Brewer Fanatic

2020 Packers Draft Thread

homer
Patrick Queen also allowed 12 catches on 16 targets one or two weeks ago, and he's also still overrunning plays. So I'm not quite ready to say we missed out on a Pro Bowl LB just yet.

It is kind of interesting in that I looked up his PFF rankings on the season, and he's rated below Ty Summers in both his overall score (both poor, FTR), and pass coverage this far.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Context: An article about how our draft class isn't contributing many snaps this year. It is either the article that PeavyFury wrote or plagiarized (Would they be EVEN MORE undefeated?) ;)

Yes, I do believe that situations matter, systems, QBs, coaches... but if you are really comparing Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers as equals... something is wrong here.

Alex Smith was (might still be) a good QB. More than a game manager, but not one you will ride to a SB. And he is no HOF QB. Trying to compare the two is like comparing a souped up Dodge Neon to a Lamborghini.

Yes, there's no doubt that's how things worked out...BUT Alex Smith was bigger, a little faster and thought to have a stronger arm than Rodgers.

I don't really know how everyone could have been so wrong on Rodgers arm strength...I know it got stronger with his mechanics changing early in GB, but you're comparing them after looking at how things panned out in their careers.

Smith went to a team where he was beat up early, then was "salvaged" as a game manager.

Rodgers was able to sit for three years and was put into a pretty good situation with Jennings, Driver, Jordy, Jones, Finley.

I'm just playing devils advocate. If Rodgers has to start year one...by year 3 maybe he's been on IR once, struggled for a couple years, McCarthy and Clement are gone, maybe they even draft someone to replace him.

And conversely if Smith had been able to sit and then step in to a team that was built with a lot of young talent to throw to...

Like I said, I think Rodgers would still have been better, but I don't know that it would have been AS obvious as it is now. How many young QB's have we seen ruined by bad situations.

Sam Donald is a perfect example. That dude can spin it...and he looks like a joke in New York. He's been given absolutely no chance to succeed.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Chiefs knew what they had in Patrick Mahomes and they still let him sit a year behind (of all people) Alex Smith. I strongly favor that approach. It doesn’t have to be three years, but one seems prudent.

I think it's going to be two years with Love ... betting we see him in 2022. Ride Rodgers for two more years, and deal him when he hopefully is still playing at a high level and has value and marketability.

Context: An article about how our draft class isn't contributing many snaps this year. It is either the article that PeavyFury wrote or plagiarized (Would they be EVEN MORE undefeated?) ;)

Holy cow. I swear that neither is true!

Holy cow. I swear that neither is true!

I had to laugh... where did I just read this? :laughing

Yes, I do believe that situations matter, systems, QBs, coaches... but if you are really comparing Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers as equals... something is wrong here.

Alex Smith was (might still be) a good QB. More than a game manager, but not one you will ride to a SB. And he is no HOF QB. Trying to compare the two is like comparing a souped up Dodge Neon to a Lamborghini.

Yes, there's no doubt that's how things worked out...BUT Alex Smith was bigger, a little faster and thought to have a stronger arm than Rodgers.

I don't really know how everyone could have been so wrong on Rodgers arm strength...I know it got stronger with his mechanics changing early in GB, but you're comparing them after looking at how things panned out in their careers.

Smith went to a team where he was beat up early, then was "salvaged" as a game manager.

Rodgers was able to sit for three years and was put into a pretty good situation with Jennings, Driver, Jordy, Jones, Finley.

I'm just playing devils advocate. If Rodgers has to start year one...by year 3 maybe he's been on IR once, struggled for a couple years, McCarthy and Clement are gone, maybe they even draft someone to replace him.

And conversely if Smith had been able to sit and then step in to a team that was built with a lot of young talent to throw to...

Like I said, I think Rodgers would still have been better, but I don't know that it would have been AS obvious as it is now. How many young QB's have we seen ruined by bad situations.

Sam Donald is a perfect example. That dude can spin it...and he looks like a joke in New York. He's been given absolutely no chance to succeed.

Yes, I agree that the situation means a lot. But it sounded like you were trying to spin that Smith's talent is actually equal to Rodgers, but put in a worse situation. That is the part I was debating. Several (and not just Packer fans) have stated that Rodgers is one of the most talented QBs ever (arm strength, accuracy, defense recognition, scramble ability, etc..). Thus the one SB means we wasted a lot of his talent... :( Who knows... maybe he would've won more with the 49ers.

Similar with Eli Manning vs. Phillip Rivers: You will never make me believe the Eli Manning was the better QB. Rivers was far more talented, but his situation was terrible compared to Eil's.

Setting aside the Love pick because that is a conversation in and of itself, if you take out the unknowable (who was going to get hurt) there are very few things the Packers could have done to get more immediate value out of this rookie class. Given the preseason plaudits Martin was getting, would any of the ILB available to them from Round 2 on necessarily started over him? Similarly Deguara seemed poised for a decent amount of playing time before he got hurt.

Then you come to receiver. The No. 4 wide receiver doesn't get many snaps in this offense so in order to get significant playing time, the receiver would have had to have beaten out MVS or end up in the situation Dillon is in, being an injury away from assuming a significant role. Just because the injuries ended up striking at receiver doesn't change the fact they could have just as easily hit at running back. So which receiver available with the Dillon pick or later could have beaten out MVS? Gabriel Davis? I'd lean no on Edwards and Mooney and they are really the only other contenders.

Even defensive line, Hamilton and Elliott are getting enough snaps to suggest they'd probably have roles with the Packers but not enough to think they would be more than minor upgrades. I think just about all the other defensive linemen are playing less than 30% of their team's snaps. To put that in perspective, Keke is above 50% for the Packers. Any questions I have about this draft have far more to do with how it sets the team up for the future than how many snaps the rookies are playing right now.

The Chiefs knew what they had in Patrick Mahomes and they still let him sit a year behind (of all people) Alex Smith. I strongly favor that approach. It doesn’t have to be three years, but one seems prudent.

I think it's going to be two years with Love ... betting we see him in 2022. Ride Rodgers for two more years, and deal him when he hopefully is still playing at a high level and has value and marketability.

That's after next season...

That is hard for me to picture barring an injury. I think it's entirely possible we enter Love's 5th year without having seen him play. It's one thing if you think Rodgers is declining a bit, but if he's playing at an elite level and has total control of the offense...Love would have to be pretty damn special in order to move him.

I get the argument that trading Rodgers contract and getting Love while he's cheap...but this could be a situation where I could see Murphy stepping in. There was a sizeable portion of the fan base that was behind Rodgers when he took over because Favre had spent 3 years threatening to retire AND he'd thrown away yet another shot with a terrible, terrible pick in the NFCCG.

This fan base would revolt if Rodgers was pushed out while still playing at an MVP level(and this time...I'd join them).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

That's after next season...

Yep. The Rodgers/Love reckoning is after 2021. Cap out for Rodgers, and the ability to play Love for a few years on a rookie contract and spend the 'vet QB' money on the rest of the roster. Two seasons of QB room learning should be very beneficial to Love at that point as well.

Since I was looking at Blake Martinez' PFF grade in another thread, I thought I'd look up some FA, rookie, and sophomore MLBers linked to the Pack the last couple years plus who we have.

Akeem Davis-Gaither: 39.0

Blake Martinez: 82.1

Christian Kirksey: 31.9

Corey Littleton: 32.1

Danny Trevathan: 33.1

Devin Bush: 58.7

Devin White: 45.4

Joe Schobert: 47.8

Kenneth Murray: 46.8

Krys Barnes: 67.2

Malik Harrison: 54.5

Patrick Queen: 39.5

Troy Dye: 48.1

Willie Gay Jr.: 58.6

Zach Braun: 73.1

Thanks for posting. I, like many, was very interested in Devin White and Devin Bush in last year's draft though obviously neither made it to Green Bay's pick. So surprising to see them struggling some in their second year in the league.

Archived