Brewer Fanatic

YELICH EXTENDED - 9 YEARS $215M, Mutual Option in 2029, Full No Trade, $28 million deferred

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I mean, are you expecting a World Series roster with 34-year-old Yelich window making $30 million?

The window is probably still 3-4 years just like it was before.

What??? Yelich is exactly the type of player and body type that can sustain at a very high level into his mid 30's. The long term deals that have become albatrosses for other teams are the ones where the player has been pushing 40 at the tail end.

People will say "but what about Braun?" but that doesn't really work, either. Braun has been a very productive player for the life of that deal. Not MVP level, but a very good player.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, are you expecting a World Series roster with 34-year-old Yelich window making $30 million?

The window is probably still 3-4 years just like it was before.

What??? Yelich is exactly the type of player and body type that can sustain at a very high level into his mid 30's. The long term deals that have become albatrosses for other teams are the ones where the player has been pushing 40 at the tail end.

People will say "but what about Braun?" but that doesn't really work, either. Braun has been a very productive player for the life of that deal. Not MVP level, but a very good player.

I've been a defender of Braun's deal but I think they'd take that back if they could.

Yelich is probably going to get worse in every season starting in about 2023...it becomes harder to win that way.

I love Yelich, but am a bit concerned (if it is tacked on at the end of his current control) if we have to end up paying ~30mil/yr to a 35+ y.o. Yelich.

That being said - happy to keep the guy here through the prime of his career. Hes a fantastic baseball player and human being.

One thing is definitive after this, all talk of Mark A being cheap should stop immediately.

I would argue that it never should have begun.

It should stop immediately ...

but it won't.

I have been defending Attanasio at every corner.

Basically he just took money that he could've paid other good players for the next 3 seasons and gave it to Yelich.

And then he took more money and earmarked it to Yelich when he's age 37 or 38.

Cheap? No.

Smart? Ehhhhh.

Did you want to keep Christian Yelich here or not? If so, what were you expecting, him to sign a 9-year deal where he makes $10 million in 2027?

Mark A is cheap until he spends $300 million on an all-time talent, then it's too much money to be able to win in 2026. Can we make up our minds at least?

1. Great news, speaks well of the franchise that they can do a contract like this. It shows the league they can and will do it too.

2. Good for Yelich, he wasn't going to go broke on his old contract but after 2 MVP worthy seasons he deserves much more than that, this has to be a weight off his shoulders.

3. I'm a tiny bit apprehensive, I was kind of in the camp that the Brewers should reap the value of his current contract and trade him when the time came for the future of the franchise. That said, I can't criticize it either and it is exciting. Yelich is exactly the type of player that this franchise should work to keep long term as the face of the future. Go Crew!

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

One thing is definitive after this, all talk of Mark A being cheap should stop immediately.

I would argue that it never should have begun.

It should stop immediately ...

but it won't.

I have been defending Attanasio at every corner.

Basically he just took money that he could've paid other good players for the next 3 seasons and gave it to Yelich.

And then he took more money and earmarked it to Yelich when he's age 37 or 38.

Cheap? No.

Smart? Ehhhhh.

This is just a fallacy. It's a huge assumption that every dollar can be flipped to "other good players." Some contracts work, some don't. There's sizable risk with the kind of player in FA that would placate people enough to be OK with not spending on Yelich. You'd be exchanging the risk of this long-term deal for another risk. It's no guarantee at all that by hoarding pennies here they're better off in 5 years. Not even close to one.

Now Heyman says 9/215 from this point forward. He was signed for 3/41.5, so we basically added an additional 6/173.5 to his current deal. Assuming all this is accurate of course. And he is signed through his age 36 season. That actually seems very reasonable considering he's basically 2 time MVP.

Now Heyman says 9/215 from this point forward. He was signed for 3/41.5, so we basically added an additional 6/173.5 to his current deal. Assuming all this is accurate of course. And he is signed through his age 36 season. That actually seems very reasonable considering he's basically 2 time MVP.

His quote is two years, option year ripped up, and seven new years added. Total package of ~$215m. Yelich is signed for 2 years $26.5m, so this appears to be a 7 year ~$190m extension (if all true).

Yea "reasonable" probably seems like a good word. Being around 30 mil per year on the extra is below market value where you did, in theory, see some savings but also not drastically low in the 20s where he'd basically be dumb to take it and it's hugely beneficial to the team. Going into all this, and I probably said here, that it really didn't make sense for the team unless he gave a discount from open market. This probably didn't quite get to what I meant by "discount" but it's close. Then factor in inflation, new CBA unknowns, 6 years instead of 8-9 he'd have gotten in FA and I think you can say this is 'reasonable' and seems about right if you're going to do the extension.

It still might prove out that not paying him into his mid 30s would've been the smarter/shrewd move but you have an all time great on your hands, it's just tough to willingly let him go.

I agree. Roughly $24 million/year for the next nine years. Yelich must really like Milwaukee, because if he would have played out his contract and got to free agency after 2022, there is no way he isn't a $30+ million/year player.

Dang it, marlins won the trade for sure now.

Mark A just threw a bunch of sand for posters complaining the brewers were crying poor to pound. This is exactly what I thought the brewers could be trying to do with their payroll difference from last season. Pumped Yelich will likely retire as a brewer, and as soon as he cant play OF I'm guessing he will do just fine at 1st base!

His quote is two years, option year ripped up, and seven new years added. Total package of ~$215m. Yelich is signed for 2 years $26.5m, so this appears to be a 7 year ~$190m extension (if all true).

Not to nitpick, but ripping up the option year was a choice by the Brewers. I get that Heyman worded it that way, but we didn't have to and wouldn't have done that. That's why I view the new money as 6/173.5.

With the team's strong front office, this move solidifies the idea that the team likely won't me looking at chopping things down and rebuilding any time in the near future. Yelich has to know what the future holds. There's no way he signs this deal if they are going to tear things down in a couple seasons. We are likely to have some seasons in the next decade that won't be great, but the idea of looking at full teardowns and AAAA rosters, like we saw in the early 2000s, I believe is a thing of the past. That's how big this is. The Brewers are playing with the Big Boy clubs now.

Archived