Brewer Fanatic

2020 Packers Draft Thread

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I seen a mock with Cole Kmet to NE at 23. Yeah right.

Some picks are just weird.

I saw one with the Packers taking Jordyn Brooks, ILB, Texas Tech in the first round. The guy was their 134th ranked player in the draft - and then they had us taking him at 30. They said he was a 'moving up boards'.

Just weird.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that same one too. Most places have him in the 3rd. I can't remember where it was thought. Since the whole draft process after the combine is different, it could make for some more surprising picks than normal. no idea, but its safe to say it will be a different draft than what we typically see.

I saw that same one too. Most places have him in the 3rd. I can't remember where it was thought. Since the whole draft process after the combine is different, it could make for some more surprising picks than normal. no idea, but its safe to say it will be a different draft than what we typically see.

I'd seen Brooks listed as a 2nd rounder for GB in other Mocks. But not 1st - for any team.

A lot of those sites don't update their rankings post-combine; some don't even update them after the season ends. The one that has the simulator is terribly inaccurate and outdated. I pretty much only look at NFL.com; they don't have as many prospects as some other sites do, but they have the most connections to NFL scouts and I think the most accurate rankings and scouting reports.

Outside of NFL.com, I find draftcountdown.com to be the most accurate. No scouting reports, but more names than any other site which gives you an opportunity to research them/internet search/look at college stats. That's my starting point for finding 6th/7th/UDFAs, along with pro day reports.

A lot of those sites don't update their rankings post-combine; some don't even update them after the season ends. The one that has the simulator is terribly inaccurate and outdated. I pretty much only look at NFL.com; they don't have as many prospects as some other sites do, but they have the most connections to NFL scouts and I think the most accurate rankings and scouting reports.

Outside of NFL.com, I find draftcountdown.com to be the most accurate. No scouting reports, but more names than any other site which gives you an opportunity to research them/internet search/look at college stats. That's my starting point for finding 6th/7th/UDFAs, along with pro day reports.

I was actually referring to mock drafts I watched that were posted in the last 48hours.

In the last 6hours I've seen more consensus that GB will trade up to 27 with Seattle because Seattle is anti 1st rd apparently in order to leap the Ravens and take Murray at 27. Some say GBs 3rd pick for the move. I seen another say the 4th pick plus 1 6 and 1 7. I just can't fathom the risk to miss out on one of these WRs not having a pick til 62. What happens when a guy valued around 36-40 is there vs a WR that's in the 70s? You trade back with a team looking to grab the top 40 and you pick your 70s player maybe(still there?) in the 3rd round and acquire a 4th round pick. Just Yuck. I hate it for the fact I mentioned previously, you're very likely to walk away with Murray and not a single other contributor to the 2020 team.

I'd jump Baltimore if it only cost our 4th. Value charts suggest they might need to do a 4th and 5th, which I wouldn't do.

I'm fine staying at 30 if one of the LBs are there, otherwise I really hope they don't make a pick today. A trade back like they did in '17 works just fine for me, though I'd support a more modest trade back to get a 2nd or 3rd.

Here's my Packers 5-round mock that is sure to be 100% incorrect:

1.30: WR Denzel Mims, Baylor - Fast target who has polish and playmaking ability. Mims is a mid to upper 1st round talent most years, but gets downgraded due to the extreme depth in this year's WR class. World-class athlete with a RAS score of 9.78. (Alternate - OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State)

2.62: Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M - At 6-3, 293 pounds, he fits the size profile that the Packers typically look for at the position. Great combination of power and quickness. (Alternate - WR/TE Chase Claypool, Notre Dame)

3.94: Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech - Brooks (6-0, 240 pounds) has a good blend of athleticism and physicality for the second level, and should be a nice fit with Christian Kirksey in the middle of the Packers' defense. (Alternate - WR Bryan Edwards, South Carolina)

4.136: OT Jack Driscoll, Auburn - Driscoll fits the Packers’ profile as a smart player who is athletic and strong in pass protection. Plus he profiles to have tackle-guard versatility. (Alternate - S Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois)

5.175: LB/S Tanner Muse, Clemson - Man without a set position, but perhaps one of the best athletes in the draft. He's the type of guy that Pettine sould find a hybrid role for. (Alternate - WR Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin)

I'm sure there will be a ton of trades, though, so who knows?

jsonline opined

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/04/23/nfl-draft-our-predictions-green-bay-packers-first-pick/3005841001/

not sure where the Brooks love in the 1st is. I do miss McGinn's journal sentinel draft day coverage he was by far more accurate than anyone else covering the team. I'd be happy with Queen, Murray, Jackson, or Cleveland as the others guessed. Aiyuk too. I do think that the 1st 3 will be gone unless the packers move up though.

Jack Driscoll gives me a Mark Tauscher vibe. I've not seen him play, but just that baby-faced, pudgy body style. Seems that Driscoll is more athletic than Tausch was and will be drafted higher. Driscoll will be delighted to have Mark's career, I'm sure.

Side note: I found Tauscher's draft profile page. He was "graded" as an "F" for his combine results. Certainly a good example of a pure football player and not an athlete.

I think you are understating Tausch's athleticism. His balance and hand/foot coordination was a sight to see. First saw it during his highschool basketball career. Maybe those are just aspects of athleticism that we understate generally.

Happy draft day!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think you are understating Tausch's athleticism. His balance and hand/foot coordination was a sight to see. First saw it during his highschool basketball career. Maybe those are just aspects of athleticism that we understate generally.

Specifically, I was talking about his measurables at the combine in comparison to Driscoll. Its not a huge difference, but Driscoll was just a bit better in every category they both completed.

Tausch had great form and balance, which is why he had such a great career. And all good reasons why combine measureables aren't the only criteria to consider when drafting.

What I hope happens:

Round 1: Patrick Queen (LB), Kenneth Murray (LB), or Trade Back

Round 2: Tee Higgins (WR) or Chase Claypool (WR)

What I think happens:

- The Packers trade up 5 spots, but don’t address a position of need.

I have no idea what to expect tonight. I loved BG’s first draft (picking up the extra pick from the Saints and then maneuvering to get Alexander), but was disappointed last year with taking Gary and then trading up for Savage. I wish they had traded back from #12 to where they thought Savage fit (it takes two to tango, I know) and then addressed another position of need at #30. I’m not a draft expert or even a big draft guy, but it always seems to me that good value gets pushed down the board every year. Just be patient.

Hoping to see the Packers trade up and get one of Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, or Jefferson with Jefferson being the most likely target and one to be available at a position to trade up to. I think trading up to the 18-21 range is where they would need to target to snag someone like Jefferson (and steal him from right under Minnesota’s nose!). With the Dolphins, Raiders, and Jaguars in the 18-20 spots and already making a selection higher up in the draft, one of them might be willing to trade back to add some extra draft capital.

If they aren’t able to get one of those 4, I would like to see them target the linebacker position or trade back.

Made a couple of changes to my late round picks. Put Charlie Taumoepeau in and took Nigel Kilby out.

Going back and forth between ILB in round 3/DL in round 4 and DL in round 3/ILB in round 4. There is part of me that thinks they go DL earlier than I have them, but that's why I have DL as my "Don't be surprised" picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I went though the FanSpeak mock draft simulator GUESSING WHO I THINK GUTEKUNST WOULD TAKE. I used the Arif Hasan board, User-Voted team needs and the Difficult level.

1-30 - Denzel Mims/WR/Baylor

2-62 - Jordyn Brooks/ILB/Texas Tech

3-94 - McTelvin Agim/DE/Arkansas

4-136 - Alex Taylor/OT/South Carolina State

5-175 - Stephen Sullivan/TE/Louisiana State

6-192 - Quez Watkins/WR/Southern Mississippi

6-208 - L'Jarius Sneed/S/Louisiana Tech

6-209 - Danny Pinter/OG-C/Ball State

7-236 - Shaun Bradley/ILB/Temple

7-242 - James Smith-Williams/OLB/North Carolina State

Queen went #26 and Murray went #29.

Hoping to see the Packers trade up and get one of Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, or Jefferson with Jefferson being the most likely target and one to be available at a position to trade up to. I think trading up to the 18-21 range is where they would need to target to snag someone like Jefferson (and steal him from right under Minnesota’s nose!). With the Dolphins, Raiders, and Jaguars in the 18-20 spots and already making a selection higher up in the draft, one of them might be willing to trade back to add some extra draft capital.

If they aren’t able to get one of those 4, I would like to see them target the linebacker position or trade back.

I made mention to this. All of GBs picks create a total value to move up to 18 or 19 in the 1st round. 1pick for 10picks. The team would have to move 2021picks moving up beyond 6picks from 30. That would be incredibly wrong considering the fact if Rodgers got hurt in game 1 we could be staring at a 3-5win season and losing picks that may be in the top 3 or 5 of every round in 2021. Theres also going most likely going to be much better interviewing, studying, in person workouts, than thisCovid 2020.

Those 4 WRs typically are gone by 18. And the latest I see mocked is when Minnesota picks simply surprised that WR is available.

My only other trade value thought is do we have a player to trade that may be a 2nd or 1st rd value and contract movable. Amos? Clark? Aaron Jones? Thinking you move Williams to 1 and Ervin to 3drb. Its crazy talk but moving up ahead of Minnesota is just that crazy talk.

First notice of new mock. Miami trading up to 3 from 5. To take Tua. Um the Giants arent taking your QB at 4. How does this make sense? Keeping the Chargers from moving to 3. Ive seen the Chargers do this and more often take Herbert to do so. Another note watching a Mock draft now. Brady and Tampa have the ability to pick Jerry Juedy and give him Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Jeudy and Gronk to throw to. Then the guy mentions a RB with the 2nd pick. Oof.

Jefferson is consistently sliding into the 20s in most mocks. That's do-able for the Packers, but I agree that a move into the teens is impossible without mortgaging the 2021 draft.

I don't think that the delta between Jefferson and the next best 5-6 WRs is worth the cost of trading up 7-8 spots in the first round even if Jefferson is there.

55 wide receivers were invited to the NFL combine. There will be good WRs available on day 2. Trade up in round 2 to get ahead of the Seagulls and Viqueens, yes.

Jefferson just looks to me like the kind of player that goes higher than expected and wouldn't surprise me to see him go top 15 with SF/Oak or Dolphins at 18. I can't wait to see how this unfolds tonight

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Jefferson is consistently sliding into the 20s in most mocks. That's do-able for the Packers, but I agree that a move into the teens is impossible without mortgaging the 2021 draft.

I don't think that the delta between Jefferson and the next best 5-6 WRs is worth the cost of trading up 7-8 spots in the first round even if Jefferson is there.

I agree with this completely.

Archived