Brewer Fanatic

2020 Packers Draft Thread

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Discuss all your hopes and dreams for Packer draft picks here.

I wonder if they'd pull the trigger on Jonathan Taylor? I wouldn't want him in round 1 but round 2 I'd think about it. I think a lot of their draft decisions will revolve around what they do in free agency.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With how deep this draft is in WR talent, I could see them trading out of #30, picking up another 2 and maybe an extra 3. Gonna be a ton of great WR talent left in the second round. I think that's the sweet spot this year.

I doubt Taylor lasts until the 2nd round, though. I think he goes somewhere in the early 20s, if not earlier. There's just too much production and speed there for him to last any longer than that.

The Packer writer at The Athletic posted a full Packer's mock draft and didn't have them taking a WR or an ILB throughout the entire draft. Some of the reader's comments are pretty entertaining.

I am pretty disappointed that so many possible targets at #30 elected to skip important elements of the combine. The ILB's, Queen and Murray, skipped the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone. Chase Claypool (WR, Notre Dame) probably had the best height/speed combo, but he too skipped the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone. Wide receivers Tee Higgins and KJ Hamler both skipped just about everything.

I doubt Taylor lasts until the 2nd round, though. I think he goes somewhere in the early 20s, if not earlier. There's just too much production and speed there for him to last any longer than that.

If I were an NFL team, I would be concerned about him fumbling.

He had, what, 15 fumbles in roughly 7 million carries at Wisconsin? I think that concern is pretty extreme nitpicking.

I haven't gotten into specific players, but I would love the packers to get a WR and OT early in the draft. Probably need some help at ILB. I would hope that after years of going defense early, the packers give ARod some help during the twilight of his career.

I'm hopeful they can take care of ILB in free agency. Not sure I want to rely on a rookie there.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Badger fan in me is curious whether they'll go after the ex-Badger linebacker in free agency (Schobert) or if they see Baun as an ILB candidate if he's still on the board at 30.

So long as they've hit their top needs (ILB, WR, G/T -- depending on how they view Billy Turner long-term) between free agency and the first two days of the draft, I'll feel pretty good about this team.

He had, what, 15 fumbles in roughly 7 million carries at Wisconsin? I think that concern is pretty extreme nitpicking.

Taylor: 18 fumbles in 926 attempts

Dobbins: 5 fumbles in 725 attempts

I picked these two because they are from the same conference and both ranked about the same. With how important the turnover battle is in the NFL, I would be concerned. If Taylor is there in the 3rd round (not very likely), then go get him. I am never a fan of picking a running back high in the draft.

I think most NFL coaches think they can coach fumbling out of a guy. Ahman Green was a big time fumbler and then became a very secure ball handler for GB.

Taylor: 18 fumbles in 926 attempts

Dobbins: 5 fumbles in 725 attempts

I picked these two because they are from the same conference and both ranked about the same. With how important the turnover battle is in the NFL, I would be concerned. If Taylor is there in the 3rd round (not very likely), then go get him. I am never a fan of picking a running back high in the draft.

It's going to be real interesting to see what Dobbins clocks for a 40 time at his pro day March 25. He gives up nearly 20 pounds to Taylor, but is also an incredible athlete who was putting up 4.45-type times coming out of high school. Speed kills in the NFL, though, and some team is going to be enamored with Taylor's 40 time and size enough to make him the first RB off the board. As mentioned above, NFL coaches believe that fumbling is an issue that can be coached out of RBs.

The top two needs imo is a Milb and a WR. OL, QB?, S. Double up on WR and Milb.

Re:Baun

Is he any different than Martinez? Any faster?

Quick Google says Martinez ran a 4.71 at the combine; Baun ran a 4.65.

Martinez wasn't a bad MLB. Not special, but not bad. But not someone to spend $10M/year on either.

Martinez and Baun's athletic profiles are eerily similar:

Baun 4.65/7.0/4.31 (40/cone/shuttle)

Mart 4.71/6.98/4.20

with very similar height/weight/hands/arms.

Baun's instincts seem really strong, but I'm not sure I want him in the first round. In the second round, perhaps.

A double-dip at WR, a 4th round G/T, a big NT, and a development ILB.

Unless someone drops in our lap, I'd be ok dropping back into the 2nd to pick another top 100 pick also.

This makes more sense to me, but one of the Journel Sentinel reports just said that they thought Gute was more likely or at least willing to move up in the 1st round.

I'd personally prioritize OT along with WR'er, regardless what you do with Bulaga. The Packers have a couple tackles who have pretty intriguing upsides right now, but this class is deep at both those positions. So if we could add one of those in the first two rounds without reaching, I'd be happy there.

As for the NT....the Packers normally don't carry two NT's. Would you be in favor of kicking Clark out to DE in that event or are you just saying just add someone who can help defend the run on the DL?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Ironically, I just posted that in Fackrell thread. Pick up (draft or FA) a starting NT, move Clark to DE in base. For obvious passing downs, Clark moved to NT. Clark-NT-Lowry with Keke backing up DE and Lancaster at backup NT is a decent DL and big improvement over last year.

Conversely, You could get a new starting DE and keep Clark at NT, but that would seem more expensive.

A front of Smith-Clark-NT-Lowry would be really hard to run against without giving up any pass rush to do so.

Ironically, I just posted that in Fackrell thread. Pick up (draft or FA) a starting NT, move Clark to DE in base. For obvious passing downs, Clark moved to NT. Clark-NT-Lowry with Keke backing up DE and Lancaster at backup NT is a decent DL and big improvement over last year.

Conversely, You could get a new starting DE and keep Clark at NT, but that would seem more expensive.

A front of Smith-Clark-NT-Lowry would be really hard to run against without giving up any pass rush to do so.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Dontari Poe makes a ton of sense. Would be a similar situation to a decade ago when the Packers had Pickett and Raji up front.

I think most NFL coaches think they can coach fumbling out of a guy. Ahman Green was a big time fumbler and then became a very secure ball handler for GB.

Well it did take those coaches 5 seasons to get him to fumble less.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ahmangreen/2500887/careerstats

Wasn't his issue essentially that he sweated too much? Once they outfitted him with some sleeves on his forearms his fumble problems disappeared.

I think that happened, but I think the problem was deeper than just sweating too much. I think that was one of those training camp blurbs that deserves to be in the "best shape of my life" thread.

Right, I remember them crediting that partially, but the bigger problem with Green was that he ran with the ball in the wrong hand. Be it right or left, I can't remember which, he never transferred the ball to the outside arm. It was just something he wasn't comfortable with. I can't remember if it was left or right, but just for arguments sake say it was left, every time he gets outside to the right, all the pursuit coming is going to be able to take a big swat at the ball.

Either way, fumbling problems are easily correctible normally. Taylor doesn't run with the ball in the wrong hand. He gets a little loose with it. I don't think this is a big concern for him. If he were available by some miracle in round two, I'd definitely jump on it. He's probably worthy of a round 1 pick, but RB just isn't that big of a priority compared to the more obvious needs. But if Aaron Jones goes down it becomes a pretty big need pretty quickly. The whole offense pretty much revolves around your ability to run the ball, especially that outside zone. You need 2-3 good running backs and Taylor is a guy who played in that very system. Almost zero chance it happens, but I certainly wouldn't let the relatively few fumbles be the reason why.

Yeah, I did see that after I posted. I saw Robinson suggest Poe, I'd throw Snacks Harrison in there, I think either would work. The only issue I'd have is that I think Clark kinda struggled when they kicked him outside this past year. His worst games where when he was playing outside and his best came over the center. I don't know if that was the reason he struggled because he was also a little banged up during that stretch.

Whichever way you go though, we just have to get better than Lancaster. I'd rather see Preston Smith move inside and go with Gary and Za'Darius on the outside than another year of Lancaster as our starter.

Moving Clark off the nose would be a terrible move. Look at how mediocre Raji was after they moved him off the nose. Keep Clark at this natural position and find a upgrade to play next to him.

Archived