Anderson is only on a 1 year deal and certainly isn’t a lock to stay healthy all year. Why would we explore moving an arm with 4+ years of control for a stopgap arm?

The only reliable options we currently have are Woodruff, Lauer, and Anderson to an extent. You know what you’re getting with Woodruff and Lauer, who both have potential to continue developing. Houser, Lindblom, Peralta, Burnes, and Shelby Miller are all basically wild cards up to this point. Houser is where Burnes and Peralta were last year to start the season. Anderson is an injury risk. Burnes has all the tools, but is a wild card at this point. We may have some intriguing options with guys that might be pretty good, but there’s always underperformers every season. Trading away our depth certainly isn’t going to help.

I think it’s odd how people actually want to explore trading away our starting pitching. After what we saw last year during the first 6 weeks, I’m surprised that people want to deplete the talent we do have. Anderson is only on a 1 year deal and certainly isn’t a lock to stay healthy all year. Why would we explore moving an arm with 4+ years of control for a stopgap arm?

The only reliable options we currently have are Woodruff, Lauer, and Anderson to an extent. You know what you’re getting with Woodruff and Lauer, who both have potential to continue developing. Houser, Lindblom, Peralta, Burnes, and Shelby Miller are all basically wild cards up to this point. Houser is where Burnes and Peralta were last year to start the season. Anderson is an injury risk. Burnes has all the tools, but is a wild card at this point. We may have some intriguing options with guys that might be pretty good, but there’s always underperformers every season. Trading away our depth certainly isn’t going to help.

By people you refer to me. I lead off with Anderson because from the tone, we'll be lucky to get 20Starts from him. Anderson isnt a ToR arm. When he was signed, Lindblom, Peralta, Burnes werent pushing Anderson for Starts. Now arguably they are. His loss wouldnt likely affect the team. Getting something with control has to be viewed a win.

Lindblom became next since he's 3yr control, older and complete unknown what he'll give for a season.

Lauer the 4yrs controlled guy[not 5?) Has been strictly a SP. I mentioned Id expect more in return for him. Any trade to the Yankees should come out on the winning side. They have the need. Just from that prospective, it warrants consideration. The player Medina I called for sounds like a future Kneble out of the bullpen. If were looking 2yrs from now, Kneble will likely be gone. So in steps in this kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to wonder if Chris Archer would be a decent fit for the Yankees? He hasn't been that good the last 1.5 years in Pittsburgh, but any East Coast writer would immediately tell you that he is AL East proven which makes him better than 75% of the starting pitching in MLB. Maybe he just isn't motivated by playing for a C-team like Pittsburgh in a B-division like the NL Central?

Yankees get:

RHP-Chris Archer

Pirates get:

RHP-Alexander Vizcaino

2B-Ezequiel Duran

RHP-Nick Nelson

Have to wonder if Chris Archer would be a decent fit for the Yankees? He hasn't been that good the last 1.5 years in Pittsburgh, but any East Coast writer would immediately tell you that he is AL East proven which makes him better than 75% of the starting pitching in MLB. Maybe he just isn't motivated by playing for a C-team like Pittsburgh in a B-division like the NL Central?

Yankees get:

RHP-Chris Archer

Pirates get:

RHP-Alexander Vizcaino

2B-Ezequiel Duran

RHP-Nick Nelson

I can't see the Pirates even thinking about it unless they are trying to dump Archer outright. Nelson strikes out a lot of people, but he walks almost 5 per 9 IPs too. 4.05 ERA and 1.3 WHIP average in the minors. He really struggled at AAA. Certainly not the lead piece in the deal. Vizcaino just reached high A and has stunk at every level he's pitched at. He hasn't had an ERA under 4.35 at any level. Duran is just starting out and looks promising, but is 4-5 years away. Archer hasn't been all that great with the Pirates, but your package would amount to a salary dump. If the Yankees are desperate I'd push for Andujar and Nelson/Duran if I was the Pirates' GM.

• 3 months later...
One tidbit i'll add, it's probably less important to preserve SP depth with 30 man rosters and a 60 game schedule. Also there is no minor leagues to send Burnes or Lauer or any other guy with options. And it's not as long and grueling of a season where you pretty much need to count on 9 guys starting games minimum. I know it eventually gets trimmed, but if we trade away Anderson for example and a starter gets hurt 2 weeks later...we can still trade our prospects for a starter at that point. I think the main point is, it would have to be the right deal. No sense in trading him just for salary relief. Luis Medina is certainly worth it, heck we probably don't need quite as substantial of a return for it to be worth Anderson.

Archived