Brewer Fanatic

YELICH EXTENDED - 9 YEARS $215M, Mutual Option in 2029, Full No Trade, $28 million deferred

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Several people on this board are going to go full Scanners on this news.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Awesome!!!!!!!

Guess this answers the "Why won't they spend money?" crowd! And the "We need to get to a World Series in the Yelich Window" crowd.

This makes my day!

I mean, are you expecting a World Series roster with 34-year-old Yelich window making $30 million?

The window is probably still 3 years just like it was before.

Holy moly. I'll eat crow, I thought this wasn't even close to being in the cards, especially on a deal that only goes to his age 34 year? I thought they'd have to go further into his late 30's, so I'm not as concerned about it souring as I would have been. Pretty cool to see!

Awesome!!!!!!!

Guess this answers the "Why won't they spend money?" crowd! And the "We need to get to a World Series in the Yelich Window" crowd.

This makes my day!

I mean, are you expecting a World Series roster with 34-year-old Yelich window making $30 million?

Just like Braun's window in 2010?

Awesome!!!!!!!

This makes my day!

Yes. Why not?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

According to Rosenthal he doesn't know if it is an additional 7 years or if the contract will replace the 3 years left on the contract. So at this point can be under contract anywhere from 2026-2029.

Kind of shocked to read this, but happy. I recall a couple years ago I suggested on this forum that the team should sign him to a long term deal, and at the time a lot of posters downplayed the need. I guess the last couple MVP caliber seasons kind of changed things.

This deal makes sense for both sides. Yelich is the face of the franchise and gives the Brewers a marketable star for years to come.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The window is probably still 3-4 years just like it was before.

What??? Yelich is exactly the type of player and body type that can sustain at a very high level into his mid 30's. The long term deals that have become albatrosses for other teams are the ones where the player has been pushing 40 at the tail end.

Awesome!!!!!!!

This makes my day!

Yes. Why not?

I guess after further thinking I'm OK with it.

I'm usually the big contract understanding type. I just think that they had him cheap on a deal probably that reached the end of his prime. We've basically added extra to the end to pay for some decline years, but if he remains elite, it could pay off.

According to Rosenthal he doesn't know if it is an additional 7 years or if the contract will replace the 3 years left on the contract. So at this point can be under contract anywhere from 2026-2029.

I think it'd be weird to NOT buy out the last two years but who knows.

If they tear up his current deal, and he's making $30+ million in 2020 now, it will put the payroll up around where it was last year.

So yeah ... some crow may need to be dined on around here.

:laughing Yeah I wonder if those complaining about the payroll feel better about the season now that they've spent more money (assuming his salary increase happens this year)

I think it'd be weird to NOT buy out the last two years but who knows.

A few sources saying 9 years, $280 million

Archived