Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Payroll 2020 and beyond

Major league dues are the Mlbpa dues

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's interesting to me is they're paid biweekly and not monthly, loo

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm glad he maxes out his 401K :)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

40-Man Roster Control (via minimum/arb/options):

2027 - Yelich

2026 - Peralta

2025 - Hiura, Wahl, Ray, Supak, Taylor, Ray, Perdomo

2024 - Woodruff, Houser, Urias, Lauer, Burnes, Nottingham, Frietas

2023 - Hader

2022 - Cain, Narvaez, Arcia, Gamel, Suter, Lindblom, Healy

2021 - Garcia, Knebel, Pina, Braun, Phelps, Holt, Smoak, Sogard, Gyorko

Only player on our roster that we don't have at least partial control of after this year is Anderson.

With the Peralta extension, I'd guess that Stearns is also approaching some others, notably Hiura and Urias, and possibly guys like Burnes and Narvaez. As long as he can maintain a solid core, he can build around that core. Extending good players while they're young helps keep your core intact.

Stearns showed this off-season that you can turn over a good portion of your roster in one off-season. Some of these replacements (Narvaez, Urias, Lauer) are longer-term pieces who could be "core" guys going forward, while others are 1- or 2-year commitments to fill in holes until longer-term pieces can be found.

If Urias can get on base like he did in the minors, he, Yelich, and Hiura should be a strong top of the order for a long time. My one concern is that we don't have a strong farm. We need to be able to keep quite a few pre-arby guys on the roster to keep payroll down so we can afford some expensive contracts. Even if these are only bullpen arms and bench guys, paying some of your 26 guys $550k really brings the average price-per-player down.

The only reason to hand out a pre-arbitration extension is for cost certainty or to pay more money up front to get an option on a 7th or 8th year of control. Under that scenario why would anyone give Urias an extension? There are legitimate questions if he will generate enough offense to be a major league regular. I get all the minor league numbers but here's a list of other Padres farmhands who had better OPS numbers on the same teams as Urias, and none of these players has broken through offensively in the majors either:Travis Jankowski, Allen Craig, Ty France, Estaban Quiroz, Austin Allen, Franmil Reyes and the list goes on.

I agree the potential is there to be more than just another middle infielder that can't hit, but then he suffered a fractured hamate bone. So not only are their questions about his game, the Brewers literally haven't seen him play for them yet, AND the number of players who never regain their hitting ability following a hamate bone fracture is not an insignificant amount.

On top of that Arcia likely is going to be the regular shortstop to start the season with Holt and Sogard also on the team and capable of playing 3B. Urias will most likely be starting in AAA and will have to prove himself to the organization before they make a move. Nothing about Urias at this point suggests he is a player where there is a risk for the Brewers going year to year on his contract.

The only reason to hand out a pre-arbitration extension is for cost certainty or to pay more money up front to get an option on a 7th or 8th year of control. Under that scenario why would anyone give Urias an extension? There are legitimate questions if he will generate enough offense to be a major league regular. I get all the minor league numbers but here's a list of other Padres farmhands who had better OPS numbers on the same teams as Urias, and none of these players has broken through offensively in the majors either:Travis Jankowski, Allen Craig, Ty France, Estaban Quiroz, Austin Allen, Franmil Reyes and the list goes on.

I agree the potential is there to be more than just another middle infielder that can't hit, but then he suffered a fractured hamate bone. So not only are their questions about his game, the Brewers literally haven't seen him play for them yet, AND the number of players who never regain their hitting ability following a hamate bone fracture is not an insignificant amount.

On top of that Arcia likely is going to be the regular shortstop to start the season with Holt and Sogard also on the team and capable of playing 3B. Urias will most likely be starting in AAA and will have to prove himself to the organization before they make a move. Nothing about Urias at this point suggests he is a player where there is a risk for the Brewers going year to year on his contract.

They traded for him, so I'll guess that they have seen him play before and liked something about him. They just extended Peralta, who doesn't have a tremendous MLB track record, so the precedence is there for signing promising young players even if they haven't yet had a lot fo MLB success.

I'll disagree with your premise on why a team signs pre-arby players to long-term extensions. It is done because you get a significant price break in return for transferring risk from the player to the team. At a Peralta-style extension, even if Urias only maxes out as a utility guy, the team isn't out that much money, and if he plays to his potential, they have gotten a steal of a deal. These are the type of deals that can generate tremendous value for a team, both while the player is playing for you, and if they ever decide to trade him away.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

[sarcasm]Wonder if the pirates has a matching contribution[/sarcasm]

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

[sarcasm]Wonder if the pirates has a matching contribution[/sarcasm]

On a serious note I believe the 401k is managed by the MLBPA or that could be the pension. About 10-years ago I was working with a company that manages the enrollment and other various administrative jobs for that plan. Can't remember if it was the pension or if it was the 401k though.

• 1 month later...

FanGraphs has released their updated Estmiated Local TV Revenues for each team & it looks like the Brewers are 29th at 28 million with the only the Marlins lower at 20 million & a 14 million gap between us & the Rockies in 28th at 42 million.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-update-the-estimated-local-tv-revenue-for-mlb-teams/

I'd imagine this massive income disparity will continue to be relevant to our payroll in 2020 & beyond.

But isn't the TV contract due to be renegotiated soon?

Believe it was set to expire after this season.

Would guess they won't see much of a bump coming off an at best pandemic shortened season or at worst no season at all, but it will definitely be an interesting situation to keep an eye on.

But isn't the TV contract due to be renegotiated soon?

Believe it was set to expire after this season.

Would guess they won't see much of a bump coming off an at best pandemic shortened season or at worst no season at all, but it will definitely be an interesting situation to keep an eye on.

TV ratings will bump it up quite a bit. If they don't get to at least $40 million per year on average, I'll be shocked.

40-Man Roster Control (via minimum/arb/options):

2029 - Yelich

2026 - Peralta

2025 - Hiura, Wahl, Ray, Supak, Taylor, Ray, Perdomo

2024 - Woodruff, Houser, Urias, Lauer, Burnes, Nottingham, Frietas

2023 - Hader

2022 - Cain, Narvaez, Arcia, Gamel, Suter, Lindblom, Healy

2021 - Garcia, Knebel, Pina, Braun, Phelps, Holt, Smoak, Sogard, Gyorko

Only player on our roster that we don't have at least partial control of after this year is Anderson.

This is interesting... given that Yelich has a no-trade clause and an option year through 2029.

I would want to get Hiura to a long-term deal of some sort should 2020 be anything like the 2019 numbers (or better). Keep him here through 2029 at least.

Beyond that, maybe look at extending Hader through 2026 as well, while seeing what Narvaez, Suter, Lauer, Woodruff, and Houser do.

If Woodruff, Lauer, Burnes, and/or Hauser take steps forward, I'd try to lock one or two of them up as well, while seeing what one or two of the others could fetch in a trade.

• 5 months later...
This is going to be a wild offseason for free agency. I hope the Brewers maintained a position of flexibility where they can pounce and take advantage of some real value this off season like they did last year with Moose and Grandal.

This is going to be a wild offseason for free agency. I hope the Brewers maintained a position of flexibility where they can pounce and take advantage of some real value this off season like they did last year with Moose and Grandal.

Not sure there is much there on that level to be honest... The top guys will still become Yankees, Cubs, etc, so in the end, we'll be dumpster diving trying to save every last nickel while trying to look like we are trying to be competitive...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 1 month later...
So with the Brewers moves tonight it looks like they saved around $11 million. That would take the payroll to around $71 million per Cots. If reports of a mid $80 million payroll the Brewers might spend around $15 million. Thoughts?

This is where I have them right now. Clearly this isn't going to be the opening day roster (I hope) but if the season did start tomorrow this is my best guess. I'm trying to do this from the team's perspective so I have Hader at $6.8M and Woodruff at $4.5M, the highest estimates from MLB Trade Rumors, because from a team planning perspective that would be the "worst case scenario". I had them starting the day with a total overall payroll of $95,171,637 so it is a decrease of $11,693,000.

So with the Brewers moves tonight it looks like they saved around $11 million. That would take the payroll to around $71 million per Cots. If reports of a mid $80 million payroll the Brewers might spend around $15 million. Thoughts?

My thoughts? I need to follow a different team because the Brewers are not interested in being a serious World Series contender.

I'm sick and damn tired of this. And don't give me, "the team has made the playoffs three years in a row." 2020 was a joke of a year and the Brewers were in the playoffs due to a cash grab expanded playoffs. And now the team is moving backwards.

My thoughts? I need to follow a different team because the Brewers are not interested in being a serious World Series contender.

I'm sick and damn tired of this. And don't give me, "the team has made the playoffs three years in a row." 2020 was a joke of a year and the Brewers were in the playoffs due to a cash grab expanded playoffs. And now the team is moving backwards.

How long have you been a Brewer fan? Welcome to cheering for a small market club. Ebbs and flows is basically how it works.

Was there someone specific out of Knebel, Claudio, Gamel, or Peterson that you’re upset they parted ways with? If not, it seems a little premature to be outraged over the payroll until we see who they add to the roster over the remainder of the offseason.

None of the players they non-tendered yesterday are likely going to make the difference on determining whether they can compete for a World Series.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If Brewers Numbers numbers are correct and "dead" money is included the payroll then the Brewers are done adding players, unless there are some trades. They would be at the mid $80 million payroll with what they have. That is a bit of a scary thought.

If Brewers Numbers numbers are correct and "dead" money is included the payroll then the Brewers are done adding players, unless there are some trades. They would be at the mid $80 million payroll with what they have. That is a bit of a scary thought.

That is assuming that the payroll is capped in the mid-$80s, which is 100% speculation. Somewhat educated speculation, sure ... but speculation nonetheless.

Archived