Brewer Fanatic

YELICH EXTENDED - 9 YEARS $215M, Mutual Option in 2029, Full No Trade, $28 million deferred

Brewers will be paying Yelich his deferred money through the 2042 season. Looks like it will be $2 million per season for 14 years.

So he'll be getting 2 million or more per year until he's 50. That's pretty awesome for him. Even if he goes all Terrell Owens, he won't go broke until at least 50

Actually, he could sell his future payments (or a good chunk at least), get money now and then burn that up. Not saying he will. Isn't JG Wentworth a Brewers commercial sponsor?

Its my money and I need it now!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewers will be paying Yelich his deferred money through the 2042 season. Looks like it will be $2 million per season for 14 years.

Depends on the buyout. If they do the buyout in 2029, he gets $2.5 million from 2031-2042 (12 years, $30 million). If they don't buyout, he gets $2.3 million from 2031-2041 (11 years, $28 million).

Interestingly, Braun's deferred money ends in 2031, so they overlap by 1 year. And Garza's deferred money ends in 2021, right before Braun's kicks in. So they're paying deferred money from 2018-2042.

You are correct. I forgot about the buyout in 2029. I’m not a big fan of deferring money, but I can understand it. $2 million in 2035 will be fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

So he'll be getting 2 million or more per year until he's 50. That's pretty awesome for him. Even if he goes all Terrell Owens, he won't go broke until at least 50

I didn’t realize TO was on the list, but it’s not surprising since most NFL and NBA players are broke within a couple years of their careers ending.

I thought I read that Yelich didnt ask for the NTC but the Brewers flat out just gave it to him.

If true that is pretty dumb on the Brewers part. I am skeptical though.

The only thing I read is that an opt-out never came up because Yelich didn't want one.

Yelich would get 10/5 rights (i.e a full on trade clause) early on during the extension years anyway. So a no-trade clause would essentially affect only the first 3½ years of the deal, the years where the Brewers would most want him here anyway. Which is not to say it has no impact; maybe the situation changes fast and the Brewers would be looking to trade him early, who knows. But trading the last few years of the contract wouldn't have happened without Yelich's approval, with or without a NTC.

When both player and team are eager for an extension, as it seems was the case here, things may be different. But normally things like opt-outs, NTC and such are things that affect the $ amount too. So an opt-out is generally a bad thing for the team, but having that opt-out or NTC could also mean lowering the AAV of the deal and be attractive to some teams. Which to me is incredibly short-sighted, but it's not like I know the first thing about running a team.

Yelich also gets 4 premium tickets to 20 mutually agreed upon home games per year. This adds about $100,000 to the deal

Was the team actually negotiating this? Seems like a throw in to me, but the way it is worded it seems like there was back and forth on game tickets. Mutually agreed upon games? Was there really negotiation on this when we are talking about a 215 million dollar deal? Just 20 games? Were we really negotiating this down from say 30 games? Just 4 tickets?

Seems laughable to even include this part in the deal to the public. Just Give him a suite and any tickets he wants and keep it private. We're talking 215 million dollars here to a franchise player and game tickets are part of the negotiation? Kinda like buying a house and negotiating about the doormats.

Yelich also gets 4 premium tickets to 20 mutually agreed upon home games per year. This adds about $100,000 to the deal

Was the team actually negotiating this? Seems like a throw in to me, but the way it is worded it seems like there was back and forth on game tickets. Mutually agreed upon games? Was there really negotiation on this when we are talking about a 215 million dollar deal? Just 20 games? Were we really negotiating this down from say 30 games? Just 4 tickets?

Seems laughable to even include this part in the deal to the public. Just Give him a suite and any tickets he wants and keep it private. We're talking 215 million dollars here to a franchise player and game tickets are part of the negotiation? Kinda like buying a house and negotiating about the doormats.

I would guess it is something Yelich requested and they threw in there. I doubt there was any negotiation. The tickets are probably in the owners box, so he probably wanted nice tickets for when family/friends visited. Guys make MLB debuts and you see their family in crummy seats...so I can see why a guy may want to request it. Players always have tickets available to them...but obviously not owners box good.

It is funny it got put into the contract though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
One of the last cheap years is currently being wasted away. Kind of a big bummer.

I'll preface my comment by saying I know that there are things going on that are way more important than baseball, and I understand that, and I agree that what they're doing is the right thing. That being said, the baseball fan in me can still take the time to feel like..... man, it really sucks that we're losing a half a year (or more) of Yelich in his prime. Think about the Angels. They have Mike Trout, easily the best player of this generation, and maybe one of the top 5 players ever when it's all said and done (if he stays on the track he's on) and they're losing a huge chunk of a full season of a prime aged season from him.

Like I said, I know it's just baseball, and it doesn't matter much in the great scheme of things, but it's still there.

One of the last cheap years is currently being wasted away. Kind of a big bummer.

I'll preface my comment by saying I know that there are things going on that are way more important than baseball, and I understand that, and I agree that what they're doing is the right thing. That being said, the baseball fan in me can still take the time to feel like..... man, it really sucks that we're losing a half a year (or more) of Yelich in his prime. Think about the Angels. They have Mike Trout, easily the best player of this generation, and maybe one of the top 5 players ever when it's all said and done (if he stays on the track he's on) and they're losing a huge chunk of a full season of a prime aged season from him.

Like I said, I know it's just baseball, and it doesn't matter much in the great scheme of things, but it's still there.

It's not just baseball anymore. It represents everything that was great about the normal life we took for granted. I miss the days when Christian Yelich's inevitable departure from the Brewers took up way too much of brain's free time. Give me those days back!

• 4 months later...
A bit late to this party, but I think this is a wonderful deal for Milwaukee...to the extent where I'm surprised the union didn't make a big effort to pull the plug on it. Sure, the last couple years will probably suck, and there is some concern over the defensive falloff last season, but I think he's a safe bet to stay a premier hitter over the next five years. Hopefully Attanasio will put resources around him. Yelich's soon to be 26 million per year goes on the books, Braun's roughly 19 million per season comes off the books...I sure hope Attanasio puts that 7 million difference back into the MLB roster.

You're surprised the union wouldn't pull the plug on a deal that pays him 27 million per? I'd have been stunned if anyone would have even tried. And given that they let the Braves absolutely rob two young superstars last year...this seems like the least of their worries.

With a DH in the NL now(I'm assuming it's gonna stick moving forward) I think this deal ends up playing out just fine.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I didn’t realize TO was on the list, but it’s not surprising since most NFL and NBA players are broke within a couple years of their careers ending.

I'd almost have been surprised if TO WASN'T on this list. That said, I think you can start receiving a could pretty healthy pension at ~55 or so that should pay him over 100K a year. So I doubt he's actually "broke" right now as that's a term that's thrown around pretty loosely with athletes and he's going to be getting about 10K a month tax free or mostly tax free.

If I was an agent though...I'd BEG my players to meet with a good financial advisor and at the very least put 10 pct of their earnings into some type of safe annuity that starts paying out at age 45 or something like that. You put your body through everything he did, make ~70 million and you go broke...

There used to be a picture of a meme that went around. It had Jay-Z when he was starting to get rich with tons of Jewelry and other depreciating assets and then when he become a mogul and he had just a plain black shirt on.

Maybe he'll try to impart his wisdom on some of these young guys. I believe Bernie Kosar is another guy who went broke who tried to talk to young players about investing their money and who to trust and not to trust.

Eh, I think everyone knows you're not saying it's more important than people who are suffering in other ways.

We talk about how Ted Williams numbers were impacted by a MUCH bigger world wide issue with regard to WW2. No reason to not speculate how missing most of a season can impact a HOF caliber player in his prime years.

Last year on this date (July 22, 2019), Yelich was hitting .337 with 35 HRs and a 1.157 OPS.

[sarcasm]And so far this year not even 1 hit. Why did we extend this bum again?[/sarcasm]

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• 4 months later...
A bit late to this party, but I think this is a wonderful deal for Milwaukee...to the extent where I'm surprised the union didn't make a big effort to pull the plug on it. Sure, the last couple years will probably suck, and there is some concern over the defensive falloff last season, but I think he's a safe bet to stay a premier hitter over the next five years. Hopefully Attanasio will put resources around him. Yelich's soon to be 26 million per year goes on the books, Braun's roughly 19 million per season comes off the books...I sure hope Attanasio puts that 7 million difference back into the MLB roster.

What idiot posted this? Time to flip-flop just like the average American politician.

I see there is a post on MLBTradeRumors saying the Rockies have engaged the Mets in a possible Arenado deal. Note the Rockies have engaged the Mets. If I remember correctly, it seems like all the talking heads thought this would be a relatively safe deal for the Rockies. Only two years in, and it looks like the Rockies really, really, really want to get out from under this deal.

I fear the Yelich deal is going to turn out to be a train-wreck for the Brewers. I predict a big offensive year from Yelich in 2021, but we'll see how quick things go south after that. Considering the poor offensive performance in 2020 (granted, small sample size in a strange year), chances are looking pretty good that Yelich does not stay a premier hitter over the next five years like dumb-dumb posted in the quote above.

I predict a big offensive year from Yelich in 2021, but we'll see how quick things go south after that.

Why would you predict a steep falloff (that seems to be what you are implying) if you think he's going to go gangbusters this coming season?

I think he'll be above average for a few years then mix in a bunch of average. And that's if he can stay healthy. I did not have big excitement with this deal. Listen, I love Braun and glad he got to finish his career here but we should have learned that lesson already.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think he'll be above average for a few years then mix in a bunch of average. And that's if he can stay healthy. I did not have big excitement with this deal. Listen, I love Braun and glad he got to finish his career here but we should have learned that lesson already.

That’s pretty much where I’m at too.

What idiot posted this? Time to flip-flop just like the average American politician.

I see there is a post on MLBTradeRumors saying the Rockies have engaged the Mets in a possible Arenado deal. Note the Rockies have engaged the Mets. If I remember correctly, it seems like all the talking heads thought this would be a relatively safe deal for the Rockies. Only two years in, and it looks like the Rockies really, really, really want to get out from under this deal.

I fear the Yelich deal is going to turn out to be a train-wreck for the Brewers. I predict a big offensive year from Yelich in 2021, but we'll see how quick things go south after that. Considering the poor offensive performance in 2020 (granted, small sample size in a strange year), chances are looking pretty good that Yelich does not stay a premier hitter over the next five years like dumb-dumb posted in the quote above.

The Rockies are getting tired of Arenado's refusal to say whether he will opt out after 2021 and they get nothing for him, or continue to play for the huge money. They really can't make any significant moves until he lets them know what his plans are. If they can trade him they cut their losses and can move on.

If Arenado does not opt out he has 6/199 left on his contract compared to 8/193 for Yelich.

ZiPS projects Arenado for a 117 OPS+ & 3.8 WAR in 2021 compared to a 135 OPS+ & 4.3 WAR for Yelich.

Given Yelich is better & cheaper (& doesn't have the uncertainty regarding the opt out), I don't think his contract is nearly as onerous as Arenado's currently.

Archived