Brewer Fanatic

2020 Packers Draft Thread

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

All right, here's the picks - assuming no trades:

#1 (30) - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma or Patrick Queen, LB, LSU

Either would transform the team - and if Christian Kirksey can stay healthy, it would make for a dynamic linebacking corps.

#2 (62) - Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado or Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame

Big, powerful wide out with a lot of upside (but still raw), or the best TE in the draft. Either would work well.

#3 (94) - Tyler Biadasz, IOL, Wisconsin

Nice to have a Badger on the team. Biadasz could start as rookie. Probably not a ton of upside on him, but he'd contribute immediately.

There's a good chance (more than likely) all my guys are gone by the time we pick. But we have to operate on a little faith. :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either would transform the team - and if Christian Kirksey can stay healthy, it would make for a dynamic linebacking corps.

Big, powerful wide out with a lot of upside (but still raw), or the best TE in the draft. Either would work well.

Nice to have a Badger on the team. Biadasz could start as rookie. Probably not a ton of upside on him, but he'd contribute immediately.

There's a good chance (more than likely) all my guys are gone by the time we pick. But we have to operate on a little faith. :)

I saw a mock that had the Packers taking Biadasz... in the first round.

I’d be ecstatic . I love claypool in the 2nd but it doesn’t seem like he will be around. If they get Kmet in the 2nd and Cepheus in the 4th even better.

I saw a mock that had the Packers taking Biadasz... in the first round.

I saw Biadasz in the first round early on in several mocks, but he has steadily slid down. I think he just didn't wow anyone at the combine, and he's seen more as a 'safe' pick without a lot of upside. Most drafts I see him at now are in the 3rd round.

I’d be ecstatic . I love claypool in the 2nd but it doesn’t seem like he will be around. If they get Kmet in the 2nd and Cepheus in the 4th even better.

I'd be thrilled as well.

I'm increasingly at the point where I want a trade down to grab an extra 3rd. I don't think taking the 5-6 WR off the board, when the talent/value of 5-10 at WR is fairly deep, is the best value at 30. If Queen and Murray are gone as they probably will be, and if you're not a fan of Jones or Cleveland, trade back and go WR/OT/TE with your 2nds and own 3rd, and use the 2nd third to gram Fromm, Hurts. etc. if you're legitimately interested in drafting a QB.

I just don't want Kmet in the 1st. I have a feeling Gutey will trade down and accumulate picks. Maybe not the 1st rounder though.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Athletic have posted their consensus board, which is a compilation of 56 different top prospect lists.

I was figuring ILB at #30 strictly based on need, but the board has Kenneth Murray at #18 and Patrick Queen at #19. It could be wishful thinking that either of these players make it to the Packer's pick.

I have Baun as an ILB in the NFL and I would guess that most teams see him that way too. NFL OLBs are getting bigger and bigger. Baun did weight 238 at the combine but most think he actually was 228-232 during the season.

Most would probably agree that the biggest needs on the team are, in no particular order - WR, TE, OT, DL, ILB

Starting at #25 on The Athletic board and working down, here is the players that would be top 10 possibly available for Green Bay at a position of need-

29. OT-Josh Jones/Houston

30. LB-Zack Baun/Wisconsin

33. WR-Denzel Mims/Baylor

35. WR-Tee Higgins/Clemson

39. WR-Jalen Reagor/Texas Christian

40. DL-Ross Blacklock/Texas Christian

41. OT-Austin Jackson/Southern California

42. WR-Brandon Aiyuk/Arizona State

43. WR-Laviska Shenault Jr./Colorado

46. DL-Justin Madubuike/Texas A&M

Also worth noting that the #11 WR is off the board at #53. So if the Packers wait until round two (currently pick #62) to take a WR they are likely going to miss out on all the top talent there. Chase Claypool/Notre Dame (#65) would still be available, but it seems like more and more people are reclassifying him at a TE. The next highest ranked WR left is Bryan Edwards/South Carolina (#80).

I'd guess the pick will be Mims.

Looking at Twitter today, there seems to be a growing number of idiots out there hoping that the draft gets hacked. It's almost like they don't realize that if any team gets hacked, the NFL will shut the whole draft down so fast the viewers won't know what hit them. This is the first real live sports thing happening in 5 weeks. I've never looked so forward to a draft in my life. If it gets shut down because some idiot wants to see a GIF of Spongebob pop up as the Jaguars are announcing their pick, I'm gonna be pissed.

Why would people want the first fun sports thing in like 6 weeks to be ruined?

The Athletic said that the Packers crave an ILB (Murray or Queen) or an offensive tackle (they mention Josh Jones, Ezra Cleveland and Austin Jackson as possibilities). And that they might trade up if there is someone that they really like.

You also might see the Packers trade up in the 2nd round depending on the WR situation. There's a host of good WRs that are 1st round talents that could drop into the 2nd round (such as Mims, Aiyuk, Higgins).

A lot of people seem convinced that Gutekunst is willing to wheel and deal. Should be interesting.

Looking at Twitter today, there seems to be a growing number of idiots out there hoping that the draft gets hacked. It's almost like they don't realize that if any team gets hacked, the NFL will shut the whole draft down so fast the viewers won't know what hit them. This is the first real live sports thing happening in 5 weeks. I've never looked so forward to a draft in my life. If it gets shut down because some idiot wants to see a GIF of Spongebob pop up as the Jaguars are announcing their pick, I'm gonna be pissed.

Why would people want the first fun sports thing in like 6 weeks to be ruined?

The only answer I could come up with is "because people are terrible."

I had another argument this morning with a guy who thought that someone hacking the draft would be hilarious. To who? I mean come on! Can't we have just a shred of positivity and faux normalness without someone making the world burn?

full disclosure, I think peter king is a moron

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/20/nfl-mock-draft-2020-justin-herbert-tua-tagovailoa-fmia-peter-king/?fbclid=IwAR2Gub6OupMTbBkeR-AX_t2-l8zK5YXqSmYP1UtW6RsZ_3ytFMSmxbJmIac

30. Green Bay—Michael Pittman Jr., wide receiver, USC

Professional receiver. Most have him in the second round. But the Packers don’t pick again till 62, and they see a solid but unspectacular disciplined route-runner and competitive 50-50-ball player. “He’s so reliable,” one coach told me Saturday. “He might get lost in a crop of receivers this good, but he shouldn’t. He’ll be a good receiver in the league for a long time.” Speaking of competitive receivers who were a quarterback’s best friend: Jordy Nelson, 6-3, 220 — Michael Pittman, 6-4, 222.

(so packers don't have a pick until the late 2nd, so they should draft a 2nd round guy in the 1st)

As others have said, if Queen and Murray are gone they should trade down. If Gute REALLY loves one of the 2nd round tackles or WRs a lot better than the others than they could pick them at 30, but if they trade down they could conceivably get another pick and still get who they want (or somebody similar).

The Athletic said that the Packers crave an ILB (Murray or Queen) or an offensive tackle (they mention Josh Jones, Ezra Cleveland and Austin Jackson as possibilities). And that they might trade up if there is someone that they really like.

You also might see the Packers trade up in the 2nd round depending on the WR situation. There's a host of good WRs that are 1st round talents that could drop into the 2nd round (such as Mims, Aiyuk, Higgins).

A lot of people seem convinced that Gutekunst is willing to wheel and deal. Should be interesting.

I think the idea Gute would trade up in the first round is based on what he did last year to get Savage, ignorant to the fact GB has very little trade up Capitol. Last year we had 2picks in the first #30 being the 2nd in the round vs 1st in 2020. They used 2 4th rd picks (114&118) to move up 9spots. GB has just one 4th this season and its #136 overall.

Any trade up in the 1st round would cripple the rest of the draft. You'd be staring at maybe 2 quality picks for your entire draft and day 3 pick hopefuls.

I really only believe the 2LBs Queen or Murray or WR who they thought would never be there Juedy,Ruggs, and Jefferson that they make a 1st rd pick. Nobody else keeps them in the 1st rd. Trading down is almost a certainty.

Ive watched a good 3hours of Mocks just now and WRs are going to be there in the 2nd pick. That makes the idea on a trade down so obvious. Dont get those LBs now you have the extra pick to pick one up in the 3rd or 4th(Wilson)

Biadasz or an OL that fell would also fit with an extra 3rd Rd pick being early.

It's a really odd draft order as so many teams have multiple picks in the same rounds. Miami will have had 3 1st rd selections before GB picks. Buffalo has 2 1st but nothing til early 5th I believe. So the expectation is them trading down. How many more hours? Cant get here soon enough

if the packers really wanted one of the lbs they would have to trade 30+62 to move up to 18 according to the draft value chart. That should give them their choice or also could net them Justin Jefferson, whom I love.

It would make more sense though to move down, get a Pittman or Mims and add an extra pick.

McGinn is reporting that Zack Baun tested positive for a diluted sample due to excessive water intake at the combine. It raises more questions about his size and how much weight he'll be able to carry through an NFL season.

I'm seeing WR Brandon Aiyuk, ASU, popping up as the Packers #1 pick on several mocks. Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU, is also showing up here and there.

Obviously, other guys in the mix if we want a WR, including Mims and Higgins.

Justin Jefferson looks like he'll be gone - so would require a trade up.

Pittman seems a bit of a reach at #30. Same with Laviska Shenault.

I'd be surprised if it's Aiyuk because to this point Gutekunst has shown a very strong preference for receivers with height and Aiyuk is only 5-11 5/8. I don't watch much college football outside of the Big 10 but did see the Arizona State/Oregon game and Aiyuk looked quick and explosive in that game. Shorter receivers never bothered me, lots of people think that they are less of a deep threat but Greg Jennings was not tall and caught 27 passes of 40+ yards from 2007 to 2010 and was an excellent deep threat (just for comparison, Julio Jones has 37 catches of 40+ yards in his 9 year career). But height, it seems like lots of GMs have trouble getting over that one.

It should be noted that Aiyuk has 33 1/2 inch arms which is long for a WR and also posted a 40 inch vertical jump at the combine. So there are definitely some traits there that indicate he will play taller than he actually is.

On thing regarding trading up - it doesn't have to be a huge move.

Example: Let's say the club wants ILB Kenneth Murray and he's available around 26 or 27. But there's a really good chance Baltimore will take him at 28. Well, a jump like that is the kind of move we could make - give up a 4th rounder along with our 1st or something like that to move up 3-4 spots.

It all depends if it's a guy the club loves - and they don't think he'll last.

All that said, I think trading down is a good strategy. Just have to find the right partner(s).

I'd be surprised if it's Aiyuk because to this point Gutekunst has shown a very strong preference for receivers with height and Aiyuk is only 5-11 5/8. I don't watch much college football outside of the Big 10 but did see the Arizona State/Oregon game and Aiyuk looked quick and explosive in that game. Shorter receivers never bothered me, lots of people think that they are less of a deep threat but Greg Jennings was not tall and caught 27 passes of 40+ yards from 2007 to 2010 and was an excellent deep threat (just for comparison, Julio Jones has 37 catches of 40+ yards in his 9 year career). But height, it seems like lots of GMs have trouble getting over that one.

It should be noted that Aiyuk has 33 1/2 inch arms which is long for a WR and also posted a 40 inch vertical jump at the combine. So there are definitely some traits there that indicate he will play taller than he actually is.

Agreed. I doubt that Aiyuk and Reagor are on the Packers' draft board because of this. I could definitely see Mims as their guy at #30, or if they trade back into the mid to high 2nd round, though.

No idea how accurate the statement that Kevin Hanson from SI has been the most accurate over the past five years with his mock draft but he has Denzel Mims- WR out of Baylor going to GB at 30.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The mocks I watched made mention to the tall WRs and a need for a smaller slot WR. One mention was Rodgers needs a WR who wins with separation in short routes and the tall guys he has just dont do that. So Aiyuk, Reager, Mims are being that "if I'm Gm" Im filling this position need. What gets me is that they toss Mims or Shenault as 1st round selection when so many see them as 50s or early 3rd round picks. Kinda my feeling lets let a BPA fall further and maybe get an easy choice later. I seen a mock with Cole Kmet to NE at 23. Yeah right.

Archived