Brewer Fanatic

2020 Packers Draft Thread

homer
Maybe that’s why we continue to draft lousy defensive players? If they’re truly basing their draft off the combine, we are in trouble.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm overly excited for the draft. That is all.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm overly excited for the draft. That is all.

I’ve never seen so many mock drafts posted by people in my life. Hell, I even am in an NFL draft pick em with friends.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Jefferson does seem to be sliding down into the 20s more and more. I'd strongly prefer to take him if they go WR 1st, otherwise, take your pick of whomever from the second tier is there at 62.

I think part of that is that Im seeing mocks where they put all 4 possible QBs within the top 10 picks. One NFL.com guy Mocked all 4 in first 6picks. Herbert being the #2 pick. Love the 6th. Jefferson seems to be a 15type pick. It amazes me the general #3 or 4 pick is the CB. Is that position really worthy of a top 8 pick? IF its Detroits pick though great.

otherwise, take your pick of whomever from the second tier is there at 62.

Fun fact, in the 2nd and 4th rounds the Seagulls and the Viqueens pick three and four spots respectively in front of the Packers. To move up five spots in the 2nd round, depending on which chart you look at, would cost roughly GB's 5th and earlier 6th round pick; their fourth would be an overpay. Ahead of the Viqueens are the Rams, Dolphins, and Ravens, all of whom would probably have no issue trading with GB.

I say wait to see which WRs are there at 56/57 and then move up ahead of the Seagulls and Viqueens. Viqueens need to replace Diggs, and if they don't go WR with either of their 1st round picks will definitely be looking to take one in the 2nd. Seagulls have Lockett and Metcalf but have absolutely nothing behind those guys; their backups make GB's WRs look like pro bowlers and they just rescinded their exclusive rights tender on their 4th leading receiver from last year. Seagulls will likely be looking for a WR on day 2, early day 3 at the latest.

To move up five spots in the fourth round ahead of the Seagulls and Viqueens would cost a 7th round pick. That's almost a no-brainer with GB having five picks between the 6th and 7th rounds.

The Colts apparently are enamored with Jordan Love, and are considering jumping into the late 1st round if he's still there. If I'm the Packers, and the Colts call offering their two 2nd rounders (#34 and #44) for #30 and a 4th, I would do it. A deal like that wouldn't surprise me.

The Colts apparently are enamored with Jordan Love, and are considering jumping into the late 1st round if he's still there. If I'm the Packers, and the Colts call offering their two 2nd rounders (#34 and #44) for #30 and a 4th, I would do it. A deal like that wouldn't surprise me.

I would do that in a heartbeat - but I doubt the Colts will. That's a huge price just to move up 4 picks. But hey, you never know. Desperate people do crazy stuff.

Heck, our 1st (30) and 3rd (94) for the Colts two 2nd rounds (34 and 44) would be a steal for us. I think a more realistic deal would be the Colts two 2nd rounds (34 and 44) for our 1st (30) and 2nd (62). Move down 4 spots with the first pick, move up 18 with the second.

Another option would do our #1 (30) for the Colts #2 (44) and #3 (75).

Everything comes down to who's available and who the teams values.

Reviewing mocks this morning, it's apparent the Lions are in a fantastic spot in this draft and should come out of this looking very good.

Which will make it all the more impressive when they find a way to screw it up somehow....

Regarding the Packers draft, I continue to want these guys, in this order: Murray, Jefferson, McKinney. Zero problem if they take Cleveland or Jones at OT.

Murray's projections are all over the place, from as high as mid-1st to slightly behind GB at 30. It seems like all three of the above may take a small move up to get, and I'm not opposed to that if they really want one of them. That said, a modest trade down to a team that wants to move up into the 1st for a QB with the 5th year option probably makes the most sense. After the top-tier WRs, it really doesn't matter to me which the Packers choose if they slid back a bit. And there's a lot of talent in the upper half of the 2nd round that isn't much different than what would be there at 30. In a deep draft, I want the extra 2nd or 3rd they'd pick up with a move back.

I want no part of Austin Jackson.

If the Packers stay at #30, I think they take one from the following group:

1. Kenneth Murray, ILB - His skillset is a bit redundant with Kirksey, but the guy is a tackling machine and better in coverage than Martinez ever was. Patrick Queen would probably be a better fit, but I highly doubt he makes it past the Saints.

2. Justin Jefferson, WR - His talent as a chain mover and silky-smooth route runner with speed would be a perfect fit for what the Packers are looking for.

3. A.J Epenesa, DE - Perfect body type for a 3-4 DE, with the ability to bulk up near 300 pounds without losing athleticism. Also a big motor guy who is solid in all aspects of DL play.

4. Ezra Cleveland, OT - The exact type of tackle prospect that the Packers have been drafting for years. It's almost like he was built in a factory to play on the Packers' o-line.

5. Denzel Mims, WR - If all the above guys are taken, I don't think Mims gets past the Packers. He doesn't have the smoothness of Jefferson, but can fly and jump out of the stadium.

6. Michael Pittman/Chase Claypool, WRs - Gute definitely has a type at WR, and these two fit it to a T. Huge guys with speed and massive wingspans. It would be great of one if them slips to the Packers' 2nd round pick.

If Queen or Murray are there that's the pick I'd make. If not, trade down and pick up some spaces, i really like the idea of the Packers #1 and #2 for both the Colts #2's. I fully expect Justin Jefferson, A.J. Epenesa and possibly Mims to be gone before the Packers pick. The WR class is so deep, there will be really good value for a while. Laviska Shenault Jr. in the 2nd and Van Jefferson in the 3rd and I would be thrilled! I'm really curious about where QB Nate Stanley will end up.

agreed on the LB's. Also if Jones or Thomas are there, i'd take them. My guess is that all 4 our gone. so then you could go with Isiah Wilson or Cleveland at OT, then you look at the WR's that could be around; Jefferson, Aiyuk, or Mims. I agree with you that there are so many quality WR's there is no need to reach for a 1st rounder.

if all these guys are gone, you can look at Baun or Epenesa, or one of the CB's that are projected to be late 1st's, which don't really fill a need but can help the football team.

I see a lot of people wanting Murray with no mention of Queen. Do you expect Queen to have zero chance of dropping to the Pack or just not like him?

Very rarely - if ever - have I seen Queen lasting to the Packers at #30. I think it's a given we'd be interested in him if he lasted that long.

I would kill for Isaiah Simmons. But he's not going to be there.

Same goes for WRs Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb. Ruggs is pretty much in this bucket as well.

WR Justin Jefferson would be sweet, but he probably won't be there. Same goes for LB Patrick Queen. Would love both.

LB Kenneth Murray would be a great add if he drops. Most mocks don't have him making it past Baltimore a couple of picks before us.

OT Mekhi Becton is an interesting name that is projected more in the 10-20 range, but had a failed drug test at the combine. Not sure of the story behind it, but it might cause him to drop. If the team is comfortable with him - he would be a steal if he dropped.

I've seen WRs Denzel Mims and Tee Higgins for GB. One should be there. Laviska Shenault is another WR the Packers supposedly like, but he's more of a 2nd round pick.

OT Josh Jones may drop to us. He would be a nice value.

Yeah, Isaiah Simmons is a pipe dream, even to move up and get him. I've seen Queen around in some mocks, but not too many, but quite often Queen and Murray are pretty close to the same area. So I was curious to see so many mentions of Murray and none of Queen.

I dig the idea on 1&2 for both Colts 2s. Simply because the WR I'm enamored with[Chase Claypool) seems destined for selections around there. I envision he being the kind of Gronk, Kelce, Gonzalez, and going back Eric Moulds defensive, mismatch gamewreckers.

The only tidbit is I see more and more where Love is selected before GBs pick. I dont know if that's to mock players who shouldnt be there for the team the writer supports and lo and behold hes there!. Tristen Wirfs regarded as best OL in draft by most lasted to 10 or 11 in a mock or 2.

I wonder how quickly or slowly the draft runs when they do it.

Haven’t been following this thread so I apologize if this is already been posted but if you’re looking to kill some time you can have some fun with the draft simulator.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

I've never been a draft-nik, but after running this simulator a few times I came up with this:

1 (30) LB Patrick Queen

2 (62) OT Ezra Cleveland

3 (94) WR Chase Claypool

4 (136) IDL McTelvin Agim

5 (175) WR Quintez Cephus

6 (192) IDL Bravvion Roy

6 (208) CB Essang Bassey

6 (209) WR John Hightower

7 (236) OT Trey Adams

7 (242) CB DeMarcus Acy

This seems like quite a haul and unrealistically fortunate but who knows.

Run it myself a few times, for the first time this is the result after having both Murray and Queen gone. Plus all the top tier WR's picked as well!

30 Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State

62 Laviska Shenault Jr. WR Colorado

94 Van Jefferson WRFlorida

136 Justin Strnad LB Wake Forest

175 David Woodward LB Utah State

192 Nate Stanley QB Iowa

208 Benito Jones IDL Ole Miss

209 Jake Hanson IOL Oregon

236 Kindle Vildor CB Georgia Southern

242 Jacob Breeland TE Oregon

No major WOW's, but good choices with solid value. Fills some holes and creates a little competition. Would prefer Murray or Queen at that #30 pick though! When the last pick is made, I'd be on the phone with Reggie Corbin RB Illinois and Gabe Cervenka G Clemson and offer contracts as UDFA's. Not in one of those simulations, has those two been drafted.

Looking at Twitter today, there seems to be a growing number of idiots out there hoping that the draft gets hacked. It's almost like they don't realize that if any team gets hacked, the NFL will shut the whole draft down so fast the viewers won't know what hit them. This is the first real live sports thing happening in 5 weeks. I've never looked so forward to a draft in my life. If it gets shut down because some idiot wants to see a GIF of Spongebob pop up as the Jaguars are announcing their pick, I'm gonna be pissed.

Looking at Twitter today, there seems to be a growing number of idiots out there hoping that the draft gets hacked. It's almost like they don't realize that if any team gets hacked, the NFL will shut the whole draft down so fast the viewers won't know what hit them. This is the first real live sports thing happening in 5 weeks. I've never looked so forward to a draft in my life. If it gets shut down because some idiot wants to see a GIF of Spongebob pop up as the Jaguars are announcing their pick, I'm gonna be pissed.

[sarcasm]Yeah, like say a team didn’t turn in its pick on time, and other teams started drafting ahead of them, we’d know something was up.[/sarcasm] :)

This article lists five positions that the Packers are "almost guaranteed" to take a player at:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/19/5-positions-the-packers-are-almost-guaranteed-to-take-in-2020-draft/

Fun fact - it's the same five positions I have the Packers taking a player in the first five rounds

Fun fact II - who would have guessed that the Packers have drafted a defensive lineman every year since 1985?

Doesn't need to get hacked, sounds like they're going to screw it up themselves:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2020-packers/2020/4/20/21228321/nfl-draft-2020-preparatory-mock-draft-riddled-technical-problems-bandwidth-mute-save-us-children

Last thing we need is 50M people streaming movies Thursday night hogging all of the bandwidth. Hopefully so many people will be watching it that bandwidth usage will plummet.

Oh, and hit the damn mute button. You can control that as the host, even if the participants forget to mute themselves.

Archived