Brewer Fanatic

2020 Packers Draft Thread

homer
Moving Clark off the nose would be a terrible move. Look at how mediocre Raji was after they moved him off the nose. Keep Clark at this natural position and find a upgrade to play next to him.

I don't know if it'd work out or not, but I don't think you can look at what happened with BJ Raji nearly a decade ago as any type of indication how Kenny Clark would do. Just for starters, they are very different schemes. Pettine lets his DL get upfield and disrupt and Capers could get by with Howard Green(who was pretty much the prototypical NT) at end because he just wanted guys who could eat up blockers and space.

And of course Clark and Raji are very different guys. Clark's a bigger, longer guy who should be better suited to play end than Raji was. But really, his "natural" position is literally just a few feet over one way or the other. We're not talking about moving Ty Montgomery from WR'er to RB. We're talking about moving an interior DL to another interior DL spot.

It certainly could backfire, he struggled when they played him at end more often this past year...but he was also banged up and struggling in general at that time.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clark is one of the best at what he is asked to do. I don’t think you need to slide him out to DE. Yes it could work just fine but seems unnecessary. You could just sign a DE to fix DE over signing a nose. Javon Hargrave, Jarron Reed, Quinton Jefferson, Shelby Harris all could be good options. Or try to bring in Leonard Williams or Gerald McCoy. Options are just as good at DE as they are at NT.

Hargrave kind of has had similar path as Smith. Role has grown every season. Grades out very well. Rated Top 10 in pressures for interior DLs last year.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Clark is one of the best at what he is asked to do. I don’t think you need to slide him out to DE. Yes it could work just fine but seems unnecessary. You could just sign a DE to fix DE over signing a nose. Javon Hargrave, Jarron Reed, Quinton Jefferson, Shelby Harris all could be good options. Or try to bring in Leonard Williams or Gerald McCoy. Options are just as good at DE as they are at NT.

Hargrave kind of has had similar path as Smith. Role has grown every season. Grades out very well. Rated Top 10 in pressures for interior DLs last year.

You're talking about asking Kenny Clark to go from playing over the center to over the guard or over the guard's outside shoulder. This isn't a dramatic move and it's one he'd likely only play a limited number of snaps a game as we're not in our base defense very often. I mean...if he'd been drafted by the Seahawks or the Lions...this is what he'd be playing essentially.

As for the guys you listed, both Hargrave and Williams would be great. But Hargrave, he's pretty much exclusively played DT...and he's a stud. He's looking at a contract in the neighborhood of what Kenny Clark is going to get. Leonard Williams is the perfect option, but he's also going to get a big deal. Spotrac has him getting ~5/45 this year. I'd definitely rather see the Packers do that than spend the money on Corey Littleon for example, but I don't think they're looking to break the bank on a DL right before they lock up Clark long term.

I agree that there are good option at DE, but they are generally more expensive options and in this hypothetical, the idea was to save money and get a bigger, more physical run stuffer out there.

If we DO want to go cheap and want to keep Clark at NT, I'd like to see them try and bring in Vernon Butler in. A former 1st rounder who hadn't had much success until the last year. He's a big body who can play the run and rush the QB and due to Short and Poe playing in Carolina, he's played mostly at both DE spots.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You're talking about asking Kenny Clark to go from playing over the center to over the guard or over the guard's outside shoulder. This isn't a dramatic move and it's one he'd likely only play a limited number of snaps a game as we're not in our base defense very often. I mean...if he'd been drafted by the Seahawks or the Lions...this is what he'd be playing essentially.

I forgot that this was another part of the reasoning not to spend too much money to upgrade the DL. I suppose Lowry could be the one to sit, but with Clark about to make big money, Lowry off his rookie contract, and Smith sliding inside, I doubt they put big money there anyway.

I forgot that this was another part of the reasoning not to spend too much money to upgrade the DL. I suppose Lowry could be the one to sit, but with Clark about to make big money, Lowry off his rookie contract, and Smith sliding inside, I doubt they put big money there anyway.

This really could have been solved if they just would have signed Mike Pennel when they brought him in last year. Pennel is the perfect example of how you can get one dimensional 34 run stuffer cheap. He's very good at what he does and yet he was available mid-way through the season last year.

CBS Sports has a 7 round mock draft with the Packers picks listed below. I tweaked it a little giving the Packers only lower picks. What do you think?

CBS Picks

Round 1 - Pick 30 Austin Jackson OL USC • Jr • 6'5" / 322 lbs

Round 2 - Pick 30 (62) KJ Hamler WR Penn State • Soph • 5'9" / 178 lbs

Round 3 - Pick 30 (94) Akeem Davis-Gaither LB Appalachian State • Sr • 6'2" / 224 lbs

Round 4 - Pick 30 (136) Antonio Gibson WR Memphis • Sr • 6'0" / 228 lbs

Round 5 - Pick 29 (175) Jake Hanson OL Oregon • Sr • 6'4" / 303 lbs

Round 6 - Pick 13 (192) Khalil Davis DL Nebraska • Sr • 6'1" / 308 lbs (from Oakland)

Round 6 - Pick 29 (208) David Woodward LB Utah State • Jr • 6'2" / 230 lbs (from Tennessee)

Round 6 - Pick 30 (209) Nate Stanley QB Iowa • Sr • 6'4" / 235 lbs

Round 7 - Pick 22 (236) Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati • Sr • 6'2" / 242 lbs (from Cleveland)

Round 7 - Pick 28 (242) Cam Brown LB Penn State • Sr • 6'5" / 233 lbs (from Baltimore)

My Picks

Round 1 - Pick 30 Trade down to 2nd Round and pick up a 5th Round

Round 2 - Pick 40ish Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame • Jr • 6'6" / 262 lbs (Round 2 - Pick 18 (50))

Round 2 - Pick 30 (62) Jake Fromm QB Georgia • Jr • 6'2" / 219 lbs (Round 3 - Pick 12 (76))

Round 3 - Pick 30 (94) Akeem Davis-Gaither LB Appalachian State • Sr • 6'2" / 224 lbs

Round 4 - Pick 30 (136) Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota • Sr • 6'1" / 206 lbs (Round 4 - Pick 37 (143))

Round 5 - Pick 29 (175) Jake Hanson OL Oregon • Sr • 6'4" / 303 lbs

Round 5 - Pick 30 (176) Charlie Heck OL North Carolina • Sr • 6'8" / 311 lbs (Round 6 - Pick 3 (183)) Extra Pick from 1st Round

Round 6 - Pick 13 (192) Khalil Davis DL Nebraska • Sr • 6'1" / 308 lbs (from Oakland)

Round 6 - Pick 29 (208) David Woodward LB Utah State • Jr • 6'2" / 230 lbs (from Tennessee)

Round 6 - Pick 30 (209) Quintez Cephus WR Wisconsin • Jr • 6'1" / 202 lbs (Round 7 - Pick 9 (223))

Round 7 - Pick 22 (236) Shaquille Quarterman LB Miami (FL) • Sr • 6'1" / 234 lbs (Round 7 - Pick 25 (239))

Round 7 - Pick 28 (242) Cam Brown LB Penn State • Sr • 6'5" / 233 lbs (from Baltimore)

We get our QB of the future and the best TE in the draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-2020-nfl-mock-draft-jerry-jeudy-lands-outside-top-10-colts-trade-back-into-round-1-for-a-qb/

• 2 weeks later...
Rodgers has too many years left, and we’re in a window to win now. Get him some help instead of drafting his replacement. The only way I would support a QB in top 3 rounds is if Tua tumbled .

I’m generally of that same mindset. They already have a Pro Bowl QB, so they should focus on other areas to improve the team. However, history shows you don’t pass on Aaron Rodgers because you have Brett Favre.

Latest CBS Mock has Fromm going to the Patriots in the third round. I would hate it if he becomes the new Brady.

That will probably move to 2nd round mock with Brady gone. If they have a 2nd rd pick. QB will definitely be mocked to NE wherever it may fit the Mocks.

I think Fromm is the real deal. Georgia runs the ball a lot because they are ahead more than behind and he has steadily improved in a high leverage program. He was good enough to make Justin Fields transfer to Ohio State.

I am not in love with Fromm by any means. Georgia really struggled when he was forced to make plays. I also don't like that Georgia is stacked with talent and he couldn't shine when it counted. I'm curious to see how he does going forward, but I'll take the odds of failure for QBs in this one. I may be a bad evaluator of talent, but I also dislike Tua. Fromm and Tua are both surrounded by 5 star talent up and down the line of scrimmage and in most games the talent levels are not comparable with their opponents. This is not everything in a game, but it gives them a big advantage from the start. Tua was able to produce, but when I watch his highlight reel I see the Alabama OL dominating and the WRs making great plays/breaks to get open. He will not have those big gaps in the NFL. Fromm had similar talent and could not deliver. QB success is such a crap shoot and both could find a pairing with a perfect OC/system and supporting cast to succeed. We will see in the near future.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I've had some time on my hands lately, and since it doesn't look like pro days or team visits will happen anytime soon, here goes. (If they do resume, I reserve the right to modify).

Round 1 (#30): Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State – early entrant who started all three years at LT, Cleveland answered any and all questions about his athleticism at the combine, besting the numbers by perceived more athletic tackles (Josh Jones, Austin Jackson) and even besting Tristan Wirfs in the bench, 3-cone, and short-shuttle. He also answered questions about his functional strength by putting up more reps on the bench than any other OT. The Packers gravitate towards guys with a high RAS (Relative Athlete Score), and Cleveland has an almost-perfect 9.93 (10 is perfect). With Bahktiari a FA after next season and Wagner signed as a stopgap after a down year, the Packers are looking at possibly two holes at OT in the next couple of years. Left tackles get drafted early, and OT is not deep this year so it’s highly unlikely he’ll be around with their 2nd round pick. The best way for Rodgers to make plays is to keep him upright. (replaces Bryan Bulaga/Alex Light)

If he’s still available: Chase Claypool, WR/TE, Notre Dame – ridiculously athletic (4.42, 40.5” vertical) WR with the size of a TE (6’4”, 238), huge hands (9 7/8”) and production to match (1,037 yards, 15.7 YPC, 13 TD’s), Claypool has the physical traits to overwhelm DB’s and dominate. Also an outstanding run blocker, he could be a real weapon across from Adams. Again, the Packers seem to like guys with a high RAS, and Claypool has a perfect 10.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Jacob Eason, QB, Washington – scouting reports label him as having “a rocket launcher connected to his right shoulder” and “the confidence to throw a football through a coin slot”. Sound like a certain QB you know? Eason also excels with play action, deep-ball accuracy, and throwing to where a receiver is supposed to be without waiting for them to make their breaks. There are questions about his poise and trying to throw everything 100mph, but talent like this is rarely available this late in the draft. Favre was the same age as Rodgers is now when Rodgers was drafted. As we know, you don't pass on Brett Favre when you have Aaron Rodgers.

Round 2 (#62): Lynn Bowden, Jr., WR, Kentucky – I don’t really need to write anything, you can just read this article about why the Packers should draft him. Bowden was forced to play QB the last 8 games of the year because of injuries, and he proceeded to lead the nation in yards per carry against tough SEC defenses. Human joystick who is electric with the ball in hand, he also has kick and punt return experience and two of his nine career punt returns went to the house. He won’t be a polished WR right from day 1, but has tremendous upside as a slot receiver and can also be used as a gadget player on jet sweeps and out of the backfield. The signing of Funchess reduces the need for a more ready WR, allowing the Packers to go with upside. (replaces Geronimo Allison)

If he’s still available: Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado – I don’t think he’ll get drafted as high as some do, as his injury history will scare teams off. But not only is he a great WR, he also has lined up all over the field including the backfield, and the Packers did say they were looking for one more weapon out of the backfield. His injury history is too lengthy to spend a 1st round pick, but if he’s still there after #50, the Packers could move up to get him.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Jordan Elliot, DT, Missouri - first-team All-SEC/second team AP All-American and ideal size for a 3-4 (6'4", 315), Elliot posted the top overall PFF grade for a DL and was the only Power 5 DL to have an elite grade at both pass rushing and run stopping. Having both pass-rushing and run-stopping ability is what the Packers need in their DL.

Round 3 (#94): Logan Wilson, ILB, Wyoming – ultra productive four-year starter who outgrew his safety position but maintained his athleticism, Wilson put up very good numbers at the combine but it was the pass coverage drills where he showed why he’s a true every-down LB and why he has 10 career interceptions. He also has elite fundamentals as a tackler. Wilson had the 8th highest RAS among LB’s at the combine. (replaces Martinez/Goodson)

If he’s still available: Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois – prototypical big nickel who at the Senior Bowl played CB and covered WR’s. Outstanding athlete, checking in at 6’3”, 221, and running a 4.45 with a 41” vertical, he has good cover skills and the size and speed to cover anyone on the field, especially TE’s. Chinn has an almost perfect 9.97 RAS, but there are questions about his instincts and football IQ.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: James Lynch, DT, Baylor – slightly undersized but incredibly productive DT who was a 1st team All American after accumulating 13.5 sacks,19.5 TFL, 3 forced fumbles, 5 passes defensed, and two kicks blocked this past season. True junior who is young and still developing and growing but already has explosive upper body power. Can be a 3-technique next to Clark and a big disruptor inside.

Round 4 (#136): Khalil Davis, DT, Nebraska – cue the Mike Daniels comparisons as Davis was a very disruptive penetrator but has concerns about his lack of length and short arms. Davis had similar production as Daniels his senior year (8 sacks, 11 TFL), but really showed his athleticism at the combine running a 4.75(!) 40 and a cumulative 9.55 RAS, second highest for a DL. Daniels was about the same size and the Packers had a really effective DL with Daniels lining up at the 3-technique next to Clark. (replaces one of Keke/Lancaster/Adams)

If he’s still available: Trey Adams, OT, Washington – Adams is very talented but has significant injury risk that will push him down the board. He’s not a great athlete, but he has great length and he’s quick out of his stance and into his pass sets and has plus body control for a player of his height and size. His back injury creates long-term durability risk. At this point in the draft though, you take a chance on a guy who has the legitimate ability to play LT.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Tanner Muse, S/LB, Clemson – like Chinn, Muse might be an ideal big nickel checking in at 6’2, 227 whose athleticism (4.41) opened a lot of eyes at the combine. He played more of a centerfield safety for Clemson and was quite productive (6 INTs over his junior and senior year) but his best fit might be a hybrid safety/LB role. Like Chinn, Muse has an almost perfect 9.97 RAS.

Round 5 (#175): Reggie Robinson II, CB, Tulsa – height (6’1”), weight (205), speed (4.44) cornerback prospect with good production (4 INTs, 13 passes defensed). Also has special teams experience, having blocked a kick in each of his four seasons, and had the second highest RAS score of any CB at the combine. With many impending free agents after the season and a big jump in cap hit for Rodgers, the Packers may not have room to resign the oft-injured Kevin King. (replaces Tramon Williams)

If he’s still available: Quez Watkins, WR, Southern Mississippi – speed demon who put up the 2nd fastest 40 of any WR at the combine (4.35), Watkins was a very productive deep threat who, despite missing two games this year, still put up over 1,000 receiving yards and 18.4 YPC. Watkins also has experience returning punts and kicks. A bit on the smaller side, he’s an outside receiver and vertical threat but not really a slot receiver.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: James Morgan, QB, Florida Atlantic – great size and a big arm plus willing to stand in the pocket, but not terribly accurate. He can make throws all over the field, but will need to spend some time reworking his mechanics. The Packers like a big arm and need to start developing a backup, and they can have Morgan work on his mechanics while learning behind Rodgers for a few years.

Round 6 (#192): Casey Toohill, OLB, Stanford – the Packers need to replace Fackrell but only have four OLBs on the roster with any NFL game experience and one was a waiver wire pickup. Toohill fits the Packers bill, with good size (6’4”, 250) and athleticism (6th highest RAS of any LB at the combine). Took a while to develop, but very productive senior year (8 sacks, 11 TFL, 1 FF). (competes with Tim Williams for roster spot)

If he’s still available: Isaiah Hodgins, WR, Oregon State – son of long-time NFL fullback James Hodgins, he isn’t known for straight-line speed, but he’s known for two things – agility and hands. He only ran a 4.61 at the combine, but he had the top short-shuttle time and the 6th-best 3-cone time, making him a slot WR option. Big frame (6’4”, 210, 80 1/2” wingspan) and big hands (9 7/8”), he has a huge catch radius and as one scouting report said, “Good luck finding drops on tape.” I think he’s better than Funchess, MVS, ESB, and Kumerow, and won’t be surprised if he’s taken a lot earlier.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Shaun Bradley, ILB, Temple – slightly undersized but very athletic ILB known for toughness and intangibles. Ran the 5th fastest 40 for a LB at the combine (4.51, only 0.01 slower than Queen), 4th fastest short-shuttle, and 9th fastest 3-cone time. Also doubled as a fullback, with nine career carries.

Round 6 (#208): Charlie Taumoepeau, H-Back/FB, Portland St. Doesn't have the size to play TE in the NFL, but worked out at the combine at FB and had the 2nd fastest 3-cone time and tied for 2nd fastest short shuttle among TE's. Consistent, tough attitude as a blocker. Could be a good replacement for Danny Vitale. (competes with Evan Baylis/James Looney for roster spot)

If he’s still available: Julian Good-Jones, OL, Iowa State - athletic four-year starter with experience at LT, RT, and center, his versatility and athleticism will be appealing to the Packers who may need to move on from Linsley because of salary cap purposes. The Packers like guys with LT experience who can move inside. Could be the next J.C. Tretter.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Chris Jackson, CB, Marshall – four year starter with 45 career passes defensed and another guy who was lucky to have the opportunity to show his athleticism at a pro day as he ran a 4.44 40. Meets the Packers desired height (6’0”) but is a little thin (186).

Round 6 (#209): Jake Luton, QB, Oregon State – Luton has good size (6’6”, 224), good accuracy, and a good enough arm. Huge hands (10 3/8”), Luton is known for taking care of the ball having rarely fumbled and only threw 3 INTs to 28 TD’s his senior year. He worked in a pro-style passing game with plenty of play-action, and is more NFL-ready than some. Career deep-ball completion rate of over 50%. (competes with Tim Boyle for roster spot)

If he's still available: Madre Harper, CB, Southern Illinois – Harper was one of the lucky ones who had the opportunity to showcase his athleticism at a pro day, and he took advantage of it. Prototypical CB size (6’1”, 197) he blazed a 4.41 40, a 6.70 3-cone, and a 40” vertical. The Packers love these type of height/speed prospects at CB later in the draft.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Stephen Sullivan, TE, LSU – Sullivan came to LSU as a WR but outgrew the position and moved to TE. Stuck behind Moss, he is a projection prospect with good size (6’5”, 248), length (35 38” arms), and big hands (10 1/8”). With the resigning of Lewis, the Packers can wait until day 3 to grab a developmental TE.

Round 7 (#236): Darrin Paulo, G/T, Utah – first team all-Pac 12 left tackle and three-year starter (one at LT, two at RT), his lack of length (6’4”) will likely push him inside to guard. The Packers like guys who have played LT and can be moved inside to guard and possibly free up Lane Taylor’s cap space. Linsley is a FA after the season, and the Packers may not have room to bring him back, requiring Jenkins to move back to center. Turner may not be long for his contract either. (competes with Taylor/Madison/Light for roster spot)

If he’s still available: K.J. Osborne, WR, Miami - grad transfer from Buffalo where he was a productive slot option, Osborne had to endure Miami's horrible QB situation last year, suppressing his ability. Good showing at the combine, running a 4.48 40 with the 5th fastest 3-cone time and 10th fastest short shuttle. Osborne also has special teams experience as a gunner and punt returner, averaging 15.9 yards per punt return at Miami.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Dele Harding, ILB, Illinois – first team media/third team coaches All-Big Ten who exploded onto the scene as a senior with 149 tackles, 14 TFL, 3 INTs (two returned for TD’s) and two forced fumbles. Showed decent athleticism at their pro day (4.67 40, 34" vertical, 27 bench press reps).

Round 7 (#242): A safety

With only four safeties on the roster, they’ll likely spend a late pick on one. Javin White, UNLV, had a very productive career, accounting for nine INTs and six forced fumbles in his three years as a starter and played a hybrid/big nickel type position. Nigel Warrior, Tennessee, was a three-year starter who had a very productive senior year (4 INTs, 7 passes defensed) against SEC competition. Jaylinn Hawkins, California, combined for nine INTs and two forced fumbles over his junior and senior year but his history of targeting penalties will scare some teams off.

UDFA’s (*Priority):

Case Cookus, QB, Northern Arizona

Reggie Corbin, RB, Illinois*

Evin Ksiezarczyk, OT, Buffalo

Marcus Keyes, OG, Oklahoma State

Luke Juriga, C, Western Michigan

J.J. Koskie, WR, Cal-Poly Pomona

Nigel Kilby, TE, Southern Illinois*

Giovanni Ricci, TE/H-Back/FB, Western Michigan*

Drew Wiley, FB, Villanova

Auzoyah Alufohai, DT, West Georgia

Mike Panasuik, DT, Michigan State*

Reggie Walker, OLB, Kansas State

Bryan Wright, LB, Cincinnati

Blake Lynch, S/LB, Baylor*

Michael Jacquet, CB, Louisiana

Shamad Lomax, CB/S, New Mexico State*

Luther Kirk, S, Illinois State*

I hope the Packers drop back and pick up another selection.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've seen a lot of buzz about Chinn.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

First 4 rounds all seem excitingly talented. I didn't delve below the 5th round

The 1st any sound amazing. Claypool I'll take.

2nd rd. Well so because Claypool is taken Im going to take that 3rd rd ILB Wilson.

3rd rd. Ill select Hamilton the DT because

4th rd can select Tanner Muse. Dang Ive wound up with 3Def players to 1 Offensive.

Id probably poke around with trades and find an OL to draft. With multiple 5s.

I really dont want to trade down out of 2nd rd and preferably move up in the 2nd or acquire another 3rd. Guess the Claypool pick #1 ruins #2 and on down the line not as appeasing.

Im committed to Claypool and 4yrs with him vs 3 after 1st.

Hope an OL is around for 2nd. Wilson at 3rd.

I wonder what the ratings are going to be for the NFL draft. It's pretty much going to be must watch television at this point, is it not?

The drafts are about as fun as watching paint dry even in the current environment.

I wonder what the ratings are going to be for the NFL draft. It's pretty much going to be must watch television at this point, is it not?

The drafts are about as fun as watching paint dry even in the current environment.

I disagree. Yeah, it's slow moving, but people are going to want to glob onto anything that is actually live and non COVID-related, and not streaming on Netflix. People are going to watch the heck out of the draft, in whatever form it takes.

People will be glued to any type of sports event. On top of that, all the large groups that would be at one bar, will now be individual TVs. The ratings will be super bowl level.

I admit to loving the arm-chair QB aspect and hopes the NFL draft brings. My wife still gives me grief about having the draft on while she was in the hospital about to give birth to my daughter (only a 20 year grudge...).

The draft is the only sports event producing relevant news at this point, so I'd imagine people would be glued just because it represents "normal" events.

I disagree. Yeah, it's slow moving, but people are going to want to glob onto anything that is actually live and non COVID-related, and not streaming on Netflix. People are going to watch the heck out of the draft, in whatever form it takes.

yeah I don't watch the draft to hear Jets fans boo

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived