Brewer Fanatic

2020 Misc Brewers News

RollieTime
The fact he's a lefty bat with some pop and some positional flexibility leads me to believe he's going to make the opening day roster if he continues to hit this spring training. That's assuming he doesn't get traded before opening day should other teams want him and have a prospect the Brewers could stash in the minors who wouldn't need to be on their 40 man roster.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morrison really doesn't have any positional flexibility.

He played a total of 3 innings in left field in 2018. Those are the only MLB innings he's seen in the outfield in the last four years.

The last time he saw significant action in the outfield was in 2010-2012. He had a UZR/150 worse than -10 in each of those seasons and over those three years combined he had an outfield DRS of -32.

Saying he can play the outfield is like saying Braun has the positional flexibility to play 3B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

.. and we have seen how much Stearns and Co LOVE depth so if Morrison has a great camp I actually think it is likely that Gamel is optioned and Morrison starts the year with the club.

There is currently a guy arguing with me on Twitter who believes that Stearns didn't know that Morrison would flat out refuse to go to AAA when he was signed. I mean, is there really any doubt at all that Morrison was simply signed as a flyer to see if his bat would come back if he's completely healthy? If the bat is toast, why would they want him clogging a spot at AAA even? But this guy on Twitter is trying to argue that Morrison was not truthful with Stearns, and that his comments from a few days ago are nefarious in nature. I mean, come on! There's no way this wasn't the plan with Morrison all along.

We kept Choi when he had no place to play that one year but cut him after a week or two. I could see Morrison breaking camp with the big league team but I would guess he'd be on a real short leash. Especially if an OF got hurt, he'd be gone for sure.

Technically, the Brewers traded Choi to the Rays for Brad Miller. I would assume the Brewers would also be looking to trade Morrison in the same situation.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

We kept Choi when he had no place to play that one year but cut him after a week or two. I could see Morrison breaking camp with the big league team but I would guess he'd be on a real short leash. Especially if an OF got hurt, he'd be gone for sure.

Technically, the Brewers traded Choi to the Rays for Brad Miller. I would assume the Brewers would also be looking to trade Morrison in the same situation.

True he was traded but that's because there was no place for him to play. And he wasn't traded until June 10. I would have guessed it was like mid-April. Logan would be in the exact same situation. Unless Smoak totally craters, then he's probably the one gone.

They put Thames in the corners on a semi regular basis. I have zero doubt they would be willing to put LoMo in a corner outfield spot for the occasional spot start

I'd bet you could put 20 pound weights on Thames ankles and he'd still be faster than LoMo.

I have no idea if the Brewers will keep Morrison or not. I don know if he continues to have a huge spring and doesn't make the Brewers roster he will land on another team's 26 man roster.

He's exactly the type of player teams like Kansas City, Baltimore etc. can easily offer Morrison a spot on their major league roster: he's an inexpensive left handed power hitter with significant major league experience. If he manages to produce at his career norm of .750 one of those second division teams would have no problem flipping him to a contender at the trade deadline.

I have no idea if the Brewers will keep Morrison or not. I don know if he continues to have a huge spring and doesn't make the Brewers roster he will land on another team's 26 man roster.

He's exactly the type of player teams like Kansas City, Baltimore etc. can easily offer Morrison a spot on their major league roster: he's an inexpensive left handed power hitter with significant major league experience. If he manages to produce at his career norm of .750 one of those second division teams would have no problem flipping him to a contender at the trade deadline.

750 is not his career norm, considering he topped that once in the last 7 years. He's much closer to a 700-725 ops guy as a poor defending 1b. Most good teams are pretty set at 1b, flipping a very mediocre 1b doesn't seem likely. Unless he hits like 2017 and not like every year from 2013-2019 besides 2017...there will be better options for the few contending teams that would want 1b help. Certainly possible a team may want him as a PH option, but how much will a team give up for a guy to only PH?

750 is not his career norm, considering he topped that once in the last 7 years. He's much closer to a 700-725 ops guy as a poor defending 1b. Most good teams are pretty set at 1b, flipping a very mediocre 1b doesn't seem likely. Unless he hits like 2017 and not like every year from 2013-2019 besides 2017...there will be better options for the few contending teams that would want 1b help. Certainly possible a team may want him as a PH option, but how much will a team give up for a guy to only PH?

Baseball Reference has his career line at: .239/.324/.426 (.750 OPS) across 980+ MLB games.

Yeah I'm not going to lose any sleep if we're not able to stash Logan Morrison in AAA.

I tried to do a count on it. It's literally impossible to fit him unless they go with 12 pitchers. Enjoy your showcase and go door2door peddling your goods lomo.

He would simply take Gamel's spot, both Gamel & Healy would go to AAA

That's some terrible OF defense on a Cain rest day. He makes very little sense in at 1b with Smoak.

Archived